Author Topic: Password Issues  (Read 27568 times)

Online Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
Password Issues
« on: July 08, 2006, 10:54:54 PM »
One of the great things about this new software is that it lets me see the errors that our members are getting. This allows me to find problems much more quickly and get them fixed.

I am seeing that many of our members are having problems with their passwords, PLEASE REMEMBER Passwords ARE CASE SENSITIVE. If your password is say “MyPassword4GBO” and you enter “mypassword4gbo” or any other variation the systems will kick it back as invalid. So if you use alpha numeric passwords with upper and lower case letters be sure to enter it exactly as you set it.

What’s a good password?
Well strong password is really a better name for them, these are alpha numeric passwords that are at least 8 characters long and use upper and lower case letters. An example of one would be “t3J9wEs4” be creative and also make it one that you can remember or at least write it down in a safe place but one that you can find it if you forget.

Hope this helps some of you

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Mr. BestLever

Re: Password Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »
Hello-I am having difficulty signing up for a Username and Password. I do not get a confirmation e-mail to follow up on. I have tried to register as BestLever, imr303145lc as my username and password. Any help you can offer me on this issue is greatly appreciated. Life is good, BestLever

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 11:43:28 AM »
To be brutally honest you "might" be on our banned list. I'm really not going searching thru it to be sure.

This is not the first time you've been here and the last time you were kicked off after being such a trouble maker. I'm quite certain it's the same person here, that name BEST LEVER gives you away. You are however successfully registered under yet another name as your e-mail address gives that away.

If you used a valid e-mail address to register you'd get the e-mail to complete your registration but I see you chose to use various similar things all of which barel part of your real name.

If you want help getting in again you're going to need to e-mail me at gbomgmt@graybeardoutdoors.com and let's discuss it. I'm gonna tell ya right up front you'll not be allowed to misbehave this time as long as you did before.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:30:09 AM »
I'm having a small difficulty when logging on. After entering my screen name, clicking on password (which then fills in automatically) a window pops up saying that the two don't match... after a short pause I get logged on correctly anyway.

Just thought I'd mention this apparent SNAFU...

Steve
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »
I'm having a small difficulty when logging on. After entering my screen name, clicking on password (which then fills in automatically) a window pops up saying that the two don't match... after a short pause I get logged on correctly anyway.

Just thought I'd mention this apparent SNAFU...

Steve

Just happened again.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 11:49:07 AM »
It's NOT a snafu, it's just your computer doing what you've told it to do. If you don't like it clear your cookies and temporary internet files and then don't tell it to log you in automatically again. It only does what it's told to do. For many of us old farts that can be a major problem.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 04:17:13 PM »
The issue you are talking about has nothing to do with GBO. It is your computer doing what it should as per your settings. IE will store passwords for you for webpages you visit and enter a username and password on. If at any point you return to that page it has that stored for you and you are not required to re-enter it over and over. This is a nice feature for some and a pain for others.

It will also store usernames and passwords based on the form element name on a page. This is the reason you can enter text in a box and later go to a page you have never been to and have it auto fill for you an address or phone number.

This data is stored on your computer not ours. It has nothing to do with GBO. If you will enter the password that you use rather than then one that it offers and when you get the message that they do not match there is an option to update what is stored and make it match.

Bottom line it is not on our end it is on your end. but is not an issue that will cause a problem only one that will annoy you... ::)
― Albert Einstein

Offline R.M.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 05:14:11 AM »
I too am having the same problem, and I do believe it is this board, because none of the other sites I visit and log-on to do this, plus I have cleared Greybeard from my password file, and reset it, and it still says I used the wrong password.
You are right though, it is just a pain, not a real problem.

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »
Well you may believe that it is this board all you like but you are wrong. Though I understand that it seems to only happen on this site and yada yada well look if you want to fix it then I will tell you how. What you will be doing you will be doing on your computer and will have no effect on this site or server and will fix your prooblem there by putting to rest forever and allways the issue of what end the problem is/was on.

Web browsers store passwords that you type in web sites forms using an "auto complete" feature that shows you what you have typed in the past so that you don't have to remember them. You can remove passwords stored in your browser by doing the following:

How to delete stored passwords in Internet Explorer
• Click the Tools menu.
• Click Internet Options.
• Click the Content tab.
• Click the AutoComplete button.
• Click Clear Passwords.
• Click OK on each of the dialog boxes to close them.

How to prevent Internet Explorer from automatically storing passwords
• Click the Tools menu.
• Click Internet Options
• Click the Content tab.
• Click the AutoComplete button.
• Click to remove the checkmarks next to the "User names and passwords on forms."

How to disable storing passwords in Mozilla Firefox • Click the Tools menu.
• Click Internet Options
• Click the Privacy tab.
• Click Saved passwords.
• Click to remove the checkmark next to "Remember password."

Now that you know what the problem is and how to fix it we should not have to worry about it anymore...

Matt
― Albert Einstein

Offline R.M.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 04:09:09 AM »
OK, what if I'm using Netscape.

R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 05:28:18 AM »
You use the Privacy options panel to define how Netscape Browser handles the information that it gathers while you are browsing the web.

