Author Topic: All around handgun  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Coalminer7

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
All around handgun
« on: June 24, 2006, 01:15:01 PM »
Want to buy a new all around pistol for home defense, carrying in saddle bag while on a horse for snakes and dogs.  think ing of thes guns                              

Ruger SP101
Ruger GP 100
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8
SW 60 3"

Do not want Tarus, too many horror stories some say SW 60 is not the gun Rugers are.  I think I would like adhustable sights.

What would you guys buy???????

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
All around handgun
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 01:18:58 PM »
For the use you specified, I would go with a GP100 or a S&W 686.  I have a GP100 with a 4 inch barrel.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline greenjeans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
All around handgun
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 03:40:43 PM »
Another vote for the GP100. Mine is a 3" fixed sight, built like a tank and accurate enough.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline musicman10_1

All around handgun
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »
I'm just back from the range with a new Ruger GP100 .357 4".  All I can say is: WOW!  What a great gun.
John

Guns & Guitars

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
All around handgun
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:44:30 PM »
Now from a Single Action man. :lol:

This gun will most likely spend the majority of it's life riding close by your side while outdoors. It "may" at some point have to be pressed into defence mode, but for the most part it'll be taking it's shots at varmints, or game, plinking, or just being shot to hear it go boom.

A good double action can be a nice gun, but in most cases you'll be shooting it as a SA anyway.

My vote would be for the Blackhawk.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
All around handgun
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »
Another vote for the Blackhawk :D

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
All around handgun
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 06:41:32 PM »
Either the GP100 or the Blackhawk.  You have more calibers to choose from in the Blackhawk.  Either way you can't go wrong. :agree:

:cb1:

Offline .44splx2

revo only?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:47:53 AM »
I pondered the "everything gun" thing for a really long time. Ended up, happily with a Glock 10mm. 15rnds of 135 grn on up to 220. I'm a revo guy at heart. My only s-a handguns are 10mm. Hard to ignore the capacity. Of the choices given I'd say the GP100. :D
We must pass along/encourage hunting, shooting, the outdoors etcetera. 

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
All around handgun
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 03:49:48 AM »
I'll also chime in for the BH. My first caliber choice would be .41RemMag but if you don't reload then a .357Mag would do it.  You should think about a holster instead of in that saddlebag.  :wink:
Love those .41s'

Offline rockbilly

All around handgun
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 05:42:45 AM »
:D For the purpose you described the Blackhawk in .357 would be my choice.  Plenty of power to handle most any situation with perhaps the exception of grizzyly bear.  Akmmo is cheap, fairly easy to reload, and you can use .38s for practice and fun shooting. :wink:

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
All around handgun
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 09:17:27 AM »
I have a 6" SS GP100 357, very accurate, would be my choice, maybe with a 4" barrel for easier carry...........

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
All around handgun
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »
I've owned all of those on your list. The only one I still have is the S&W Model 60 3" .457 magnum with CTC Laser grips. It's the class act of the bunch.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old Griz

All around handgun
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 07:43:22 PM »
:cb2: I can't believe I'm going to disagree with Graybeard on something!  :shock: (That means I must be wrong!)

I just don't like the Model 60 with .357 loads. I would much rather shoot the SP101 if going with a small .357 mag (3" of course).

I do like all of your other choices, and I love SA firearms. However, if you want a good .357 with adjustable sights for self/home defense, and trail use, you might consider a 3" or 4" S&W K-frame. A Model 66 would be lighter than the Blackhawk or GP100. It would also have a better trigger.

BUT, the Blackhawk is more fun!  :D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
All around handgun
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 04:34:52 AM »
Not necessarily Griz, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is based on the SP101s I've had experience with. NOT very accurate and did not hit very close to point of aim with any loads tried. That makes them useless to me. The S&W 60 3" I now have was obtained when I traded in my original one that was .38 Special only.

I've fired a lot of full house loads in it and I mean the ORIGINAL full house loads not just what is considered full loads today. Mine seems to do fine with them and recoil with the rubber CTC Laser grips is not a problem at all. It's a very accurate little revolver altho a bit heavy for it's size. These days with my eyes I get better groups with the laser than the sights as it's kinda hard for me to see up that close to me so short sight radius guns aren't as accurate as they once were in my hands.

The S&W 66 is my all round favorite .357 Magnum handgun. My current one is a 6" but I've owned and shot the other barrel lengths as well and also the Model 19 which was my first .357 magnum handgun. With it I won by first ever trophy in shooting competition.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

All around handgun
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 08:25:09 AM »
:D I have a Smith 60-9, (.357), it is a wonderful gun for concealed carry, not unpleasent to shoot, and fairly accurate out to about 25-30 yards.  It is not the gun I would want to carry in the back country.  In my opinion the BH is the best for the situation coalminer described, he didn't indicate it would be used for a CCW weapon, but for backpacking and use while on horseback.  

