Author Topic: percussion caps  (Read 1579 times)

Offline jpaulghetto

• Trade Count: (0)
percussion caps
« on: April 04, 2003, 09:27:25 AM »
I use #11 cci caps without dificulty with my old amy. {which is for sale to MI. resedence]. prevailing theory seeme to dis the #11 cap.  I've had no problems in thirty years with the old army. While I use remington primers for center fire cartridge loading, I've had nothing but trouble with the companys caps. In a word, they are crap!!!!!!!!  This silliness about fire transfer from nipple to nipple is nonsense. Use whatever cap that will fit.

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 10:09:49 AM »
I found the Ruger works best with Remington #10 caps.  Although the Remingtons had a bad reputation, desevedly so, the new Remington caps, found in the new packaging are quite a bit better, and I have yet to have a misfire with them.  I now have trouble with CCI caps.  Remington #11 caps are too large, CCI are just a hair too large, and CCI #10 are too small.  jpaul, the crossfire danger is dependent upon the gun involved.  Thr Ruger is pretty safe, but some other revolver cylinder designs out there are not.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Buster

percussion caps
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 01:58:05 PM »
I've just aquired some RWS no. 1075 caps.   Gunsmith swore up and down they were the best to be had.  Gonna  try 'em out soon.

Offline J.Solo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
percussion caps
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 05:07:26 PM »
Flint:
Please tell me what to look for to identify the old Remington #10's and the new #10's. I just bought some for my Ruger Old Army and this is the first I have heard about the Old/New problem. I hope I did not buy the old caps. Thanks - J.Solo

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
percussion caps
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 06:45:29 PM »
J. Solo:

I agree with Flint on this one.  I tried just about everything (including CCI's that got tossed) and I kept coming back to the Remington #10 caps.  They fit the best on my ROA revolver...and ZERO hang fires after literally hundreds of rounds.  They do seem hotter (Rem claims by 40%)...but that's just my perception.

The Remington caps are usually found hanging in retail packaging as singles, in a clear plastic cards.  They can be bought in bulk too.

Hope that helps.

Be Safe!   ...Chris    :D

P.S. I CAP ALL OF THE CYLINDERS...why become a statistic?  :wink:
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline jpaulghetto

percussion caps
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 12:10:17 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for the "New and Improved" Remington caps. Jeff

Offline J.Solo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
percussion caps
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 03:21:29 AM »
Flint:
You may know what you are looking for but I still don't. My gun store sells individual tins of #10 caps and may still have old stock. Is there something on the tin container like a different color, name or number to identify the old from the new? Thanks again - J.Solo

Offline Flint

caps
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 11:03:59 AM »
J.Solo, sorry I had trouble logging on (again), Greybeard's site does not get along with AOL.  The old Remington caps came in a can with a green lower half of the label with the word Remington in it in white, and UMC in the upper white area.  The new can label is mostly white with a black banner with a gold border and the word Remington(in white), and  under that a smaller black, gold bordered banner that says Black Powder in gold.
The can comes in a plastic blister pack/hanging card, mostly green, with "Remington" in a maroon banner with the black and gold Black Powder banner under id like the can, and a red spot with the words New Hotter Caps, 40% more flame volume.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
percussion caps
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 04:19:23 PM »
Chris,

I can sort of lend credence to that claim by remington -- at least vs CCIs. I have been shooting combustable cartridges in my .44 Pietta 58. With the CCIs, I have to prick the back of the cartridge with a needle to ensure reliable ignition. I just tried my first box of Remingtons, and fired thirty rounds without pricking the cartridge, with no ignition problem of any kind. No hesitation, no hangfires or failure to fire. Of course if I were shooting in competition, I would still prick the back of the cartridge just to be on the safe side.

Offline Ken55

Ruger Old Army
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 07:07:03 PM »
My Ruger SS Old Army (about 15yrs old) states in the owners manual to   use #10 caps.  Used to try #11's on it & the cap fragments would fall off & lock up the action.  Used to really tick me off, considering I have owned several cheaper cap & ball revolvers, which shot without any problems.     Just happened to one day to reread the owners manual & there it was, USE #10 Caps.  Sinse switching over to #10's gun functions flawlessly,     can even fan it without any problems..
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration.  Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the World will follow our lead into the future"  - Adolf Hitler 1935

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
percussion caps
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 07:07:19 PM »
Howdy Pards,
I have a couple of older ROAs in 71/2" and I tried about all the caps available. I found that I could squeeze a #11CCI and they would stay on OK, but I found that the RWS 10.75 cap is best for me on those. I also have a couple of the new 5 1/2" stainless ROAs and tried using the RWS caps and they are too loose and fall off unless I squeeze them. The #10 new style remington caps work on them flawlessly. I have had none fall off and I have had to re hit one about twice in 3 matches. It seems that the nipples must have changed in the newer models. That's been my experience. I like 'em  :-)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA