Author Topic: Any hints for leveling crosshairs?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Any hints for leveling crosshairs?
« on: April 04, 2003, 09:27:52 AM »
I'm needing some ideas on how to efficiently get my crosshairs level/perpendicular when mounting a new scope.  I've pretty much relied on the old hold it up and set it where it looks right for the most part.

Are there any tools out there that can make this job easier without breaking the bank.  Or, are there any techniques that are simple that wouldn't cost anything?  Not wanting to purchase a high dollar bore sighter or anything like that.

Thanks for all of your help,

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 01:14:00 PM »
I use a tasco scope guide that was with my reloading stuff when I bought it years ago.  You can see one here: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/tasborunnew.html  The three plastic parts snap together and fit in the muzzle.  The circle has a grid of lines that you can see though the scope.  The little cap fits on the scope and has a hole that acts as a pin hole lens to focus in the grid, but I didn't use it the first time.  It's cheap and it works.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline MoustacheMike

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 06:06:11 PM »
I have to disagree slightly with the above endorsement of using a bore sighter to level your scope.  Using a bore sighter alone will not assure you that the reticle is square to the action or to the bore...it is quite possible to tilt the bore sighter and the scope by an equal amount that will look great but still be off.  (The bore sighter and the scope can be square to each other without either actually being level.)  Only if you can be sure that the action is level and the bore sighter is level could you safely use the bore sighter's grid to level the reticle.

There are some inexpensive tips, like marking a level line on a wall and using that to align the reticle (again, just be sure that the action is perfectly level before you start).  A strip of duct tape and a good carpenter's level will fix you right up.

There are also various mechanical aids to help you be sure that the scope is level, depending on your budget.  Look at:

http://www.segway-industries.com/

http://www.microlevel.biz/vertical_retical_instrument.html

http://www.deadeye2.com/

Once I have the scope reticle level, I use it to adjust the orientation of the bore sighter's grid.  I'd be a lot happier if my bore sighter had a built in level, or was square (so I could use a regular bubble level on it).  

Good luck,
MM

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 06:06:30 PM »
There is an inexpensive tool made of clear plastic you use to get your rectical squared up. It is "L" shaped and you slide it in the bolt raceway. There is a line scribed on it to use as a reference. I'm not sure who makes it. I clamp my rifles in a gun cleaning vice and use the recoil pad/butt plate screws as a reference. I hold a torpedo level across the two screws and get the rifle plumb. I suspend a black boot lace with a weight as a plumb bob for a reference  to align the rectical. Dave

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 02:36:14 AM »
Good tips, Mike.  That's what is great about this sport and this forum, the quest for improvement.
 :idea:
I agree that with the bore sighter, there is still some "human factor" involved.  With care though, I think I'm getting the crosshairs pretty level.  Before that, I was doing the same as Ranger and just eyeballing it.

Regards,
Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Thanks Guys, but more ???
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 07:12:20 PM »
I appreciate the comments and suggestions.  I like the set-up from this place http://www.deadeye2.com/    Makes a whole lot of sense to me.  I may try and make one on my own since I've just found two bubble level inserts in my tool box.  

Tell me if you think this will work.  Lay level across flats on top/rear of Encore action.  Get level in a gun cradle.  Hang dark colored string w/ weight on white wall and align vertical crosshair with string.

Is there any better place to use as a reference for level than the flat on the top/rear (just above the hammer) of the Encore?  Scope base a better spot assuming that it's level with the gun and not canted slightly?

Thanks again,

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 07:18:06 PM »
I'm not familiar with the encore but everything else is what I use. Dave

Offline KN

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 12:53:06 PM »
I have done that with pretty good sucsses on the Encore, but don't use the scope mount as your leveling surface. I have found that most of them are not very level. I don't believe that its all that inportant that the gun be absolutly "level" to the world when you start but that its held at the same orientation every time you shoot it. What I mean is if the gun is slightly canted and you level your gun to that, as long as your shooting it with the same slight cant and level your bullet impact should be where you want it. I'm sure there is probably some error to this but I havn't really found a way to garuntee that a rifle is absolutly "level" to begin with. There are variables in the rifle itself such as "action to stock centerline rotation", is the stock itself made a little "off center". It's kind of a subjective thing when trying to find a starting point. Since your talking Encore, I usually use the area just below the hammer for my level. It is on a little bit of angle so you have to be sure that your level is square with the gun. You also need to start with a level surface to work from. I dont use the flat your talking about because I can't re-check it once the scope is mounted. I also use a door frame across the basement that I know is level.  Hope this helps.  KN