Author Topic: Coned/chamfered chamber mouths?  (Read 784 times)

Offline Uncle Howie

• Trade Count: (0)
Coned/chamfered chamber mouths?
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
Hello again-

Just wanted to run something by you guys to see if it passed the sniff test...

I read an opinion on another board that coned or chamfered chamber mouths were a desirable feature on a C&B revolver. Here's the logic as I understood it:
-a round ball that "shaves" a ring of lead when rammed has a relatively small bearing surface (ring?) in contact with the rifling in the barrel
-if the cylinders were coned/chamfered, this would shave little or no lead, and supposedly "squish" the ball a little, resulting in  a larger bearing surface

My thoughts:
-"coning" of a muzzle on a rifle was a method used to make it easier to get a projectile started down the barrel
-the the larger the bearing surface in contact with the rifling, the less "round" the ball will be, and accuracy will be negatively affected
-if you really want lots of contact with the barrel, there are conicals available (at least one or two options out there...)

My plans:
-to leave the factory (slightly) chamfered mouths alone on my beautiful Old Army!

Thanks in advance for any discussion or thoughts you might have to share!

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: Coned/chamfered chamber mouths?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 11:10:19 AM »
I choose the chamfering option on my Stainless Pietta 1858 44cal. Mouths were really square and sharp from factory.
I took a Lyman chamfer tool and applied-it sparingly by hand.

Work well with paper cartridges.

Offline Flint

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:39:27 PM »
Chamfering enough to eliminate an overly sharp edge, or burrs is OK.  Colt for a time chamfered the chambers, but then stopped.  What reason the start or stop of the practice, I don't know.  Shaving a ring or swaging with a chamfer wouldn't noticably change the flat put on the ball, as the difference in diameter between the ball and the chamber is what determines the flat, and you need the difference to seal the chamber..

In any case, if you feel you must, only cut a very small chamfer, no more than pascalp showed, as you don't want it to contribute to the fouling driven down to the cylinder arbor at the cylinder gap.  I chamfered a few, but generally don't, as I've had no problems with factory chamber mouths.

The exception was Ruger Old Army that swaged a ball smaller at the mouth than at the seated position, and the ball would fall out of the cylinder once seated.  I sent it back to Ruger and it was rather crudely scraped out with a scraper, something I could have done without the wait involved with shipping.  I had expected a new cylinder........
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Uncle Howie

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:36:28 AM »
Thanks for the info.

The cylinder picture pascalp posted shows a degree of chamfer very similar to what my ROA came with.

I don't plan any tinkering, was just digesting some things that I'd read.

Thanks, -Uncle Howie