Author Topic: Anyone else ever try to quit smoking after 20 years...  (Read 1267 times)

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone else ever try to quit smoking after 20 years...
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:08:05 PM »
I decided to quit smoking because of my involvement with the youth at our church.  I just felt convicted to quit but it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do.
It's been 11 days since I have stopped and I already feel much better with the addiction.  I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach though and it is hard to fall asleep at night.  Anyone else have or had these symptoms.  I have quit cold turkey.  I've heard that tobacco is seven times more addictive than crack...I believe it now as I'm going through some withdrawals I think.  Any words of encouragement would be great fellows...

Offline briarpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone else ever try to quit smoking after 20 years...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 03:27:56 PM »
January 1 1979  Never looked back..  Is it easy? No!!!   I would say to myself when I wanted one: about every 30 minutes.               I could smoke one but would I feel any better or worse if did ?  It has worked so far.  good luck 

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »
30-30 Man,

Stay the course. I agree it's a horrible addiction but as many of we ex-smokers prove, it can be done. My incentive to quit, back in 1984, was to save my cigarette money and buy something for myself. Back then, I figured it was costing me $20/week, so that's what I put aside.  That was over $1000 per year not spent on cigarettes. I found that my shooting hobby was just about self supporting on my cigarette money.

You'll feel proud of your accomplishment and you can probably use the few pounds you'll gain from using food too satisfy that doggone craving.

Good luck kicking the habit.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:57:09 PM »
It is a hard habit to kick, but once you make up your mind you can do it.  Change your habits for a while, don't have ashtrays around, avoid those places where you use to go to smoke, and stay out of tight quarters and vehicles with folks who do smoke.  I smoked for almopst 40 years, put em down about 14 years ago, and haven't had one since.  I have been tempted several times to start again, but always managed to steer away from them.

It will be tough, but you can do it.  Get a large bag of wintergreen lifesavers and keep a pocket full, when you want one sub the lifesaver.  Your can get there, we will keep you in our prayers.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
I smoked for 30 years.  After watching my Dad die at age 68 from smoking related illness (after 10 years of poor health), I knew what my future was going to be. My Dad was always stronger and more hardy then me at the same age. I didn't want the same end.  For a few years, I had played all the games - getting hypnotized, trying to cut back, stopping, starting, sneaking.  My Dr. had told me that if I quit , after 5 years my lung cancer risk was reduced to that of a non-smoker.  I figured every time I would start again, I was just pushing that five years further away, and getting closer to the point of no return. In other words, quitting in your 50's or 60's is probably way too late, the damage is done, not only to your lungs, but your vascular system.  So in June of 1990, it finally hit me - no more screwing around.  I threw half a pack away - crabby, feeling lousy for awhile, reaching nervously for my (empty) shirt pocket, didn't know what to do at a work break - but it faded away.  Hang in there.  I really never crave them any more, although I believe in honesty -  I enjoyed my smoking.  If it was good for your health, I would probably start again.  But it isn't - it kills you - some faster than others.  I like being around my grandkids too much.  Not to mention - no more burn holes in my shirts, getting up at 2 am and frantically searching my coat pockets for one last cigarette, straightening butts from the ashtray and smoking the last half inch when you can't find one.  And yes, it is sure an expensive habit now.  I smoked two packs a day (more when enjoying a few beers).  At todays prices the annual costs would pay for a guided hunt every year.   
Hang in there.  It will get better.  You're in charge of your life.  Just do it.  There is no downside to quitting.  You will be glad you did, and you will feel better physically and mentally. None of us knows what our health situation has in store for us - but there is a certain well-deserved calmness from knowing that you are doing the best you can for your health.  By the way, I respect the reason you decided to quit.  Hats off to you.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »
 I quit in 1989 after 15 years of smoking. Some anxiety and rage involved in the withdrawal. But kept looking beyond all that. The benefits of not smoking are many. The role model thing for one, as you mentioned. Plus no more smelling bad, coughing, congested nose, lungs, sore throat, increased cancer risk and last and least, expense. My secret to success is NEVER have even one cigarette and keep all the disadvantages in mind, especially during the difficult times. One more thing, eat as much as you want and gaining 20 pounds is a small trade off. I wish you luck and strength.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 02:24:39 AM »
  One of the best decisions you`ll ever make!!  You`ll be tested every step of the way by the "just one more puff" devil but if your mind is MADE_UP you can do it.
   I quit cold turkey over 30 years ago (not easy believe me) but i stayed the course
   and to this day have never looked back.
   No more yellow fingers, stinky breath, early morning cough, bumming a smoke when you run out,smoking a butt(nasty) cause you don`t have any change, etc.
   Ones things for sure you`ll feel a hell of a lot better down the road.
   When i smoked the cost was 23 cents now look! You almost need a second job to afford  the cost of a very bad habit.
   Good luck, now your going to find out what your made of.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:46:59 AM »
Congratulations on quitting! I quit once, cold turkey, and then started up again years after (more on that later). This summer, I'm going to quit for good. I do remember what it was like, though. The first three days were the worst. I couldn't sleep, I ate everything in sight, and I just couldn't keep still. The cravings were pretty strong for about two weeks, then after that they tapered off. You'll always want one for the rest of your life, but you'll be strong, and you will just ignore it.

