Author Topic: Stupid TV mistakes.  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
Stupid TV mistakes.
« on: June 28, 2006, 08:14:48 PM »
:cb2: The other night my wife and I were watching CSI: Miami. A man is killed by a car bomb and they find his melted Sig. They proceed to identify him as an Air Marshal because he had frangible bullets. (The ones they showed were MagSafes I think.) The explaination given was that a frangible bullet wouldn't bring down the airplane (puncture & depressurize the cabin) if they missed. But what really got me was when they said such a bullet "had no commercial value!"

I'm sure that MagSafe, Glaser, BeeSafe, Quick-Shok (and I know I am leaving out at least one I can't think of at the moment) would be surprised to know that their products "have no commercial value."

Then again, this is the same series where cute little blondie, their weapons expert, holds up a .22 Beretta Cheetah, and calls it a Bobcat.

Then there is just the standard practice of showing sparks everywhere a bullet hits. However, neither copper, nor lead sparks. (Do you suppose Hollywood uses steel bullets?) And I guess that's the reason cars and trucks blow up when shot at, because the amazing sparking bullets ignite the gas tanks.

Of course, there is hardly ever any muzzle flip, revolvers getting 16 shots or more, etc.

OK, there are a few of my TV/Hollywood gripes. What are your's?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:03:36 PM »
Hiya Old Griz :D ,
Yeah, that's Hollywood.
On the SciFi channel a few nights ago, something about a T-REX or whatever. This guy had 2 semi-auto handguns, blasting away, no recoil.
The real funny part,is he didn''t run out of ammo, no clip/magazine change. He just kept firing,firing, and firing.Must have shot 50 rounds.From each handgun !
I didn't know those Gollywood handguns held so much ammo !
It was really laughable.And he turned his head to talk to some chick at the same time, still blasting away ! No recoil.Hitting his target ?
Those guns are amazing ! Wonder what would have happened if he was shooting an 1873 45 Colt ?
Should get at least 20 rounds from a 6 shooter :-D
HOLLYWOOD ! Real bright people making movies.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 01:31:09 AM »
Hey, gollywood started this a long time ago.  If you remember Andy Devine, one of the early gollywood cowboys - forget exactly who the major star of his show was, used to regularly throw 8-10 rounds out of each of his single action 45 Colts.  

They have a history of doing that in where-ever it is............ Mikey.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 01:59:34 AM »
I think it is in the movie 'Tombstone' where one of the characters fires 3 shots from his double barreled shotgun without reloading.  :shock:  Seems Dirty Harry was the last guy to give any consideration to how many rounds he had spent.   "Feeling lucky...punk?"

And what's with the one handed and sideways pistol hold that seems to be so prevalent in TV and film these days?  :roll:

I think that the movie makers believe that their audiences are too dumb to be able to count, or believe a handgun is deadly accurate even (or especially) without the use of its sites.  Come to think of it, they do have them lined up to pay $8 or $9 at the box office to sit and watch this trash.  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:10:27 AM »
The one that really gets my "goat" is the "Hollywood Swan Dive" where the person getting shot is flying all over the place. It never ceases to amaze me the number of hunters/shooters who believe that really happens. Makes think that they have never shot anything other that bottles and cans. This also gets me as much. Why is it that in futuristic Si/fi movies the shooter missed with a laser or beam projector? None of the things we have to adjust for with projectile weapons YET THEY STILL MISS. :lol:
Love those .41s'

Offline rockbilly

Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 07:31:07 AM »
:D Who are we to question the contents of a movie?  After all we know they have technical advisors to make sure thing are portrayed correctly. :roll:  :-D  :)  :wink:

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 11:00:32 AM »
It is part of Hollywood's anti gun agenda. They consider thier duty to misinform the public about firearms and make them appear more dangerous than they really are. They are wholy responsible for the misconceptions a majority of people have about guns. It would be interesting to have the NRA make up a poll to test the general public's knowledge about firearms and where theygained that knowledge. I think we all know the results.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Glanceblamm

Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 05:03:37 PM »
I would trade the 50 shooter for Texas Ranger Walker's truck.
Bullets ricochett off of it. Doesnt even scratch the paint.

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 09:30:19 PM »
Quote from: rockbilly
:D Who are we to question the contents of a movie?  After all we know they have technical advisors to make sure thing are portrayed correctly. :roll:  :-D  :)  :wink:

Those "technical advisors" needs to get a real life.
There's enough technical advisors on this board !
Just wait for the "big one" to hit. They'll "think" technical advisors !
That SciFi "10" that was on a few months back,focused mainly on L.A.
Was a just a little bit interesting movie.Hate to disappoint them,but the San Andreas Fault goes through San Francisco. Would have made for a mini-series.
Yeah,noticed about the laser sight.Operator error !: I didn't know this thing was loaded !

