Author Topic: using different reloading manuel  (Read 541 times)

Offline Myerslake2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
using different reloading manuel
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »
I broke out my reloading equipment after about 14 years and would like to work up a load for my 30-06 using Hornady 165gr boattail spire points.  I have the Sierra reloading manuel from before and don't want to pay the money for a new manuel if I don't have to.  Can I use the reloading data from the Sierra manuel for the 165gr boattail spire point and use a Hornady bullet instead?  I plan to load up to 1gr below max not any closer to max.

Thanks,  Brent

Offline swampthing

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:47:36 PM »
Allways start low and work up.
             I have the 6 edition, {2003}, Hornady manual. They state that Hodgdon's "Varget" and IMR's 4831 gave best results from there 23.75" barreled Win model 70 w/1:10" twist.
             With todays controlled expansion bullets, with thier thicker jackets and harder cores, pressures are will be higher than with "conventional" bullets in some circumstances, start low and work up!
   Using 165-168g HORNADY bullets, the HORNADY manual prints:
Varget--Starting load is 41.4g for 2400fps, and Max is listed as 49.4g for 2800fps.
IMR4831-- Starting load is 50.6g for 2400fps, and Max is listed as 59.5g for 2900fps.
  Don't take my word for it though,  a reloading manual for your cartridge can be bought for less then 10bucks!!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:12:50 AM »
I like to have the books to match the bullets I use. I have 7 manuals and use everyone one them.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Myerslake2005

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:54:26 AM »
thanks for the info.  I think I'll go with Redhawk and buy the manuel.

Brent

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 06:14:59 AM »
And I have several different manuals, and the following load is listed as safe in ALL of them, but please work up to it, but this load has yet to fail to be accurate in ANY .30-06 I've worked with.
165 gr.(insert maker) SPT
57 gr. of IMR 4350
Rem. 9 1/2 primer
I almost sold my M70 Classic FWT before I put this load together, now it's the load I work up to in every new .30-06 I work with!
selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline sawfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 08:57:43 AM »
Think of a library of current reloading manuals as "Insurance Policies" for your eyes and fingers.  Powder burning rates have changed over time, and bullets vary in jacket thickness and material, which can lead to dangerous pressures.  Not spending the money to purchase a current reloading manual is false economy IMHO.
No such thing as too dead.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 03:47:59 AM »
Last count I have 42 different manuals. I never throw away anything.

Selmer's load 165gr anybodys, 57.0grs. IMR 4350, Win WLR's, is the first load I try in every '06 I've ever loaded for( more than 20 now). That load with the new Barnes TSX will kill anything in N. America, and will tell you just what the rifle is capable of. I've never seen any other load in any caliber so consistantly accurate in so many different rifles.
Dave375HH