Author Topic: My New Toy, Yipee!  (Read 1981 times)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
My New Toy, Yipee!
« on: July 03, 2006, 05:23:55 AM »
I'm finally home with my new toy.  A quick 650 mile round trip run to Southern CA. We were lucky enough to dodge all of the July 4th. holiday traffic bullets.  :eek:

Anyway, all-in-all it was worth the trip. Below are a few photos of her. Her name is Shenandoah. Her tube is 37.5 " OAL. with a 2.25" bore and weighs 120lbs.

She does need a little bit of work but is in Great shape for  her age.

Well, now I guess I'm in too deep! :D
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
My New Toy, Yipee!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 05:32:13 AM »
Now I see what you are so excited about!  Wow that is  a neat gun.  Tell us more!!

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
My New Toy, Yipee!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 06:18:41 AM »
SHENANDOAH as in the CSS Shenandoah? Circa 1864?

Really nice FIND!

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
My New Toy, Yipee!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 01:12:01 PM »
Cpt Ed,

Yep, that's why she is named Shenadoah.  :grin: Thanks for posting that info.

Also, as a side note the carriage on mine weighs in at 80lbs. It's a bit more than I expected. There are also traces of red paint that I found hidden on the underneath of the carriage. So, it looks like it started it's life as a red carriage.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: My New Toy, Yipee!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 01:08:59 AM »
Please show us a picture of what the original 19th century “Red” carriage color looks like?
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 08:28:40 AM »
Cpt, Ed

Below are three photos of the underneath. There are actually two different shades of red. I believe you will be able to see them in the photos. As, to which was the original color I'm not sure until I do a bit of light scraping on the area. However, I do believe it will be the lighter of the two reds.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:45 AM »
So did the Naval Museum have a yard sale? That is an interesting carriage that it had origonally. Nice Gun!!!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 09:44:37 AM »
If you take a piece of that wood with paint on it to a paint shop or to Home Depot they can run it throughthere computer and get a formula to matchthe color.

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 03:46:47 PM »
Very nice find. Would sure like to know more about it.
As far as the true color of the paint, I would imagine it is lost forever. Paint always fads with age.
Michael

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »
DD & Michael Az,

At this time I have not confirmed information on this signal cannon. I do believe that it is from the mid to late 1800's and of European origin. There are no markings on this tube or carriage. I have been in contact with the Naval Museum regarding their CSS Shenandoah signal cannons. From what they have told me, theirs also have no markings and they do not have alot of documention on them. The barrels on the Shenandoah guns at the Naval Museum are 27" OAL and have a 1 5/8" bore. Which are smaller than mine. At, this time I am a bit limited on information I can get from them, as they will do up to 15 minutes of research for free after that it is on the clock for $30-45 per hour. Hopefully, I will locate more info in the future. :)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 03:07:20 PM »
intoodeep, any chance of a few more pictures... closeups of some of the hardware and a rear view as well?

Rick

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 03:25:20 PM »
Rickk,

No problem. I'll post them tomorrow.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »
You might want to post some pictures over on the Cannon board at  http://www.mlagb.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=cannon 

The fellows there are Brit's and have a better idea about hardware from that area.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:05:32 AM »
Rickk,

Here are a few more photos.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
Thanks...

I am guessing that the wooden dowel holding up the breech of the barrel is not "original". If my guess is correct, any guess how was the elevation supposed to be adjusted?

I'm planning on a building a naval cannon about the same size this winter, so that is why I am so interested.

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 11:07:28 AM »
Love the bronze capstocks -slobber drool- That is a sweet gun.

I notice you have holes through the back axle, is it missing some bottom boards?

best regards

Squire Robin

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 11:59:08 AM »
Yes, I believe there was a wood platform and a elevating quoin. That will be one of my future projects. However, living in the desert of Las Vegas it's difficult to find quality wood let alone anything old (everythings faux):D.  So, I'll be ordering material via the internet.

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 10:10:27 PM »
You couldn't do something creative with a cactus then? <VVBG>

Offline CSS Shenandoah

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »
Her name is Shenandoah. Her tube is 37.5 " OAL. with a 2.25" bore and weighs 120lbs.

She does need a little bit of work but is in Great shape for  her age.

