Author Topic: Trigger stop  (Read 558 times)

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Trigger stop
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:08:05 AM »
I'm planning to improve the trigger pull on my NEF and since I'll have the trigger guard off was thinking of installing a trigger stop as well.  

Has anyone installed a trigger stop on a plastic trigger guard?  Looking for any suggestions that might help.

Thanks,
Roudy

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Trigger stop
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:54:28 AM »
Hi Roudy,  :D

Yes, I've done trigger stops on the plastic trigger guards. It was quite simple...
I selected a stainless allen drive set screw of appropriate dimension (I use 8-32's or 6-32's)
I then drilled the back of the guard the approximate diameter of the screw minus the threads,
Drove the screw into the drilled hole "tapping" the plastic with the stainless screw... heating the screw a little helps create nice form fitted threads in the plastic.
 Last, trim the screw to desired length if neccessary (enough on the working end to serve as a stop leaving the driving end flush or just under with the rear of the trigger guard so it doesn't gouge you in the middle finger when the rifle is fired)  
Clean off any plastic 'slag'.

:x HERE'S THE RUB!
Pulling back the hammer to full cock induces a rearward movement of the trigger past center, that is sear engagement. If you adjust your stop screw to just allow letoff, you can't re-cock the action because the take up is preventing that rearward overtravel required to achieve sear engagement!

Adjusting  to prevent this results in a lessened but not ideally crisp amount of trigger overtravel.
I'm not sure how this could be tuned out without causing an 'unsafe' condition of less than rigid sear lockup with the hammer back.

Steve
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Trigger stop
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 05:07:35 AM »
Steve, this subject has been discussed before and the conclusion everyone came to was that with the transfer bar the rifle wouldn't fire because there wouldn't be enough trigger travel to keep the transfer bar in position for a pin strike. Did you actually get a pin strike and fire a cartridge or did you get that far in your pursuit to reduce overtravel?

Thx

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Trigger stop
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 05:19:30 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for the information.  I think I'll try it when I have the action apart.  

Roudy

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Trigger stop
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 02:32:45 PM »
Tim,
Truthfully, no I've not gotten that far, at least not with the transfer-bar action. If I ever get done with all the 'other stuff' on my plate (HA!)I may be able to finish (HA-HA!) working on the rifle in question, which has received intermittent attention to improvement of various features all the while sitting in the vise on my bench for several months!

I have a pre-transfer-bar one I did some years back however which worked out nicely. Even on the older style action there is a degree of 'overtravel' upon cocking the hammer, but it appears less pronounced than that of the newer, t-bar type.

Steve
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!