Author Topic: Spotting Scope Recommendation?  (Read 993 times)

Offline DeeGee

• Trade Count: (0)
Spotting Scope Recommendation?
« on: April 04, 2003, 01:04:09 PM »
Have used a Simmons 15x45 x50 on the prairie of South Dakota for about 10 years.  I'm going to treat myself to a new spotting scope for this year's venture of Prairie Dog dusting.  I'm thining about a $200 to $300 range. I'd say 99% of my shooting will be from a bench and the spotting scope mounted on a tripod next to my chair.   Appreciate your comments and/or recommendations.  Thank you.
DG

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 03:09:12 PM »
DeeGee,

I really like the Nikon Spotting scopes.  They are crisp, clear and bright.  In your price range, I would look at the Sky & Earth.  Another one to consider is the Leupold Sequoia.  Both are great scopes, but like the Nikon better.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 03:59:11 PM »
And if you can afford to spend a little bit more money, take a look at the higher level Nikons and the Elite spotting scopes.  The Elite spotting scopes are nice because they have Rainguard which could really come in handy.  You said that you wanted to treat yourself...this would be it.  I'm sure that Jon could tell you how much more it would be, but believe me, they are worth the price and it's reasonable.

Zachary

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 08:11:09 AM »
Keep an eye on ebay, I watched for a few weeks, and was able to score on a Fujinon 20-80X for a good deal.  Having used a cheap Tasco for a few years, it's a pleasure to use the good scope.  You do get more performance with higher end optics, for sure.

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline DeeGee

Fujinon 20x60
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 03:37:04 AM »
Directed to Tom:
Appreciate all replies about my request.   I wonder where a person could find the fair price for a used Fujinon 20x60 spotting scope? I'm familiar with the most popular makes but not with the Fujinon or what a good used unit should be valued.
DG

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 05:55:15 AM »
A fair price is what the buyer and seller agree upon.  I priced the scope I bought (or anything on ebay, for that matter) based on what I can buy it for new, and discount appropriately.  I saved about 30% over the best retail price I could find.  For checking the quality of any scope you might choose, do a google search for it, and there are usually some ratings available, typically at the birdwatching websites.

HTH
Regards,

Tom

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 09:41:45 AM »
I once thought some of the spotting scopes in the $200-300 price range were pretty good until I looked thru a B&L Elite 20-60x80MM. WOW! what a difference. Kinda like night and day.

Quality optics of this kind are really a once in a lifetime investment. Don't be cheap here. Your binoculars and spotting scope really are one of a kinda generally in a person's arsenal of useful equipment. Unlike scopes for which you need one per gun. Buy the best to start with and you'll never have to spend the money to upgrade later.

I have looked thru and used a LOT of spotting scopes. I have no doubt there are others out there in the same class as the B&L Elite but honestly I've so far not looked thru one that can even hold a candle to it. Not a hunting scope by any means as it is huge and heavy and you'd not want to tote it hunting but from the bench it is just unreal. You will clearly see things at 300 yards with it that might be questionable at 100 yards with scopes in the $200-300 class.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!