Author Topic: Reloading OOPS  (Read 585 times)

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Reloading OOPS
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:57:09 PM »
Need pix of revolvers blown apart to show new reloader why he needs several good manuals and some common sense. Know where to find them?

Offline Jon_E

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading OOPS
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »
The link has the story and pictures you seek.

Oversize Bullets, Reduced Powder Charges
and
other Blowup Stories
Jon

Lifes funny.... you can sleep off a drunk, but you cant sleep off ugly.

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading OOPS
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »
:D Several years ago, a friend who reloaded gave me a couple of boxes of .44 mag reloads.  I took them to the range, charged up the old Ruger SBH and popped one off.  I thought it seemed a little hot, but remembered my friend saying, "there is only a tiny bit of difference between a hot load and an overload."  Ah shucks, it has a little kick, but I sent another one down range.  On the third shot the strap over the cylinder was buldged up, and the barrel was pointed downward, no longer in alignment with the cylinder which was frozen and could not be moved.  There were three live rounds left in the gun.  I took the gun to a smith, he got the cylinder out and the three live rounds, and sent the gun aalong with one round to Ruger for their evaluation and hopefully to repair (replace) the gun.  Ruger returned their findings with regrets that the gun was not being replaced.  The reloads were grossly overloaded.  My friend and I pulled the bullets and checked most of the remaing rounds.  All were overloaded.

My point, if you intend to shoot reloads, be darn sure of the ability of the individual who is loading them for you, or that you purchase them from.  Never, never, never pick up a round at the range (or some other location) and put it in your gun, unless you know wher it came from.  I heard of some creeps that overload to the point that someone make be hurt, then leave the rounds where they can be found in hopes thay they blow your gun up.

Oh, and today, well over 42 years I still carry a large scar on my hand fron the .44.  I had powder burns (mabe metal) blow back in my face and may have lost an eye had I not been wearing glasses.

Tell your friend if he intends to start reloading, get the best books available and read them, it is also advisable to hook up with an experienced reolader and tap him for knowledge/advice too. :roll:

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Reloading OOPS
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:27:30 PM »
The ill effects of overloading are all too common, people just looking to get more power than they should, that is what bigger calibers are for.  My buddies dad blew up his .44 black powder because "black powder doesnt have the same power as the newer powders"  wrong.  Having correct load data for each projectile is very necessary.  Good to see you showing him what that means.   :D
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."