The most common advice I give is: Don't hang around with smokers, don't drink heavily (especially if you did the two in combination before), lay off the coffee, and have lots of plans for the next few weeks. That's the most important one, and the one mistake I made. Keep your hands and your mind busy!

You know what I hate most about smoking? The shakes. You can imagine how frustrating that is to a shooter.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »
've quit at least 3 times for 2 or 3 years........go out running the dogs while on vacation and think I'd have a cigar....next thing ya know I'm smoking again.......once.....after water skiing all day...and after a big steak dinner at the campground on the lake and a couple of adult beverages I thought what the heck I'm on vacation........I'd been quit about 3 years that time.....

I'm smoke free for almost 3 years this time.........my son-in-law was here over the 4th....he was lighting fireworks with a cigarette....asked me if I wanted a cigarette to light with.........I guess I was focused enough to realize the last thing I needed in my hand was a cigarette..........it only takes one draw for me.....

It's a powerful addiction for sure........take it one day at a time........it'll get better over time, but I will admit I still have a nicotine attack every once in awhile to this day.........

Pray hard.......you'll make it!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »
Thanks fellers, I need the prayers and the kind words have helped more than you guys will ever know...

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
30-30man.  Today I visited a friend in a VA hospital in Big Springs, TX.  It almost makes you sick to see some of the guys there, many suffering from lung cancer, can't walk, confined to a wheel chair with a portable oxygen tank.  Yet I witnessed several of them wheeling outdoors to SMOKE a cigarette.  When you witness something like this it makes you wonder, how does anyone get so hooked on a bunch of crap rolled up in a piece of paper. When I stopped to get fuel for my trip home I went in to pay, behind the counter was a very beautiful young lady about 20 years old, she had everything going for her until I got close enough to get a scent, she smelled like a butt can.  How could anyone want to put a big smacky mouth on something that smelled that bad.

Lets face it, smoking in an unhealthy, expensive and very nasty habit.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
One more voice of support. I quit after smoking for thirty years. That was 34 years ago. Twelve years ago I watched my brother die at the age of 69 because he "couldn't quit". Emphysema, congestive heart failure.

When I was 48 my wife dragged me off to a Seventh Day Adventist quit smoking class. One thing they told us was that quitting was not an all day all week crisis thing. Instead, it is a series of three minute crises spaced an hour or so apart. When you smoke, your desire to smoke is coasting along at low ebb. Pretty soon the desire goes up. You light up. After the second puff the desire goes back down. You finish the cig anyhow because, afte all, you don't want to waste anything now, do you? Another hour goes by with the desire at low ebb. You light up again and the cycle is repeated.

OK, now you quit. The desire goes up and you want to light up. But IF YOU DON'T, the desire will drop back down after about three minutes.

Hell, man, you can stand on your head for three minutes! Don't cave. Get up, drink a glass of water, get on the the floor and do a dozen push ups, call your wife, mother, girl friend, best friend, and get a few words of support. In three minutes all will be well again. IT IS NOT AN ALL DAY CRISIS, just a three minute crisis. Take them one at a time and before you know it you will be repelled by the odor of an ash tray.