Well, now I guess I'm in too deep! :D

Hate to dig up this old thread but this is the reason I signed up. You said "her name is Shenandoah" after CSS Shenandoah. How did this particular gun get the name Shenandoah? Is this gun from CSS Shenandoah or possibly USS Shenandoah (which I know next to nothing about) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Shenandoah_%281862%29

Is this really off the CSS Shenandoah

I am a little skeptical this is off the CSS Shenandoah. Why do you believe this is CSS Shenandoah rather than USS Shenandoah? Is it the English style of gun combined with the Shenandoah name?

The accounts of the armament on the Shenandoah is not entirely consistent even after the surrender.

The Shenandoah had the 2 signal guns.

One of the signal guns is as mentioned at USN Academy Preble Hall Museum

The other signal gun is on loan from the Academy to another Museum in Maryland.

There were either 4 32 pounders and 2 64 pounders or vice versa.

Those are the guns reported most commonly.

I spoke with the Curator of USNA Prebble Hall who mentioned during the 1970's reproductions of the Shenandoah signal guns were made.

If this is an authentic CSS Shenandoah gun that would be very interesting. It would make me wonder which gun it was, or if this is one of the guns originally reported thought to be confused for one of the signal guns.

Offline CSS Shenandoah

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 08:09:36 PM »

Please tell me where you found that card. Appreciate it in advance.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »

CSS Shenandoah,

I'm not sure where the write-up that Cpt Ed posted came from. But, I do know that the same write-up is in the South Bend Replica's catalog. Paul had made a replica of the signal cannons from the CSS Shenandoah at one time.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 04:35:41 AM »

Hate to dig up this old thread but this is the reason I signed up. You said "her name is Shenandoah" after CSS Shenandoah. How did this particular gun get the name Shenandoah? Is this gun from CSS Shenandoah or possibly USS Shenandoah (which I know next to nothing about) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Shenandoah_%281862%29

I am a little skeptical this is off the CSS Shenandoah. Why do you believe this is CSS Shenandoah rather than USS Shenandoah? Is it the English style of gun combined with the Shenandoah name?

The accounts of the armament on the Shenandoah is not entirely consistent even after the surrender.

I spoke with the Curator of USNA Prebble Hall who mentioned during the 1970's reproductions of the Shenandoah signal guns were made.

If this is an authentic CSS Shenandoah gun that would be very interesting. It would make me wonder which gun it was, or if this is one of the guns originally reported thought to be confused for one of the signal guns.

CSS Shenandoah,

The name "Shenandoah" only derived from the fact that the tube is of the same pattern as the signal guns from the CSS Shenandoah. I do not believe that this gun had any connection to the CSS Shenandoah but, I do believe that it may have come from the same foundry. It's hard to tell for sure as this gun and the two from the CSS Shenandoah have no marking on them to track back.

I did contact the Naval Museum a few years back and they did not have a lot to offer as they have very little documentation on their signal cannons.  They only thing that I was able to confirm was that the gun I own is slightly larger then the ones from the CSS Shenandoah. As, this was something I could not tell from the photos of the CSS Shenandoah guns.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
intoodeep,

Did you ever fire this magnificent toy, and have you refurbished the carriage?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline CSS Shenandoah

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »

CSS Shenandoah,

I'm not sure where the write-up that Cpt Ed posted came from. But, I do know that the same write-up is in the South Bend Replica's catalog. Paul had made a replica of the signal cannons from the CSS Shenandoah at one time.

Thank you. This is the only source I know of that describes the signal guns with the "Lion Carriages".

Offline CSS Shenandoah

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:01 PM »

CSS Shenandoah,

The name "Shenandoah" only derived from the fact that the tube is of the same pattern as the signal guns from the CSS Shenandoah. I do not believe that this gun had any connection to the CSS Shenandoah but, I do believe that it may have come from the same foundry. It's hard to tell for sure as this gun and the two from the CSS Shenandoah have no marking on them to track back.

I did contact the Naval Museum a few years back and they did not have a lot to offer as they have very little documentation on their signal cannons.  They only thing that I was able to confirm was that the gun I own is slightly larger then the ones from the CSS Shenandoah. As, this was something I could not tell from the photos of the CSS Shenandoah guns.

Do you happen to know what foundry(s) Alexander Stephen and Sons Ship yard used as vendors?