Tips:
To open a category within this panel, click the  to the left of the category label.
To quickly clear all the information stored in each section of the Privacy panel, press the Clear All button at the top of the panel.
To have Netscape Browser automatically delete all stored information from your computer each time you close your browser, select the Clear My Tracks on Exit checkbox that appears near the top of the Privacy panel. Refer to Automatically Clearing Your History (Clear My Tracks on Exit) for more information on this feature.
― Albert Einstein

Offline poules'deau

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:29:10 AM »
Hi Matt,

Member Troubleshootr is having some kind of difficulty logging in and asked me to ask you to send him an email so he can discuss what is happening.  He is not able to access the website and did not have any other way to contact a moderator.

Thanks
Jim
I reckon so....
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
It could take awhile for Matt to see this. My e-mail address is in the clear for all to see and anyone can e-mail me any time. So is my phone number so there is no reason a member cannot contact me should they really want to do so.

Have him e-mail me at gbomgmt@graybeardoutdoors.com and tell me the problem. If I can't fix it I'll pass it on to Matt to help him. I suspect he's just forgotten either his password or his user name. To help with either I need to know his e-mail address of record as that's the only place I send new passwords is to the e-mail address of record unless they can tell me what older one they might have.

We have had a few instances of people trying to steal another's account by asking for a new password to it and only our policy of not sending it to other e-mail addresses prevented the theft.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline poules'deau

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 03:15:27 PM »
Thanks Graybeard,

I typed his handle wrong.  It should be Targetshootr.  My mistake.

Jim
I reckon so....
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 12:35:22 AM »
I can login and go to any forum or thread with no problem except NEF WANT TO TRADE then it ask me to login if i do not go back there every
thing is ok, if i do i have to login and can not go back  to that site, this started as only occasionaly but yesterday and today it is every  time i try it.  Tell me what i am doing wrong, or am i band from their.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 03:43:39 AM »
Nope you are not in any way banned from any forum on this site. I really have no clue why you are experiencing the problem tho so either Matt or Tim will have to see if they can figure it out. I'm not technically competent to help sorry.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 04:52:38 AM »
Rex. I checked permissions which look fine for both of your member groups, I don't have a clue what's wrong, I think Matt will have to check it out. In the mean time, try this direct link. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,240.0.html

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 06:05:41 AM »
OK thanks for looking, it is just the one that is what throws me
i can be logged in and on dif. fourms and that is the only one that does it.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Basicguy

• Gray power
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
Surely there must be a better way to protect from spam than dunning the regular members. I have been around for a while with normal posts and no issues with anyone that I know of. I use two different locations and maybe more with my wireless system.

I am glad that this site doesn't fall to some Demo islamic union progressives.

Go Figure.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Surely there must be a better way to protect from spam than dunning the regular members. I have been around for a while with normal posts and no issues with anyone that I know of. I use two different locations and maybe more with my wireless system.

I am glad that this site doesn't fall to some Demo islamic union progressives.

Go Figure.

What in the world are you talking about? You brought up a long dead thread. Last post was over 14 months ago until you opened it back up. Did you notice the date on the original post?

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline sphingta

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »
could you please help me out. I changed my password when we got the noyice about the attempted hack. % can't remember my password and the system won't send anything to my email. I stayed logged in on my phone but can't log in on my computer. Please help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
Check your email for the temporary password.

Tim

yeayow

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
Sorry Quick i re-registered as yeayow(sphingta) but i'd like to keep my old login. I am not getting the e-mail. It should be listed as xxxxxxx for sphingta. Could you check on that because i'm not getting the password reset.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Password sent again.  ???

Tim

Offline sphingta

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:08 PM »
thank you finally got it. if you could would you be able to delete the yeayow account

Offline Ak Dave

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
I thought my account was hacked because I couldn't get in but see differntly now. I had to open a new account as i've changed my email and couldn't acces my account to change it there. How do I go about getting my old handle and stats back? Thanks, Dave

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
I changed your password and e-mailed it to you at the address you gave Tim. You should have gotten it unless your ISP has GBO blocked. You will need to e-mail me for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 08:53:24 PM »
Love the site-one of the best. My issue is while my passwword works (after a couple bobbles & changes with the upgrade) I've gone to far to add the Case-diverse new PW tothe Favorites entry- but everytime I come back the the site after checking-Forever-as time to stay logged on-I find I'm not there and reapply each time X the last 10 or so attempts. Before the upgrade I neverhad this problem.  I hope I have never fallen out of grace, I did on another forum for using a term about mentally challenged people that was totally un- intended, but less than sensitive on my part-my bad. Tis is not a major issue-I still get on w/o a major problem, just thought you would like to know. I am very patient-remember PeoplePC.com-with their free computer/printer/monitor for a 2 yr contract? That was my first PC and only Dial-up (26.4 KBPS). Sometimes with at service it to hours to get on the Web!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all @ GBO. George Ingols, RAmer, AL

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I only just recently have had issues. The FireFox instr. above were not dialog boxes on mine. The below seems to have worked:
Tools
Clear All History
uncheck Active Logins

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 11:20:34 AM »
That's not surprising, there are a gazillion FF versions!  :o

Tim

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/