I'm 83 now and I'm certain had I not quit I would have died before I was seventy, just as my younger brother did.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »
Thanks again fellers...I'm doing much better now and I'm still smoke free.  This Tuesday will be three weeks.  The urge to smoke is alot less now but I'm still having trouble falling asleep.  There's all kind of weird stuff on at 3:00A.M.  Anyways deer season starts August 15th around my stick of the woods so I'll soon be very busy.  I think anyone will agree that smoking is terrible and has killed millions.  I lost one of my closest friends at age 48 to heart disease that was accelerated due to smoking.  I hate tobacco but I blame no one but myself on my addiction to it.  I wish all of you who gave a kind word the best.  You guys provided an encouragement when I needed it the most. Isn't this board the best ; people who don't know you from Adam take the time to pick you up when your down...Thanks guys

Offline WoodyP

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 06:50:02 AM »
One thing that you need to know is that the 12-14th days were the worst for withdrawals.  The other thing, is that one cigarette will bring the whole addiction back.  I had to quit four times because I thought that after quitting for 18 months or so, that I could smoke just one.  If you do, you'll be buying a pack within hours, and a carton within days.  I finally quit smoking (2 1/2 packs aday) and dipping (can of Skoal every two days), on 31OCT2001.  I'm glad I did.
Good Luck and Best Regards,
Woody

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 10:37:03 AM »
3030 MAN. Congrats friend. I quit in 98 after having smoked well over 30 years, pipe, cigars, cigs, and chewed skoal. The skoal was easy, I had 2 friends die of throat and mouth cancer. They had parts of their faces removed a bit at a time and died horrible deaths. What finally convinced me that I HAD to quit was visiting the cemetary where my dad is buried. I started seeing fresh graves of folks I grew up with, played with, fished, hunted, camped with. All dead from tobacco related cancers, mostly lung. Only one had been killed in a car wreck. I started taking welbutrin, a generic zyban. It relaxes and helped with the tension of nicotine withdrawel. The thing that helped me the most was the prayers of my church family. God gave me the strength to lay them down. If I thought that I could smoke one right now, and not start in again, I'd do it in a heart beat. I know I can't even have ONE puff, or I'll be hooked again. I loved to smoke, enjoyed it immensely, at least I thought I did. Now, I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it so much, or just couldn't wait for another hit of that nicotine. Nicotine is an extremely addictive drug, YES, I said drug. The tobacco companies lied to me, and the world, for the 30+ years I smoked. I don't blame them, I knew they were lying, but just used their lies to rationalize my smoking. Hang in there dude, you can do it. When I quit I'd been smoking 3-4 packs of cigs a day, + the occasional cigar, and I really loved that pipe. Prayer sent friend. Ask your church to pray for you. POWDERMAN.
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 01:34:34 PM »
Thanks Powderman,  I never considered myself a heavy smoker.  I never smoked a great deal because of not being able to smoke at work.  I work for the Feds and couldn't smoke within 300 yards of any building.  A pack normally lasted me about two to three days.  I have many at home, on this board, and at work that are praying for me and I appreciate every one. 

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 06:27:41 PM »
I decided to quit smoking because of my involvement with the youth at our church.  I just felt convicted to quit but it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do.
It's been 11 days since I have stopped and I already feel much better with the addiction.  I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach though and it is hard to fall asleep at night.  Anyone else have or had these symptoms.  I have quit cold turkey.  I've heard that tobacco is seven times more addictive than crack...I believe it now as I'm going through some withdrawals I think.  Any words of encouragement would be great fellows...

