Author Topic: .22 DUD  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
.22 DUD
« on: April 01, 2003, 07:53:55 PM »
Guys:

Ran into a real "dud" tonight at the range.  After testing different ammo throughout the night, I loaded some "picnic shells" in my Ruger....just to work on trigger basics.  All was going well until I pulled the trigger for the last time, at which time gun went off, but it failed to eject the case.   :?   That's happened before on rare occasions, but the recoil was much lighter than anything I ever felt before....and I shoot a lot of low velocity match ammo.

Anyway, I jacked the empty case out and assessed the situation.  The round had obviously gone off...as the case was empty and their was no powder residue to be found. Nevertheless, I opted to "take a look".  I removed the magazine, broke the gun down, removed the bolt and took a look from the breech end of the gun up through the barrel...NO LIGHT!

:eek: The bullet was logged about one-half of an inch into the barrel!  It was just about that time when that "cold chill" came over me.  Oh man, my worst nightmare had almost come true.   :shock:

Anyway, I was shooting F*d*r*l hollow points...when this occurred.  I have shot THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of .22's and have never a .22 cartridge go pop and send the bullet into the riflings.

Any of you guys ever have this happen to you...and do you know how easy it can be to load another cartidge into the chamber?

PLEASE BE SAFE!    ...Chris
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
.22 DUD
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 12:08:52 PM »
I know a guy that had a yellow boy lever gun, the one with the brass reciever. Don't remember what calliber it was but he went to shoot it one day and when he opened the action an empty case fell out. He figured his son had been shooting it and failed to eject the last case. What actually happened was that his load was too long for the action and the rifling had pulled the bullet from the case when he ejected it. Then chambered a fresh round on top of the stuck bullet pushing the second bullet into the case. You can just imagine what happened next. Buy buy yellow boy. Luckily he wasnt injured too bad.  KN

Offline Savage

.22 DUD
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 02:42:35 PM »
Squib rounds are nothing new. Anyone who has done a fair ammount of shooting has experienced them. Anytime a round doesn't sound right, CHECK THE BORE! Carry a squib rod! If a squib is suspected insert the rod from the muzzle thru to the boltface as a quick check for an obstruction. If there is one, a couple of taps with the brass hammer everyone carries in their range bag along with the rod will clear it.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
.22 DUD
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 02:53:12 PM »
Chris:

I've got the same tee shirt.  Know all about that cold chill.  Got mine foolin around with .44 roundball loads in a Super Blackhawk.  I managed to stack two of them mid-barrel before thinking about the abnormal report.

What did ya do with the rest of that box of F*d*ral ammo??
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Chris

• Contributor
.22 DUD
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 06:16:03 PM »
Savage:
"Squib" round...that's new one for me...and so was this experience.  Guess I should consider myself lucky after all of these years, especially considereing the number of rounds I've touched-off.

Dennis:
The ammo has been quarentined.  Trying to decide if I should take it back to Wally's or not...?  Hey...if you pay the freight you can have it!  HA!    :)

Like I said guys...it was a sobering experience!

Be Safe!   ...Chris    :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline jhm

.22 DUD
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 02:27:39 AM »
Chris:  Shoot the rest of the ammo up, just always be aware that it happened and it could happen again, of all the millions of rounds manufactured there is going to be a dud, not to say its OK by no means but they do manu. alot of ammo. :D   JIM

Offline Savage

.22 DUD
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 07:10:26 AM »
Chris,
As jhm said: go ahead and shoot the stuff. Just be aware of any thing out of the ordinary. I've had misfires and squibs with high dollar ammo too! Happens more frequently with rimfire though. It's been years since I had a problem with premium centerfire ammo. Just consider it a learning experience that you didn't have to learn the hard way!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
happened to me,
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 10:11:05 AM »
I was shooting my own reloads :oops: and heard less than normal report and felt less than normal recoil.  Thing was I was shooting a 44 mag revolver and automatically I had pulled the hammer back and was drawing a bead and then stopped suddenly with that cold chill you mentioned.

