Author Topic: New/Used Contender Owner  (Read 631 times)

Offline shamrock

• Trade Count: (0)
New/Used Contender Owner
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
Hi Guy's!
I recently purchased a used Contender in a 357 Mag. cal. w/a 10" barrel.My question is...is this caliber too small for deer? What is the difference between the 357Mag. & the 357Max. which has been mention in this forum? Should I look for a larger caliber? My Contender also has Pachmeyer grips & fore-arm of rubber like material. Should I replace these with the regular stock wooden grips & forearm or keep them? Any input would be appreciated! :-)

Offline KN

New/Used Contender Owner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
Welcome aboard! Your 357 is enough for dear as long as you are aware of your capabilities. If you are not comfortable with a 357 then buy another barrel. If you are like most of us you will end up with a bucket full of them any way. The 357 max is a lengthened version of the mag. It is within a couple hundred fps of the 35 rem if I'm not mistaken. As for the grips, I hate the stock wood grips. I have never found one that fit me. All my contenders sport Pachmeyer grips.  KN

Offline Gregory

New/Used Contender Owner
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »
Quote from: KN
Welcome aboard! Your 357 is enough for dear as long as you are aware of your capabilities. If you are not comfortable with a 357 then buy another barrel. If you are like most of us you will end up with a bucket full of them any way. The 357 max is a lengthened version of the mag. It is within a couple hundred fps of the 35 rem if I'm not mistaken. As for the grips, I hate the stock wood grips. I have never found one that fit me. All my contenders sport Pachmeyer grips.  KN

I agree with everything KN said.  THe 357 Mag will work, just keep your shots 50-75 yds max.  

You can always have the barrel made into a 357 Max (my favorite deer caliber) at a later date.

I prefer the Pachmeyer grips on a Contender myself.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline 22popnsplat

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
New/Used Contender Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »
kinda funny , my contenders have pachys on them to , I like the hanger bar setup that the forend uses. I have over a dozen barrels and they shoot great.

Offline shamrock

New/Used Contender Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 12:13:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies,guy's! I'll stick with the 357Mag. barrel that I have now & maybe later on try a different caliber. I have had thoughts on the 35Rem. as a deer cartridge. Would this be better than a 30-30? Should I go to a longer barrel than the 10"? I also need to put a scope on this Contender. Fixed or variable? Any particular brand or let my wallet decide?

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
New/Used Contender Owner
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:58:51 AM »
Be sure to use proper hunting-style bullets in that 357 as a 10 inch closed-breach pistol should get you quite a bit more velocity than a revolver.

At the ranges discussed I would stick to a 2x fixed power scope or a red dot. This forum generally prefers Burris, Leupold and Nikon for 2x scopes and Ultradot for the red dot sight.

Both the 30-30 and the 35 rem are good. That will be the time to get your 14" tube.

Offline shamrock

New/Used Contender Owner
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
EdK...Thanks for the info! I guess that's all the questions I have at this time. This forum has really been a big help! Thanks to all!