Author Topic: COMMERCIAL LOADS FOR .357 hERRETT  (Read 411 times)

Offline barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
COMMERCIAL LOADS FOR .357 hERRETT
« on: July 15, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »
Are there any companies that sell ammo for the .357 Herrett?   Also, what would be the best bullet in a .357 Max  for black bear and elk? Thanks.
barber

Offline PaulS

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: COMMERCIAL LOADS FOR .357 hERRETT
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 06:24:12 PM »
Are there any companies that sell ammo for the .357 Herrett?   Also, what would be the best bullet in a .357 Max  for black bear and elk? Thanks.

Barber,

The best load for Black Bear would be a Speer 180 gr rifle bullet and a 98% load of H110. It should be good out to about 75 yards against a Black Bear. I don't personally think that the 357 Maximum is enough gun for Elk. I don't think it has the power to cleanly kill an animal the size of an elk. The hottest load you can shoot (within SAAMI specs) is a Hornady 180 grain spire soft point (rifle bullet) and a full charge (Maximum charge) of AA1680. It is only marginally better than 1900 FPS as it leaves the muzzle. It is like using a 30-30 and 170 grain bullet on a moose. It is just not enough power to do the job right. I don't know if 357 Herrett loads are still available but they used to sell them commercially. Check the Thompson Center website under ammo or ammunition.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.