Turned out that there was no powder in this cartridge (best to reload alone with no distractions-but this is no excuse).  Possibly a good thing has come of it, both my sons are getting into reloading and the experience that I have shared with them hopfully will help them.  Just like your sharing your experience will inform someone that is unaware of this danger.

Good reflexes (not shooting).

Stay safe.

Fred :D
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Savage

.22 DUD
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 10:51:39 AM »
HH,
Anyone who has reloaded for any length of time has had a simular experience. I loaded single stage for 30yrs without mishap so guess I was due. Got a new progressive press and loaded up a batch of .45-------off to the weekend IDPA match I went. Every 3rd or 4th round I would get a squib. Some of the bullets made it out of the barrel, some didn't. That really had me scratching my head untill I took the powder measure apart and found some of the foam seal material from the powder bottle at the bottom that would from time to time obstruct the powder. Since then I've had no problems, but I'm a little wiser now.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Bug

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Been there too!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 02:33:03 AM »
Yars ago, I had a factory .44 mag round go "Poof". Checked everything out, & found the bullet lodged in the forcing cone with enough clearance that I COULD have fired another round. Just good reinforcement to check CAREFULLY anytime everything doesnt seem just right.
  Another time I was pulling down factory .300 Weatherby ammunition for case head expansion comparison tests, and found a curlique of brass that had somehow found it's way into the case before being loaded! It was about 1" long, and, in retrospect, I wish I had weighed everything out and recorded the details. Now, it's relegated to the file of odd things I probably don't need to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.
It's The Little Things That Matter.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
.22 DUD
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2003, 06:56:16 AM »
When squib rounds lodge in the gun, do they cause barrel damage too? I know that the bullet metal is softer, but I have never had this problem.

Also, first time I shot my. 454 I had two shells that did not go off. I thought it might have been the gun, but the primers had good hard hits :?
I was a little worried about what to do, so I let the gun sit facing down range for a while then emptied it. the range man told me to throw them down range :?  I was a little nervous about that, so I let him handle them and I took off. They didn't have a dud box.

Cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Savage

.22 DUD
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2003, 08:33:09 AM »
The bullet stopping in the bore causes no damage. Damage can occur durring removal if the proper squib rod is not used. I shoot mostly lead and carry some hardwood dowel just in case. An aluminum or brass rod works well too.If you shoot enough, you will experience a squib. If you detect it before you fire another round you're ok. Most everyone I know carries a squib rod in their range bag---------just in case!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline singleshotbuff

.22 DUD
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 11:57:01 AM »
Chris,

I recently bought a brick of Federal .22s and out of 500 rounds I proabaly had 200 with sub par ballistics, including 2 that stuck in the bore. Fortunately I'm very careful with odd sounding rounds, so no harm done. Just about does me in on Fed .22 ammo.

SSB
Keep shooting until it quits moving.

Offline Savage

.22 DUD
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 12:06:14 PM »
SSB,
I tried to use the Federal Bulk .22 ammo for rimfire falling plates. I would average 2 misfires per match (48 Plates). My scores are bad enought without giving away 2 or 3 plates per match. I am now using CCI mini mags. I've never had a misfire in any of my Rugers using this stuff!
I'll burn up the Federal plinking and I'll not buy anymore.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline .45 COLT

• Contributor
.22 DUD
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2003, 03:03:14 AM »
I've had bad experiences with Federal Lightning's and Remington bulk. Never stuck one but some real strange sounds coming out of the guns. Put a few over the chrono and they were all over the place. Federal bulk has always been good (for me, anyhow) and so has any Remington other than bulk. I guess you can get bad lots with just about anything.
On the 19th of April, 1775, a tyrannical government sent an army to disarm its citizens. They ran into a touch of trouble.