Offline 45454

• Contributor
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 09:39:01 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
Hey, gollywood started this a long time ago.  If you remember Andy Devine, one of the early gollywood cowboys - forget exactly who the major star of his show was, used to regularly throw 8-10 rounds out of each of his single action 45 Colts.  

Hi Mikey :D
Oh, I keep forgetting how P.C. guns have to be:10 rounds for the 45 Colt.
Thant's still an amazing 6 shooter !
Wonder why my Uberti 1873 45 Colt can only shoot 6 ? There a secret to getting 4 more into the chamber ?
Hollywood,is Hollywierd for sure. :evil:

Offline Old Griz

Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 06:05:32 AM »
:cb2: Do you think they moved the fault line so that they wouldn't frighten the gay population of San Fran? Wouldn't that be politically incorrect?!?

In the pitiful movie "Last Man Standing" Bruce Willis is blazing away at a man with a 1911 in both hands. The impact picks the guy up and carries him through the air a good 20 feet, and deposits him in the street. No recoil, of course on his end, but man they must've been using some really hot .45 ACP loads in that movie!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 04:34:44 PM »
The reason for the sideways hold of a pistol is because that's how it was when they picked it up out of the box!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline corbanzo

Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 08:36:36 PM »
That is why we are supposed to practice "temporary suspension of disbelief" to actually try and enjoy movies.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure I have more gun knowledge than the whole of hollywood combined... they try at times.  

Like when Dirty Harry shoots a guy on a rooftop with a .458 lott in the leg, and the guy hobbles off, yeah right, jelly.  Or in death wish III, when bronson is shooting the .475 wildey and it barely recoils...  Or every movie ever made where two people using semi-autos run out of bullets at the exact same time while having the guns pointed at eachothers heads point black...  too many to count.  I don't think you will find many working actors frequenting the local gun shop.  Maybe if Nugent got more into acting.   :)  :)
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Old Griz

Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 09:10:01 PM »
Quote from: Tom W.
The reason for the sideways hold of a pistol is because that's how it was when they picked it up out of the box!

:cb2: I know a gun shop owner who had a old, used Jennings that he said he was going to have it engraved "Smith & Weston" (many of our local Democratic brothers can't say "Wesson"), and have the gunsmith mount front and rear sights along the right side of the gun. I don't know if he ever did this, but I would have loved to have seen it. No doubt he could have sold it quite easily in our fair city.
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Johnny_Revolver

Re: Stupid TV mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 10:50:48 PM »
When Dirty harry has his .44 trained on the guy on the ground, asking him `do you feel lucky?` its quite obviously empty. When the guy says `I gots to know`  Harry thumbs the hammer back, then guy effects a look of horror, then in the next scene Harry DOUBLE ACTIONS his .44..  Also, Scorpio fits a SILENCER to his .30-`06 ....   Or snaps the scope on and its dead on...  Don`t get me wrong, I love the Harry films.. I find the most `realistic` piece in the series was, of all people, Tyne Daly, when she rescues the mayor, she flips open her ( snub python ??) expertly expells the spent cases and places them in her pocket ( musta been a hand loader, eh.. ) and rather professionally deposits 6 fresh rounds in via a speed loader, with out looking..

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 06:57:23 AM »
When Dirty harry has his .44 trained on the guy on the ground, asking him `do you feel lucky?` its quite obviously empty.

He was real lucky . . . Why would it be empty? Clint only fired 5 times. He should've blown his head off instead of just going click!
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 10:27:19 AM »

I believe you are referring to "Wild Bill Hickock" starring Guy Madison as Wild Bill.  Andy Devine was his sidekick, Jingles P. Jones, from  "East Sedalia, Missouri".  That show was terribly historically inaccurate.  I don't think Wild Bill ever carried .45 Colts.  For most of his life he carried a brace (two) Navy Colts stuck in a sash he wore around his waist.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline Johnny_Revolver

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »
When Dirty harry has his .44 trained on the guy on the ground, asking him `do you feel lucky?` its quite obviously empty.

He was real lucky . . . Why would it be empty? Clint only fired 5 times. He should've blown his head off instead of just going click!

