Author Topic: Fawn in distress call  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Tn Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Fawn in distress call
« on: June 25, 2006, 02:58:55 PM »
Has anyone ever used one of these to call in does? I saw a video tape a few years ago of a guy using one that made a blood curtling scream like a fawn that was being attacked by dogs. Didn't take very long before a large doe almost ran over the hunter trying to find the fawn. Seems like this would be a good tool to use if you were looking to thin out the doe herd in your area. Any thoughts?
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Fawn in distress call
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 05:10:14 PM »
I have a couple of them and have used them on many occasions both blind calling and when deer were in sight. So far I've never gotten one single positive response from a buck or doe using them. They just seem to ignore it like they didn't hear it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Fawn in distress call
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 04:05:09 AM »
I read an article about a guy using one to call coyotes. What he called in was a black bear to 40 yards on a dead run. He went back with a partner(to cover his back) during bear season ang got a nice 420 pounder with the same call. He said it may be because golden eagles will hit and kill a fawn but can't carry it away. The bears have learned that a fawn distress call may mean a free meal.
Dave375HH

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Fawn in distress call
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 10:20:25 AM »
I'm not much of a caller so when I do call, I use an electronic call. I must be very bad because the only thing I've ever called in with the fawn call is deer! Maybe I need to hook up the batterys different?
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Fawn in distress call
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:51:37 PM »
I don't know if whitetails are as attracted a mule deer but since I have started predator hunting again we have called in many deer. So regularly I tried it this year during bow season I got a couple of responses but no shot.

ONe thing was almost exclusivly mule deer that responded and mostly does, though the odd small buck would get curious. It is always worth a try especially if you have some doe tags to fill.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline †·ĦÙŃŦÈŔ·†

Re: Fawn in distress call
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 09:38:18 AM »
If ya want to have a real blast get your camera or vedio recorder out and get in the woods right after the Does drop their babies - pratice scent control and you will be surprised at what might come to your call ....

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
Had a hunting buddy that wanted to try distress call many years ago so I went along,only time it seemed to work good was early spring and early summer.In the fall they seemed to ingore it or even move away.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 04:13:09 AM »
Tie up a cantankerous "bleating" goat, you will be suprised at how interested the deer get. They sound the same anyway.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 05:20:03 AM »
I feel they are like any deer call, things have to be just right for them to work. I have used most deer calls I cna find with mixed results most ot the time thye just pay it no attention.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 05:52:03 AM »
I have threatened to tie up an "old goat" that hunts with me, but I can't get him and the gun parted long enough to get the jump on hin............I wonder what his screaming might attract?

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
I've used bleat calls fairly often with good success. On a few occaisions my buddy has called back deer after shooting one out of a group and shot another one or two.

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 04:16:05 AM »
rockbilly, ya' ever notice that a wolverine is attracted to scream'n critters? Maybe that'l work on your "old" goat. Kinda hard on the deer in the area, but what better fun than to watch an "old goat" fight off a wolverine!