In my opinion,  the larger gun, increased sight radius and six shots would best serve for the intended purpose.  As I have stated many times, the little model 60 does go in my pocket when I go out to the farm.  It is usually loaded with .38 shotshells for rattlesnakes. JMHO :roll:

Offline Old Griz

All around handgun
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 05:33:03 PM »
:cb2: Thank you O' Wise One! I am glad that we agree on the Model 66! My favorite K-frame, however, happens to be a lowly 4" Model 10 that may be the most accurate DA handgun I own. But Coalminer needs a .357, not a .38, so I think he needs a good M66, or 686 (not a K, but still lighter than a GP100!).
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Re: All around handgun
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 09:42:45 AM »
Given the choices listed, I'd pick the GP-100 in four-inch trim, in a holster, not a saddlebag.  I like Blackhawks but think the GP-100 would be a better all-around choice, and as was mentioned, you can shoot everything from powder-puff 38's to full-house 357 ammo with 180-grain Dino-stomper loads.   I don't think weight is as much a consideration for a pack/belt gun (especially while on horseback) as some make it, as long as you have a good belt and holster.  Holster needs a thumbbreak or a safety strap, BTW.

Just curious..........is your horse accustomed to gunfire?  If somebody touched off a 357 a couple feet from MY ears, I'd be very inclined to buck him into the nearest cactus, or rub him off on the nearest tree RIGHT NOW.  Then dance on his crotch with shod feet.  But that's just me.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Savage

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 02:21:32 AM »
As you limited yourself to revolvers, I would reccomend the GP-100 or a Smith & Wesson
- 686. Both in 4", of course!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 03:43:52 AM »
None of the above. If it's to be a truely "all around" handgun it should be able to do the heavy lifting also. My choice would be a 5" or 6" Model 29/629 S&W .44mag. Keep a speedloader with .44 Spl. and one with mags in reserve. Keep it loaded with mags. If you reload just keep 429421's over 9.0 grs. of unique in it. It will do it all. Second choice would be a Super Blackhawk .44, 4 5/8"
Dave375HH

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »
Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8

Then buy yourself a pocket ammo case (they usually hold ten rounds), some 38 special shot shells (for snakes & small stuff), some 38 special, some Winchester 357 Mag Silvertip, and finally if you hand load load up some Ruger Blackhawk level +P+ 357 magnum loads with either 180 or 200 grain bullets and if you don't handload do a google search for Buffalo Bore bullets and get some of their super 180 grain loads.

With the Ruger Blackhawk, you will have a revolver that can easily take +P+ handloads and it will have a deep enough cylinder to handle 200 grain bullets.  You won't find that in most double actions.

Having with you a variety of ammo say two or three of each in a small ammo case in your pocket will give you the versatility on the trail to do all you want with it.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 01:43:50 AM »
None of the above. If it's to be a truely "all around" handgun it should be able to do the heavy lifting also. My choice would be a 5" or 6" Model 29/629 S&W .44mag. Keep a speedloader with .44 Spl. and one with mags in reserve. Keep it loaded with mags. If you reload just keep 429421's over 9.0 grs. of unique in it. It will do it all. Second choice would be a Super Blackhawk .44, 4 5/8"

Maybe you missed his criteria and gun choices. "pistol for home defense, carrying in saddle bag while on a horse for snakes and dogs."
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline slabsides

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 03:34:44 AM »
Here's another vote for the Ruger Blackhawk. Mine is a 6-1/2" stainless. It's heavy as .357's go these days, but all that lovely Ruger steel gives me great confidence in the strength and durability of my gun. I've never owned a GP, though I'd like to. But like another poster up above said, 99% of the time, you'll be shooting single action. The Stainless Ruger Blackhawk in the long barrel trim is about enough gun for most anything, depending on loads. The .44??? Heck, how much deader than dead is dead? And if 180 grains at 1250 fps can't do it, get a rifle!!

Offline Coalminer7

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »
papajohn428,
                    My horses will do OK with gunfire, it is wild dogs that get us in trouble.  Our riding friends had a dog  come after their son.  Horse was cool enough to keep backing around till it could kick the dog in the head, rider was more rattled than the horse.  thanks for the reply.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »
As mentioned before, carry the handgun in a holster. I'd get the GP 100, get an action job done on it and practice shooting it double action. I'd carry my ammo in speed loaders/speed strips on the same belt as the holster.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline MikeH

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 12:12:43 AM »
 Maybe too late for this post but I'll give my .02 anyway. A 4" GP100 would do real well for what you want.  I think you should also think about a S&W mountain gun in .44mag or 45lc. Both can go from mild to wild power levels with factory loaded ammo an even shot shells for snakes and such. IMO the smith will have a better trigger too. Either way I hope you enjoy your new gun.
Mike

Offline ldp4570

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 05:39:01 AM »
Ruger Blackhawk gets a nod, but do not forget the old S&W model 28, it and a marlin 1894c make one heck of a combination.

Offline waynemorgan

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 10:50:06 AM »
S&W 66 or 686 you cant go wroung with any 357

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 01:37:58 PM »
commander lenght 1911 now hows that for being different.
blue lives matter

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »
Since my last post I added a 4" fixed sight GP100 357 to go with my 6" SS GP100.........best revolvers made IMHO......mine are very accurate, even with my ol' 65 year old eyes.........

Offline Frenchy Bodine

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 03:34:45 PM »
I sure like my Model 60. My bbl is 5".
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.