Author Topic: Florida  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Ruskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Florida
« on: July 03, 2006, 07:33:11 AM »
Anyone in Hillsborough county Florida, south end of county?

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Re: Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »
I am about 2 hours south of you in Naples. Where do you hunt? I rarely do, due to the fact that public lands have very short seasons (1 week in most WMA's down here). I've been to the Brady Ranch once and had a great time, even though it was by myself. Don't know any hunters down here.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline fishinguy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:58:09 PM »
Im in brevard county.  I usually hunt in oceola county in the wma's.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:54:09 PM »
sounds like florida might be more of a fishing area to me.My family wants to move to florida in a couple years when I retire.north of pinellas county.I enjoy hunting.and shooting and the area were we want to go has a very nice range.memebership type range.which is okay with me.but it is still not hunting.I understand that northern Fl. has a lot of good hunting.but it is all private and mostly hogs..I may have to talk the family out of this..
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:56:32 AM »
The bad thing about FL hunting, for someone like me anyway, is the very short seasons on public WMA's. The ones within 2 hours of me mostly have a 1 or 2 week deer season and hogs can only be taken during deer season. There are some areas that have longer seasons but are more North. For me, who doesn't know anyone who hunts, it's tough to schedule a hunt within 1 week in the year. I would consider traveling more (and hunt more) if I had hunting buddies to go on trips with. You might be in this same scenario at first when you move here. Although, the area you are talking about probably has a lot of people who like to hunt. I live in a small beach community, which is great for fishing, but not hunting. There are a lot of game ranches and guided hunts here but that can add up dollar wise.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 04:22:32 AM »
When I lived in Ft. Myers, I hunted where the new airport is now located, so you know how long ago that was!!  What I found interesting was, in those days, you could take 4 deer a year, but the total weight might be 200 pounds.  I killed a buck last fall, in the rut, that field dressed 265 pounds and two does that each weighed about 120 pounds.  So my return on effort is much better now that it used to be.  LOL

I could just never get in to small bucks and sweat running down the middle of my back during deer season.  And after stepping on a small rattle snake on a quail hunt down toward Estero, I decided hunting 'up north' might be better for me!  :D :D

Best of luck to y'all, Arch

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 05:49:55 AM »
I'm sure the airport was a decent spot. I see hogs running accross the road almost every time I pick someone up or drop someone off at the airport, depending on the time of day. Weather is pretty warm in Octber, November and December. Where do you live now?

I have relatives in Massachusetts and Maine and visit every Christmas. I am hoping I can do a little hunting one of these years up there. Maybe I'll plan a thanksgiving trip instead of CHRISTmas one year and go on a hunt.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 08:49:45 AM »
I used to hunt in the Croom north of Tampa.  It has been given good write ups.  I would do the week of Thanksgiving just after the nine days.  The most deer are taken in Black powder.  I never took any deer.  There are three state areas the Croom is one the other one is Inverness, and Green Swamp some good deer have been taken out of green swamp.

I am a partner in property in Dixie county.  went up wedneday before Thanksgiving the week of doe days.  Got a small hog thursday and a doe on friday.  That was all I did last year.  I am hoping that I will get one more season before the partners decide to sell.

Went out south of Ruskin in May 06, my son and I shoot 4 hogs, lost one.  There are a lot of hogs running throughout center of state. 

I was talking to a neighbor, he said some of the ranches in Manatee allow hunting for a membership fee.  I am thinking of checking in on that.  Maybe a group of us could lease some property east of Manatee coutny or somewhere without a lot of driving.

I hunted in North Florida out of Lake City off 441 south of Ga line.  I didn't see anything but does, never shoot at one.  Lots of bears to mess with feeders.  They have lousy table manners, mess up the area.  We were in pine trees no oaks, lousy diet for dear.  Not to my liking for hunting.

There is a county hunting area in Manatee, duette, that is run by county.  I heard it is good. 

Florida hunting is hard and with the yankees coming south land is getting scarce. 

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 10:23:24 AM »
I was just out at Babcock/Webb WMA in Charlotte County off of I-75. I saw A LOT of deer. I traveled most of the improved and paved roads and stoped every few minutes or so and just waited and watched for about 10 minutes before moving on. About every thrid or forth time I stopped, deer would just walk out of the woods, cross the road and go back in the woods on the other side. This was about 2 hours before sunset right up to last light. Obviously the deer aren't spooked yet as I followed 3 deer that came out of the woods and started up the gravel road. I followed them slowly for about 100 yards or so. They would just stop and look back at my truck, pause, then keep walking up the road. They finally went into the woods up another trail. First time I had ever seen anything like that since living here in FL. Though, it's also the first time I spent any time on enough land to see deer. 
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline covertcowboy

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »
i'm in north pinellas but my mom won't let me get a rifle  ???
me?
give you my wallet?
...ain't gonna happen bub

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:21 AM »
Tell her to take you to the Wyoming Antelope Club range in  Pinellas County.  Maybe she will realize that gunowers are decent people, and are willingly to teach one about firearm safety.

