Author Topic: 38sp FPS help  (Read 327 times)

Offline terry-1

• Trade Count: (0)
38sp FPS help
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:46:56 PM »
I am shooting a factory loaded 158gr xtp out of my 10" T/C contender and wondered if anyone had a idea of the FPS. The factory shows the load to shoot 800fps out of a 4" revolver? I am mainly wondering how much the typ 38sp would gain using the 10" contender barrel? Thanks for any idea's

Offline swampthing

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
38sp FPS help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 04:34:42 PM »
You are shooting ammo that typically loaded with a faster burning pistol powder like HS-6 or AA#5. Due to the burning efficiency of those types of powder the longer barrel would likely provide an additional 100-125fps. Unlike the magnums, which tyically use slower burning "magnum" powders, which get a jump of around 200+fps.

Offline Racepres

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
38sp FPS help
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 05:54:57 PM »
I will not be the one to lecture you about how a chronograph is cheaper than a barrel today... I will however tell ya that I will never be without my chrono... have had it for years now, and find it indispensible, as a reloading tool. But I would be glad to get some ammo of this type and shoot it in my barrel , over my chrono, and give you the results.... fun for me , but not much good for you.  All this to tell you that no two barrels are even near the same... Your mileage may vary... MV