Author Topic: Buffalo Bore 45/70 Gov't magnum ammo  (Read 1689 times)

Offline rms4570hr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Buffalo Bore 45/70 Gov't magnum ammo
« on: June 14, 2006, 08:17:59 AM »
Has anyone tried the buffalo bore 45/70 Gov't magnum ammo in their H&R ultra rifles.Is this a safe load ?

rms270hr
You know handi rifles are like lays potato chip's with the chip's you can't eat just one same with the handi rifle's you can't buy just one.

rms270hr

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 08:22:30 AM »
Yup, read their info under the ammo listings for their .45-70 Magnum ammo! I load my own hotter than their specs, no problems!!

All .45-70 Magnum loadings are intended for use in the following firearms:
All Marlin Model 1895 variations made since 1972
Browning Model 1885 and 1886
New England Arms Handi-Rifle which includes the BC and Ultras on SB2 frames :wink:
Ruger #1 and #3
T/C Encore
Shiloh, Christian and Pedersoli Sharps
New Production Winchester 1886

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#4570

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 08:26:29 AM »
Hey tim you don't think thier magnum load's would be to much stress on the reciever like stretch
You know handi rifles are like lays potato chip's with the chip's you can't eat just one same with the handi rifle's you can't buy just one.

rms270hr

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:41:29 AM »
Nope, like I said, I shoot hotter loads than they list in mine and have never had problem.

Their loads are capped at about 40kcup, well within the load capability of a modern SB2 frame, if you look at Hodgdon's data in their Annual, you'll see that max loads for the leverguns are right at 40kcup, the 300gr Sierra HP is listed at 2424fps as a max load, the same bullet is listed at 2532fps in the modern rifle loads with max pressures of 50kcup, the Handi is somewhere in between in strength.

I seriously doubt many are going to choose to shoot these heavy loads in a Handi, the recoil is punishing, but you can if you want to. :wink:

The recoil of a 300gr bullet moving at 2400fps in a Handi is going to be just about the same as a .375 H&H!!

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Buffalo Bore 45/70 Gov't magnum ammo
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 03:41:56 PM »
 i look at the buffalow bore 45/70 magnum amo site and read this All .45-70 Magnum loadings are intended for use in the following firearms:
All Marlin Model 1895 variations made since 1972
Browning Model 1885 and 1886
New England Arms Handi-Rifle
Ruger #1 and #3
T/C Encore
Shiloh, Christian and Pedersoli Sharps
New Production Winchester 1886. do not use this amo in the pedersoli sharps, i dont care what they claim. pedersoli onley proofs there sharps at 30% higher than saami spec's.this is taken from pedersoli
 Pedersoli Proof Test Rules and Allowable Limits.t should be noted that in the USA, Federal or State Law does not require the proof testing of civilian firearms and there is no national proof house in the USA for such testing.

Only military contract firearms receive high pressure proof testing under strictly controlled conditions. All other firearms may or may not be proof tested by the manufacturer in some manner and if proof testing is performed, there is no government supervision or control so the customer must rely upon the manufacturers’ reputation in regards to the firearm strength. Fortunately, even though commercial firearms made in the USA do not have proof testing marks they are found to be strong enough for commercial ammunition made according to recognized SAAMI pressure ratings and the customer relies upon the reputation of both the gun and ammo manufacturer.

PEDERSOLI PROOF TESTING STATEMENT

All Pedersoli rifles are proof tested at the (Italian government) National Firing Proof House with smokeless powder cartridges with a pressure exceeding that of the ‘commercial’ factory made ammunition by 30 %. this means that the max pressure that the pedersoli sharps is subjected to is around 37709.1 cup so please any one that has a pedersoli sharps stick to pedersoli recomended max loads which is 29007 cup .if you want to read the whole thing go to http://www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm and go to tech info and scroll down till you see Pedersoli Proof Test Rules and Allowable Limits. i have seen one let go and dont want to se an outher or read of some one being hurt .
bernie :)
if its feral its in peril

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 05:40:08 AM »
   Yeah i read all the info on their site on the magnum 45/70 but was wondering if anybody here has shot any of this ammo through their handi rifles and how accurate is it.I know the recoil is probley going to be bad but im thinking about getting these to deer hunt with and want be shooting to many at the firing range ;D just enough to set the scope in.

rms270hr :)

rms270hr

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 05:50:33 AM »
As discussed many times before, the receiver (SB2) can take any pressure the .450 Marlin can be safely loaded to.

This new forum look is pretty nice, I think I like it!  ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 05:54:51 AM »
At $50 a box shipped, the price is pretty restrictive for deer IMO. I would recommend you try the Federal 300gr loads, cost is almost half of the BB ammo and would be a great deer load. Another choice would be the Hornady Leverevolutuion ammo at $20 a box.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=318332

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=413144

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 06:02:14 AM »
As discussed many times before, the receiver (SB2) can take any pressure the .450 Marlin can be safely loaded to.

Or even the .500 S&W at 50kpsi!!

Tim

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:39:25 AM »
Yeah i looked at the hornady leverevolution but midway want have any till the 9/25/2006 :( so i have been looking at the remington 300 gr hollow points they have along with the winchester super-x

rms270hr

rms270hr