Author Topic: Handi Action Won't Open  (Read 1032 times)

Offline nef-man

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi Action Won't Open
« on: June 18, 2006, 02:41:32 PM »
Hi Forum - new face here coming at you with a problem for your collective wisdon....

Have been using Handi's for many years now with no major problems; broken firing pin once, loose fit barrel a couple of times, too stiff trigger - all ...... but factory has always been able to fix these at no charge. I have helped out by buying about a dozen+ extra barrels over these many years though.

Have not been using my Handi's for a while now - but recently decided to get back to it.

First thing I did with my 30/30 22" equiped Handi was to take off the synthetic forend to put on a previously fitted 45/70 22" in the usual (correct) manner, put the forend back on, then closed the action. On closing the sound was not the usual sharp click, but more of a loose sound.

I didn't like the sound of that so I reopened the action to see what's up, but when I did the thumb release went all the way down (lower than I've ever seen it go) and stayed down ...... and the barrel stayed locked-up tight. I can't budge it. I've tried everything (short of doing damage) to fiddle with the thumb release and convince the barrel/action to open, but it simply won't budge and the thumb release seems to be not in contact with anything down in there.

Any ideas on what might be going on - had this one before anyone?

Thank You,

Nef-Man

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Handi Action Won't Open
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 05:08:57 PM »
Sounds like your release lever may have slipped out of the notch in the top of the barrel catch. This is what pivots the barrel catch away from the notch in the barrel lug. Does your lever have any spring tension on it or does it just rattle now? There is a way to get the barrel off by drifting out the pins for the trigger, trigger guard and barrel catch. The spring tension on the catch is on the front of the trigger guard inside the frame. I bought a aftermarket muzzleloader barrel a few weeks ago and with the forend off managed to lock it up somehow only my release lever was working and the catch was too. The barrel lug was actually locked up under the standing breech just above the barrel catch. I drifted out the pins to get the barrel back off and sent the barrel back. Make sure you know where everything goes first and it is not hard to put everything back as long as you have a couple slave pins to keep thing aligned. Use brass punches to start the pins to avoid damage to the frame or holes if you go that route.

Good Luck!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Handi Action Won't Open
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »
Welcome aboard!! :D  Busta's advice makes sense to me, use Perklo's downloads to help with the R&R! Might as well do a trigger job while you're at it!!

Tim

www.perkloafm.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nef-man

Handi Action Won't Open
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 04:35:14 PM »
TY for the quick advice - and the welcome aboard. And TY for having this forum - its very helpful. The advice is great, but in my case it would be akin to talking me through my own brain surgery - with me as the surgeon. No, like detective Callaghan told us all long ago ....... 'A man's got to know his limitations'. And I know mine. So, its off to Gardner MA one more time for the little Black Beauty. TY again, Peter J/  :roll:

Offline nef-man

Re: Handi Action Won't Open
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 08:43:36 PM »
UPDATE - My little black beauty 'barrel is stuck locked closed' rifle made the trip back to NEF/H&R and today I got a call from 'Mary' at factory telling me that it was fixed and there was no charge.  ;D

That was nice of them.  :-*

They've even agreed to hold the rifle there while I decide what extra barrel to buy and have fitted.  :-* :-* :-*

I'm trending towards a .357 Mag for rechambering to .35 Remington (have loads of that brass and suitable bullets - and it won't beat me up as much as the Whelen), and maybe get another .30/30 to become a Krag!

I have many of both NEF/H&R and Rossi break open rifles and the NEF/H&R customer service is so superior as to be in its own league.

So, I think its time to clean out the Rossis in favor of the home team - NEF/H&R.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 03:25:10 AM »
Good to hear they tok care of you, did they say exactly what was wrong? Would just like to know if the troubleshooting is up to par? ;D
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline nef-man

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 08:10:37 PM »
What caused the 'won't open' problem? I never did get a 'diagnosis' from the factory - just the superior customer service, so I'll settly for that  ;D. You know, this rifle was purchased by me way back in 1992or3 ..... try that warranty service with just about anything else these days. The usual deal is its 'guaranteed until it breaks' - so, well done H&R! I suspect the suggested trouble shooting and remedy posted here was right on, but, like I said, I know my limitations. TY for the suggestions though.