Author Topic: Shotgun scope on a rifle  (Read 498 times)

Offline Loosecat

• Trade Count: (0)
Shotgun scope on a rifle
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »
I was looking at a Weaver classic 4x32 shotgun scope - weighing in at 8.7 its a wee little thing and might be nice on a lightweight rifle. My question is - if the parallax is set at 50 yards is this going to make any difference at the normal longer hunting ranges I encounter maybe 200-250 yard max?

Many thanks in advance..

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Shotgun scope on a rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »
FWIW, I have a shotgun scope on my .45-70, it's parallax free at 75yds, group size at 200yds is 2½-3", so it's not all that bad for me.

Another Weaver scope you might consider is the K2½x20, it's small, light, 4" of eye relief and has a great field of view, but only comes in gloss. I have one on an NEF .30-30, it matches the light rifle and caliber great.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2527

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2528
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Loosecat

Shotgun scope on a rifle
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 07:24:46 PM »
I was considering that scope as well as the V3 - the rifle is a 6.5x55 so its fully capable of reaching out so I was thinking a fixed x4 would be about right.

Thanks....

Offline Dave in WV

Shotgun scope on a rifle
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 11:14:19 AM »
I'm no expert on optics. As I understand it, a scope set to be parallax free at 50 yards with only 4x will have more parallax under 50 yards than over 50 yards. Focus setting for YOUR eye will affect parallax some. I'm going by my over 50 memory pertaining to correspondence with Leupold two years ago.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
Re: Shotgun scope on a rifle
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 12:31:14 AM »
I have a handi 45-70. Last month I went and put a 2-7x32 ML/shotgun scope on it. I figured that with the recoil, and trying a little hotter loads, it would weather the recoill better! ;D
                                                          snuffer
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.