Author Topic: an ignorant member question  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: an ignorant member question
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 01:30:50 PM »
Great story Redhawk. Almost afraid to ask, but . . . what's your point? We should start carrying knives instead of guns?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2006, 03:20:39 PM »
Great story Redhawk. Almost afraid to ask, but . . . what's your point? We should start carrying knives instead of guns?

I guess I have to spell everything out to you don't I.  If you spent as much time trying to help people rather than criticize you might learn something in the process. ::)

The point is, no one really knows how they will handle a situation until one is put into that situation. Some people my turn and run, and some may stand there ground. But there is not way to practice for such an attack. My point was not to carry a knife instead of a gun, that was just your wise guy impression getting the better of you.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2006, 11:33:01 AM »
Sorry Redhawk, I was just funnin' with you. I humbly apologise for being a smartass at times.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2006, 12:12:52 PM »
Many if not most bear attacks come very quickly the same i've heard about cougars. Faster than one may be able to pull his rifle out and into action. So fast that even if you have the rifle in your hands it may be knocked out. While a revolver may not be as effective as the rifle it is  handier to carry and may be more accessible if you are knocked down or can only use one hand. I would be inclined to carry a revolver and bear spray. If an encounter allows for enough time that you would have been able to use a rifle the spray can probably be used effectively backed up by the revolver. If you are suprised and get knocked down you may have the availability of either the spray or the revolver where the rifle may be laying on the ground useless. And never forget the quiver full of arrows at your disposal.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2006, 06:23:16 PM »
Oi...Did I get a slap on the back and no one told me?  ::)
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 12:16:16 AM »
Well now, been reading this and thinking---I got a headache  ::).
I kind of relate this whole business to real life.
Most of us, thankfully, go our whole lives without an actual confrontation with anyone which requires a weapon to defend ourownselves----buttttt--many of us do have the means if necessary.
I would think that, in the wildeness, or the street, one should have the means.
In the wilderness I would opt for something like one of the larger hand cannons, not that it would work in every situation or that I would be successful in my attempts of self-protection, but that, at least, I came prepared to help myownself out if I could.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Questor

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 04:50:24 AM »
Williamlayton:

You're obviously having a day of exceptional eloquence today. That makes a lot of sense.

I remember being offended by the restriction on not carrying guns in Glacier National Park for defense against bears. I didn't like being told I couldn't prepare to defend myself using the very reasonable means of carrying a personal firearm.
Safety first