Author Topic: Fixed Power...still a good idea?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline azmike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Fixed Power...still a good idea?
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:47:00 AM »
I'm getting ready to buy a new rifle this summer-TC Encore in 7mm-08.  This will be a do-all medium game gun/target rifle.  

Thinking about using a Weaver K-series fixed 6x scope.  Any opinions?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:25:12 AM »
AZmike, Depends on where you hunt. You don't list a location but if az stands for arizona it would probably be a very good choice. I really like fixed 6x scopes for open country hunting. 2&1/2 to 3 for woods hunting.

I haven't used the new weaver scopes but hear a lot of good things about them. Regards, Byron  :D
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline azmike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:50:58 AM »
I'll be using it in southern AZ,  mostly in smaller canyons, the occasional trip back home to Eastern WA/Columbia Gorge mulies.  Maybe whitetail in the Ozarks (but I have a Marlin in .35 Remington for that).

Mainly, I'm looking to simplify things.  I have a Ruger 77 in 7mm Remington mag with a 3-9 variable on it, and I only adjust it off 5-6x at the range.  So, I figured that I might as well just use a fixed power scope, even though they seem to be getting harder to find, and the variables are sometimes cheaper.  

I also like the ides of fewer moving parts= durability.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 08:16:21 AM »
I'm with you.  I keep buying variables because I see them on sale, but when it come right down to it a fixed is all I have ever needed for hunting - and most shooting. Despite so many assurances that the variables are just as dependable and durable, I just can't help but think that you can't beat simplicity.  I have had a Weaver K4, but that was many years ago and I don't have any experience with the new Weavers.  I read and hear they are very good.  I have had good success with my Nikon 4X40 Buckmaster - one of my favorite scopes, and I think one of the better values out there.  I am thinking about a Nikon Monarch 6X42.  I think the Monnarch line is very good, and The Optic Zone has that model for $225.   :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 02:13:58 PM »
That scope is just awesome (the Nikon Monarch 6x42).  Leupold also has good fixed scopes, but I would get that Monarch.  I own many Monarch variables, and they have never let me down...never.  And I too have bought many of my Nikons from Jon at the Optic Zone.

Zachary

Offline azmike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 03:34:23 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the Monarch 6x42.  My dad swears by his Nikon scope, but I have never owned one.  I have a Weaver K-2.5 (an old one) that I like a lot.  Was originally thinking about a fixed power Leupold, but we'll see.  They seem a bit pricey to me.  Maybe they are worth it, I don't know.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 04:40:52 AM »
Another one I am interested in is the Sightron SII6x42 (about $200).  I have one other Sightron SII and it is a fine scope.  On the other hand, I've had nothing but excellent experiences with Nikon.  Decisions, decisions....... :)
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 05:22:05 AM »
I have always thought but not put into practice that a 6X scope fits most of my needs.  Normally when I hunt I have my variable scope set on the lowest power.  But I have found myself cranking the scope up to full power a couple of times in recent years.  I had a group of bucks across a canyon that kept changing places with each other.  By cranking up to 10X I was able to make a one shot kill. After the shot I cranked the scope down to it's lowest power.  I did this in case the deer jumped up as I approached.  I wanted a full view.

The worse thing was all my wobbles showed up at 10X and I had to work at controlling them.

I know that as I age my eye sight is declining.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 01:41:36 PM »
I have a Weaver K6, just took it off   my Handi 22 Hornet and put it on my new Ruger 10/22 Carbine, It is an excellent scope.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 02:43:01 PM »
And so is the Nikon Pro Staff 4X.............

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 06:03:21 PM »
I find the 6X a little too much for where I hunt.  It would be nice for the target work though.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline NYStillhunter

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 09:05:06 AM »
I use a 6x from the Daks and thick woods in NE Pa to Montana and Wyoming hunting. Works for me! NYS

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 11:12:10 AM »
Went thru the same quandary last year. Put the 6x Monarch on the 7mm mag and have been super happy ever since. I find I now have a much faster target acquisition.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 11:13:13 AM »
Went thru the same quandary last year. Put the 6x Monarch on the 7mm mag and have been super happy ever since. I find I now have a much faster target acquisition.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 08:43:11 AM »
hello, if i were to start all over i would buy a high power scope for load devolopement only then use fixed power scopes on my hunting rifles..i remember a 257 roberts i had & used a fixed 4 power-didn't know any better & guess what worked fine!!i don"t hunt prairie dogs & i"m always on 3-4 power anyway...i like the f.o.v. there..yes fixed are not always cheaper do to the popularity of variables."but" i like them.

Offline menotomyhunter

Re: Fixed Power...still a good idea?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 05:59:10 AM »
I have used a Leupold M8-6X for years on a Ruger M77/6mm Remington for deer hunting in northern CA. Great combo. Fewer things to go wrong in the field with a fixed power scope plus you don't ever have to worry whether the POI changes with power setting. I think 6X is an excellent choice.
mh

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 07:46:55 AM »

I don't know about the rest, but I shoot multiple deer each year, legal for xtra does, they are thick here in Ks.  take most shots at about 80-120 yd.  long shot 225yd.  I always leave my 2-8 Leopold on 5x, (my lucky number) 
When I see a deer or group, I stay still and don't take my eyes off them, and quickly make a decision and then starch the unlucky one.  3006 165gr. never fails, I have never had a deer not fall dead.  Seems to me that when we talk around the campfire more guys go home empty because they wait too long, or mess around with their gadget scope.  I am talking about a clean safe shot with backing, saftey first,  messin with your scope just invites a dose of the dreaded disease, "buckfeaver"  If it is your fate to kill a trophy, he will come out first. 
besides, all Ks. deer taste real good.
If I buy another scope for deer hunting it will be a good quality 4-6 fixed.  you can buy one for 1/2 the cost of comparable variable. 

Offline loaded4bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »
Another awesome fixed power scope to consider is the Weaver Grand Slam 4.75X40. Nearly indestructable, quality optics at a reasonable price. Part # is 800472.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/pg2_3/pg2_3.html
NRA ( life member)
NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife WCC (volunteer)
NJDF&W Hunter Education Instructor
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (member)

Offline service rifleman1

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 06:17:46 PM »
I have had great results with my Leupold M8 4 power scope.  I am looking at another 4 power made by Pilade, it is Russian made I believe. Would like any feedback on the 4 * 32 Pilade scope. Thanks

Offline 7mm MAGNUM

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 09:05:31 AM »
I own a 6x42 Springfield Armory riflescope thats mounted on my .300 Ultra Mag.
and LOVE it!  :)

I just did a search on ebay and found one just like it,.... if your interested in looking or
want to ask the seller any questions about it here's the link to the page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Springfield-Armory-6X42-Sniper-Scope_W0QQitemZ330053993060QQihZ014QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330053993060
Shoot Straight & Stay Safe!   :D

Terry Webster

Life Member NAHC
Life Member NAFC
Life Member NRA
Michigan Steelheaders Assn
MUCC
Michigan Bow Hunters Assn