Author Topic: DECISIONS,DECISIONS,DECISIONS!!!  (Read 478 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
DECISIONS,DECISIONS,DECISIONS!!!
« on: June 13, 2006, 01:48:51 AM »
Super .38 is the quest.
There are a number of commercially available offerings by COLT, KIMBER, KAHR, TAURUS and STI--not to mention SVI.
The Colt is a good choice as are the others---but/however/still I have wanted a 6" long slide for a few years. I guess size does matter.  :oops:
STI has an offering of such a weapon in a Trojan with the 6" long slide for about a grand.
Afriend has one in another caliber and he likes it, though he says the longer sight radius is slower to get back on target.
I am wondering, how much longer? Is it appreciable? Really all that slower? Would it be enough to be a concern?
General discussion is what I am seeking.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:28:21 AM »
williamlayton - geez, I don't know if a long slide is slower to get back on target, I think it might but hay, it depends on whatcha wanna use the 38 Super for......

If it is for defensive purposes, get a Colt Commander in 38 Super.  If for target and field use, get the long slide.  I do not know how much more you might get out fo a long slide in terms of velocity, but as for accuracy just make certain your barrel headspaces on the case mouth - makes the 38 Super much more accurate.  Mikey.

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 03:37:00 AM »
I just had to get a long slide 1911 for bullseye shooting. It's the closest thing to a safe queen that I own. I just prefer the shorter guns.  I'm shooting this with a weaver ramp and a red dot sight, which makes it heavier than a long slide with iron sights.
Safety first

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »
I am wondering, how much longer? Is it appreciable? Really all that slower? Would it be enough to be a concern?

I Really Dont Think So...
I mean, once you have that Indian in that rear buckhorn sight, you will
Probably find that the front blade is already there & centered.
IMO it's all in the familiarity gained through handling.

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:52:33 PM »
Don't forget to look at the EAA witness. They have a couple of .38 super models.