No, I mean in all the close ups of that Model 29, it has no rounds in the cylinder. I remember noticing it as a kid the first few times I saw the dirty Harry  films.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 07:57:13 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't questioning the fact that it was empty. Just another stupid Hollywood mistake that it was empty! It's just funny how the screen writers also forgot "did he fire six shots or only five."
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Johnny_Revolver

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 01:32:49 PM »
You know, it`s the little `human touches` that he added that made Steve McQueens acting so utterly brilliant ( he was a gun nut too.. not just planes, cars and bikes )  In The Great Escape : he`s on that bike ( pity it`s a British bike but we`ll forgive him for that ) and he needs to know how much juice he has in the tank, he removes the cap, looks in and gives the bike a light shake from side to side, as you do...  Or in Bullitt,  the one part I point out to people ( aside from how many hubcaps the Charger loses, I think its 6 ) is when Bullitt arrives home, he gets out of the Mustang, shuts the door, then he locks it... It`s so utterly mundane, yet its sooooo cool..  I`ll never understand how no one else has never picked up on this sort of thing, is the general public so completely stupid , or percieved to be, that they won`t notice a revolver with no rounds in the cylinder, or a four stroke motorcycle sounding like an outboard, or, I could go on... It`s pretty much why the only films I see now are kids movies with my young sons.

Offline slabsides

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 03:27:53 AM »
We should be grateful that the movie and TV producers and so-called 'technical experts' are so often off-base with respect to firearms usage. Two reasons: First, it gives us 'real experts' something to talk and be smug about, and......
it serves as a source of WRONG information about technique to crooks, hoods and baddies who have no other source of instruction. If some goblin wants to point his 'nine' at me, I WANT him to have neglected to cock the thing, or throw off the safety. And as for that 'gangsta' grip...all I can say is, I hope they keep on showing it forever. We don't want the bad guys to be smart about guns, do we? :)

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 06:20:22 AM »
 ;Dsideslab.  You hit the nail on the head when you said the "experts are so often off-base."  That was the point I was trying to make in my post, but I think some folks didn't see it that way, or they don't understand the humor in the statement.

Have you ever broke the word "expert" down?

Ex is a has been,  a spirt is a drip under pressure.

Hollywood hires "experts" in many areas, but it shurely doesn't mean they are an authority on the subject, just watch any movie and you will agree. ::)

Offline Racer X

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 03:27:12 PM »
One of the hunting shows (can't recall which one) was hunting bison with 45/70 Federal factory loads using the 300 grain Speer HP. It was inhumane and took 3 shots to kill it. I remember Federal was a co-sponsor of the show.
Estranged eldest son of Mom and Pops Racer and older brother of legendary Mach V race car driver Speed Racer

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »
Do you guys remember the A-Team...Those guys expended thousands of shots without ever hitting a soul...I do not recall them ever reloading as well...Must be magic.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 07:07:08 PM »
Yeah, and they were supposed to be "Special Forces." No wonder we lost Vietnam. We never killed anybody!
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 02:33:45 AM »
I really love the exploding car thing. Especially when the shot is to the engine. If you were extremely lucky a shot to the fuel line might cause fuel to drip on the manifold and start on fire but an explosion????????   

Bullets hitting around a guys feet as he is running!!!  I say to the shooter AIM HIGHER.

3 or 4 guys at the same time emptying their automatic weapons at the good guy without a hit while the GG drops them all with one shot each.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Casull

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 04:59:51 AM »
Can't remember which movie it was (one of the spaghetti westerns), but Clint is getting ready for a showdown and decides to intimidate the other guy.  He spots an apple tree somewhere around 150 to 200 yards away (looked that way to me anyhow), and proceeds to bust the apples out of it with his single action, shooting from the hip no less.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 08:40:54 AM »
Forget about them (gang members) not taking the safety off, they never us it in the first place. 

I used to live in Washington DC.  I worked in a big complex where the contract janitorial staff were locals, young men and women from local area.  Everyone else lived in Maryland or Virginia.  Everyone that knew me knew that I was into guns and hunting.  One day during break one of the young men working for the contractor came into the shop and asked to talk to me.  He then pulled out a pretty well drawen diagram of a Ruger 9MM semi-auto pistol.  He told me it won't shoot, could I tell him what the buttons and parts were?  Right off I noticed that the safety was in the safe position, and his commentary was that when he pulled the trigger nothing happened.  He had just bought it off another fellow for 15 bucks because it would not work.  I really did not want to give him any information, so I started telling him I only shot rifles.  But then a co-worker Floyd looking over his shoulder said "You got the safety on, Fool!"  So he asked what the safety was, Floyd showed him on drawing  the safety lever and explained how it worked.  I excused myself and left.  I later chastised Floyd, I told him I was going to offer him 25 bucks and try and get it back to it's righful owner, since it was obviously stolen.  Floyds attitude, "Who cares?"  Living inside the beltway was real interesting and scearry.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 12:16:33 PM »
I was watching an older movie with Sidney Portier and Tom Barringer. And the killer had him on the ground with a semi automatic pistol pointed at his head. He pulled the trigger and guess what? Out of bullets! I think he should have the gun checked because for some reason the slide didn't lock back.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?