30-30,

Hang in there, I stopped smoking on Jan. 1, 2005. Has it been easy, no it hasn't. I had smoked since I was 13 years old, I was 42 when I stopped. Cold turkey is hard, I know that is how I stopped. I don't call it quitting, to quit is to lose, I am not going to lose this fight, so I stopped and made the cigarettes lose their hold over me, they quit controlling me, so they lost. Part of it is a mind game to overcome the addiction, the rest will come with time.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline rifleman61

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 06:04:39 AM »
One day after twenty years of smkoing[I said I think that this tastes like@#****@#] and after my next to the least set of sea duty orders I walked up to the fantail of my  ship underway and took a beautiful Zippo "CPO" lighter that my men gave me engraved with my name on it and a full carton of "seastores" Camels[that's all I ever smoked] and threw them all over the side, we were doing about 25knts.  I never bothered to ask "Charley Oscar" if he wouldn't mind stopping the ship and backing down so that I could retrieve them, as if he would do that anyway.  Haven't missed them a day since.
All ya' gotta' do is do it; the rest is cream cheese!

Anchor's Away/SemperFi
CPO Bull

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 01:15:03 AM »
I smoke-but I appaulde you and for the reasons you have made this decision. Keep it up and be conscious of the reasons, pray.
you can see from those who would encourage you that it is a doable thing.
YOU will make it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 04:00:59 AM »
Well it has been over a month now.  The craving is still there but the withdrawal symptoms are gone I think.  I'm still smoke free and I hope it wasn't too late.  Thanks for the kind words. 

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 04:09:58 AM »
Good going 30-30 Man!  It's never too late and your health IS improving in many ways.  Hang in there.  You will never regret this change.  Prayers for you.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
great
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 04:19:38 AM »
Hey 3030

You have every right to be very proud of yourself. My best friend huntin/fishin buddy is a very heavy smoker and it makes me sad. He wants to quit but can not.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 06:58:57 AM »
Quit smoking for 12 years. Started up again when my wife got pregnant with our first. Within 2 weeks I was right back up to 2 packs a day. They say it's the same for alcoholics, there's no having a drink with dinner and stopping after you've had a problem. So my advice to you is keep telling yourself you made it this far don't blow it now because you'll go right back to where you were when you quit. Don't you feel a lot better now? I ended up quitting again because my kids were very curious about it and I don't want to be responsible for them starting. It seemed it was harder the second time.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline creosote

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 06:55:14 PM »
 I quit in 84`having started in `65.
   I used snuff as a substitute, all the while visions of oral cancer danced in my head I can assure you!
  In just a few weeks I tossed the snuff and I had nightmares on and off for years that I started smoking again. That will never happen as I consider it one of my major victories.
  The thing that got me all fired up about smoking,and I was a smoker lighting one off of another all day long, was to come home dead tired and sit down and find I was down to just a couple of smokes, then I had to get up and drive to a store and get another pack.
  It was slavery and I got sick and tired of it.
                                          Good luck,if I can stop ,anyone can.
                                                       Creosote

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 12:54:11 PM »
I started smokin when I was twelve and quit when I was thirty-three. How? I quit putting em in my mouth. It's kinda like being fat. Solution, is to stop puttin stuff in your mouth (baring a thyroid problem). Everytime I wanted a cigarette I told myself what a weak character I had to want something that was bad for me. I guess it worked I fifty-six and still don't smoke. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Questor

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »
I quit after 18 years. My son was due to be born in June and in April I went on a trout fishing outing, took my last cigarettes, and quit. The reason was that I knew that the child would be born and that I didn't want it to see me smoking. I remember the ride home. My usual smokes were Marlboro Light. I got a pack of regular Marlboro. Smoked a few on the way home knowing they would be my last. Got within 100 miles of home. Finished the last cig. Never touched another one since.

I picked up the habit from my parents. I resolved not to pass it on to my child.

Since that April day I have not touched another cigarette, and have not wanted one. It was easy for me because the stakes  were so high.  That was 14 years ago.
Safety first

Offline jhm

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 02:35:55 AM »
Yes in 1981 or so I just put them DOWN it was rough for a few days but got over it, however I continued to use the smokeless bandits but quit them after a few years 4 years went thru throat cancer and I cant say for sure that the smoking or the smokless had anything to do with that but if it did you can be assured I am sorry I ever smoked that first one or took that 1st. pinch, cemo and daily radiation for a 8 week period will take a long block of time out of your life, just to give you the rest of your life, and if you dont smoke dont start if you do smoke or dip go to any cancer hospital and spend a few hours just looking around it will make a believer out of you.   JIM