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 02:52:41 AM »
Hello people I am in Clearwater and willing to go just about anywhere in the state I lost a lease a few years ago in Cross City Dixie County and have had no luck getting into anymore within a good distance and PRICE.
I can hunt anytime if you need a partner send me an Email
Thanks
Tom

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 05:36:07 AM »
I have some land in Cross City that I own with some partners.  We are sourrounded by the Dixie County Hunt Club.  I don't know how long we will have land.  Last year I hunted two days during the doe days.  I got a hog and a doe.  This year we have about 17 feeders and 100 acres of planted pasture grass.  I hope I get one more season.  I need to go up and look over things.

We are getting power pulled into the camp which is a trailer and other buildings.  It will be better than having to run a diesel generator.

What was your experience in Dicxie county?  I got the impression that the old timers are not excited about outsiders.  Around us there are signs about trespassing and keep out and off the road going by our property.  We had to sue to have the county recognize the road as county maintained, and the hunt club could not shut us out of our property.

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 11:21:02 AM »
Ruskin, that's too bad that it seems like you and your partners are having a little trouble with your land. I have been looking for land to buy for a few years now. It would be tough to replace what you have. Good luck.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 03:50:12 PM »
Well, I only live one county east of you in Polk county. I am on a lease only 5 miles from my house but I stay up on WMA regs pretty good. The Green Swamp, Richloam, Arbuckle, Avon Park AF Range (Federal), Hilochee and Hillsboro River WMA's are all about 1 hr or less from Tampa. The seasons start for archery around the end of September and run into the first week of January for general gun. I hardly consider those "short" seasons. I personally took a 16 point, 190 lb buck out of Richloam about 25 yrs ago. The 3rd largest buck ever taken in Florida came out of The Green Swamp 3 yrs ago. I still hunt Green Swamp 2 or 3 times a season even though I am on a private lease. The Ocala Forest is only 2 hrs from Tampa and there are a dozen other WMA's within a couple of hours of Hillsboro. The FWC website is a ideal place for info on WMA's and seasons. I have never had any difficulty finding public land close by to hunt for several months out of the year.
http://myfwc.com/
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »

What was your experience in Dicxie county?  I got the impression that the old timers are not excited about outsiders.  Around us there are signs about trespassing and keep out and off the road going by our property.  We had to sue to have the county recognize the road as county maintained, and the hunt club could not shut us out of our property.

Dixie County has their own laws and regs Hate to say it but they pretty much due as they feel fit. A few years back the St Pete times wrote a story on it and they said No progress is what they believe in and will do there best to keep it that way they ran Wal-Mart Off that's why its in Chiefland
now if you ever need a hunt partner get in touch with me I hunted that club around you for about 8 to 12  years I think ?? Email me and I'll tell you more

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 07:41:08 AM »
I'm organizing a hunt swap for 2007 with Hunters that have access to private land looking for a partner or simply to swap. The swap would minimize costs send me a PM to let me know if you're interested!
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 12:49:05 PM »
Not sure which wma's have short seasons, but if you're willing to drive a little way south there are plenty of opportunities. Corbett, Hungryland, Dupuis and Allapatta wma's all have longer seasons, if you are willing to hunt archery and muzzleloader seasons as well. All but Corbett require quota permits, but applying for permits with the new online system is easy. Corbett's archery starts the last week of August. Then comes ml's, then general gun until January 1st. All of that time is open except for the first nine days of general gun, which requires a quota. Hungryland and Allapatta also allow hog hunting during their small game season, no quota permit needed. Dupuis has a no cost public dove field that you need a quota for, but they are available. Look around your area, read the brochures, and you might be surprised.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 10:03:13 AM »
I shot a turkey and two deer on the land in Cross City.  It is being sold soon.  I will be looking for another place for 2007.  I was told to try the Avon Park Bombing Range.  I looked at it and will drive over since it is about one hour form me.

I understand you cannot use an ATV but have to walk.  It will change tactics I have to use.  Also, I will have to use a handgun rather than my 6.5 rifle.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »
I Was drawn for Avon Park.  I believe I will complete the process and pay the fee.  I wish they would allow ATVs.

Anyone going to AP this year?  Anyone familiar with AP?