Author Topic: range time with the 454 casull  (Read 418 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
range time with the 454 casull
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:11:59 AM »
Today is the first chance I got to get to the range with my 454 after it got back to me from the factory.
I put a new T/C 2.5-7 scope on it with 3 weaver high rings and weaver base and butler creak flip up scope covers.

The load was 300 gr cast gas checked bullets over 29.0 grs of 296

The first 4 rounds I shot out of this barrel was some hand loaded Speer shot capsules with #9 shot at 25 yards the shot was so far apart I was lucky to hit the paper 5 times.
After the 4 rounds of shot I went ahead and loaded the full power 454 loads and went to sight it in, at 25 yards, the first shot hit 2” high and 3” to the right dialed it in to hit to the left and 2 nd shot hit 2” dead center. I then tried to move the impact down the 2” to hit dead center but I ended up moving the turret 15 times and the point of impact did not change. I ended up shooting another 15 rounds at the target for a total of 17 rounds shot at the target. I ended up with a 3” 15 round group that is 2” high at 25 yards.
I let a few guys at the range shoot this round and I wish I could had a picture of there face when they touched  this round off  nether of them wanted to shoot the last round.

Do you guys think with  a 15 round 3” group at 25 yards should I keep this barrel?

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »
I suspect you're pulling our leg by asking if you should keep it.  I think you know that's not much for accuracy out of a scoped T/C.  The weird zeroing problem makes me wonder about the scope.  I know it's new, but stranger things have happened.  My stubby 6-1/2" 50-70 T/C is now averaging around an inch or so at 50 yds.  I would expect you will be able to beat that with a little load development.  Good luck, keep us posted.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 01:02:58 PM »
I am going to try and move the target out to  50 yards, and see how it does, I think I will sight it in between 50 and 75 yards, this will be normally  the max I will be shooting at and most shots will be less them, 30 yards.

If the scope still doesn't change It till go back to T/C and see what they will do about it

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:59:31 AM »
rickyp, first of all, I've got a lot of experience messing with this .454 12" barrel.  I have had very, very little success with getting a 300 gr. cast GC to group with anywhere approaching max loads, which you're getting close to.  I've had great success with heavier bullets and heavy charges of H110/W296, and good success with 300 gr. jacketed bullets and 30+ gr. of H110/W296.  And before you give up, try some milder loads and see if they'll group, mine really like 14 gr. Unique behind that 300 gr. GC.  Don't worry about sighting in until you have a good group to adjust from.  Another thing that I really enjoy about the .454 is the versatility, mild loads are great for lots of practice and shoot very, very well out of my barrel, 1 qt. oil bottles are rarely missed at 100 yds. with the 14 gr. Unique combo, 320 gr. LFN GC and 27 gr. H110 is deadly at that range and target as well, I've even regularly hit 1 gal. antifreeze bottles at 150yds.+ with the 320gr. load.  Have fun, don't despair, and maybe your scope is giving you fits!  I shoot mine with a 4x Leupold EER, sighted it in about 3 years ago, haven't touched it since.
selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline rickyp

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 05:51:55 AM »
I must be off a little on my description
I used a sight in target with 1" squares, and the 15 rounds cut a single hole in 4 of the 1" squares. 2 across and 2 down (2 on top and 2 on bottom). so it covered 4 of the little 1" squares. I measured from top corner of the top square to the bottom corner of the bottom square so it was just about 3" diagonally.