Author Topic: Bersa .380's your view  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Bersa .380's your view
« on: June 15, 2006, 04:47:18 PM »
I actually want a Bersa .22 Rimfire but can't find one to buy (firestorm)  so I guess I may end up with a Bersa thunder .380 What is you view of this pistol ? I know nothing about handguns
   I handeled a Bersa mod. 23 in .22 had 3 dot sights adj. rear and nice grips. Plus a 25 yd target that was outstanding.  But a guiy bought it before I could reach my wallet.

Offline PaulS

Re: Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:07:51 PM »
Quote from: Country Boy
I actually want a Bersa .22 Rimfire but can't find one to buy (firestorm)  so I guess I may end up with a Bersa thunder .380 What is you view of this pistol ? I know nothing about handguns
   I handeled a Bersa mod. 23 in .22 had 3 dot sights adj. rear and nice grips. Plus a 25 yd target that was outstanding.  But a guiy bought it before I could reach my wallet.

Country Boy,
because of that one statement I will tell you the same thing I tell anyone in the same situation:
Buy a revolver as your first gun. once you are familiar with a wheel gun you can get an auto loader and learn to use it well. If you buy the auto first you will probably regret it.
As for brand of revolver - Smith and Wesson has a real nice trigger pull right out of the box but as a neww shooter you may not appreciate that as much as having a gun that is built to last two to three times as long - if you plan on having your gun for a lif-time and you don't want to have to have it tuned and rebarreled then get a Ruger and shoot it until the trigger smoths out - With the Ruger you don't need to buy "snap-caps" to practice dry firing - you will want to buy them for a Smith and Wesson. Although Dan Wesson makes a fine weapon I would stay away from them because you can get into trouble if you are not careful about setting the barrel properly.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline aaronrkelly

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:07:36 AM »

I dont know everything about handguns but I do know one, very important thing........very wise words.

BUY WHAT YOU WANT

If you buy that .380 its not going to be what you want, your not going to be happy with it no matter how great a gun it is....because its not what you wanted.  I have "settled" for a few guns, never was the same.

As to the Bersa Thunder .380 - I have one, great gun.  Adjustable sights, accurate, reliable and rings in at $200 new.  Mines been great.....but if you want a .22 then pass.  50rds of .380 cost $10 to $11 - for that same money you can get 10+X the same ammo in .22lr.

Get what you want, even if you have to wait a while.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »
I agree with Aaron. The .380 is not cheap to shoot. Can shoot a 9mm a lot cheaper. If you decide on the .380, go for the Bersa. I have one and it has been great in all respects. Put some Loc-tite on the grip screws. They will loosen up.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline dcewolf

Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 04:24:34 AM »
I love my Bersa 380...great gun for the $$ and I know several people who have owned Walthers switched to Bersas and say they will never go back.  I just picked up a .22 (Firestorm), but I did have to order it.  

If you think you would prefer the .22 just start checking the local gun shops to see if they can order one for you.  The .22 is alot cheaper to shoot for plinkin purposes!

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:06:17 AM »
I keep checking the auction gunsites and local shops but no luck. You are right I really don't want a .380. A .22 is right for my purpose. If any one sees a .22 firestorn or model 23 please let me know !

Offline dcewolf

Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:58:38 AM »
I keep checking the auction gunsites and local shops but no luck. You are right I really don't want a .380. A .22 is right for my purpose. If any one sees a .22 firestorn or model 23 please let me know !

I know that impactguns.com lists them.  I've never done business with them so I don't know what they are like.  Of course you need a FFL dealer for them to ship to (the dealer will probably have a fee for delivery there).  Here's a link:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/firestorm.html

Offline Old Griz

Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »
:cb2: Country Boy, I suggest you save up and get a quality .22 automatic like a Browning Buckmark, or a Ruger Mark II or III. Neither is gonna break the bank, and you will have a reliable, accurate firearm that you can depend on. There's a reason why more of these are sold than any other. They're good. Also, it's easy to get new magazines, holsters, and other accessories for them.

If you are really stuck on the Bersa/Firestorm, I don't understand why any local firearms dealer couldn't order one for you. It would only take him a few minutes to call Sports South, or whoever his wholeseller is. He can tell you how much it's gonna cost, and probably how long it will take to arrive.

Good luck.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 04:43:59 AM »
The dealers tell me they no longer make the model 23 or firestorm. So any I would find  are either old stock or used. But I'm still looking so keep me in mind. I shot one of the lightings and it is very accurate with the 3 dot adjustable sight Yhe model 23 is also very good.  I just want something light to carry when I'm on the river wading, I'm afraid of snakes. I've had the Rugar and Buck mark, great guns but a little ackward and heavy when wading. I did have a tarus .22 revolver with good sights and it was very accurate. Keep the input coming, I really appreciate your help. Carl

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 04:46:00 AM »
The dealers tell me they no longer make the model 23 or firestorm. So any I would find  are either old stock or used. But I'm still looking so keep me in mind. I shot one of the lightings and it is very accurate with the 3 dot adjustable sight Yhe model 23 is also very good.  I just want something light to carry when I'm on the river wading, I'm afraid of snakes. I've had the Rugar and Buck mark, great guns but a little ackward and heavy when wading. I did have a tarus .22 revolver with good sights and it was very accurate. Keep the input coming, I really appreciate your help. Carl

Offline 222

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 06:28:12 AM »
If I was hiking where there are snakes I would want a 38 spec., 9mm, or 22 mag and loaded with the first couple of rounds with CCI shot loads. Snakes are hard to hit with solid bullet and if one is on the water shot is less likely to recicette. Shot works well, when I lived on the farm we shot over 150 rattlers one summer and most with 38 with shot.

Reason I always loaded 2 shot and rest hard noses if 2 rounds of shot don't stop a bull, dog or human from attacking hopefully hard cast will.
My 2cent worth

Offline dcewolf

Bersa .380's your view
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 10:19:41 AM »

Well, I couldn't resist since I just got one at a dealer locally that he had to order....

I called SGS Importers the folks that import the Firestorms (http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/)... they say it is still in production.  Wholesalers that are actually getting some in next week are Davidsons, Ellet Bros, and I think she told me Sports South too.  So I don't know what the folks you talked to are thinking about but if you want the Firestorm it is still available in Matte black and Duotone.

best of luck with the search

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 05:13:04 PM »
I picked up my Bersa .380 Thunder last week and shot my first box of shells through it.  I couldn't be happier.  It fed reliably and shot accurately enough for what it's design and purpose is, self defense.
The fit and finish are equal to that of semi auto's which are more expensive and more tempremental. 
I got the 7 round  version which I like and between the weight and size, it is perfect for conealed carry.  No, it is not a .45 which I have carried as well but it is a hell of a lot more comfortable to carry and will get the job done in a pinch.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 10:30:11 PM »
I have a Bersa .380 also, and love it.  Check the internet and you will find that is the overwhelming opinion of those who use them.

Mine is a tack driver and very reliable.  It's easy to carry plus and the finish, adjustable sights, reliability, and accuracy are on par or better than many more expensive guns.

I like the product so much, I want to buy their .45 as my next purchase.

Offline aaronrkelly

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 04:15:36 AM »

I like the product so much, I want to buy their .45 as my next purchase.

I have handled their compact 9mm and it was a top notch weapon.  Fit and finish was great and the owner reported flawless reliability.  Seemed like a damn fine weapon.