Author Topic: 45/70 Contender  (Read 497 times)

Offline jro45

• Trade Count: (0)
45/70 Contender
« on: July 16, 2006, 02:41:55 AM »
Went to the range yesterday shooting my Contender 45/70 witch has a brake at the end of the barrel.
So anyhow I was shooting at 100 yds but could not get this gun to give me a three shot group. I mean the rounds were all over the place.
The 300 gr bullets were going at 1550 fps.

Ever have this happen to you?

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Re: 45/70 Contender
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 06:17:02 AM »
Jro;

Nope.  Is yours scoped?  The .45-70 is a scope beater if you don't have good optics.  Don't know your setup.  I have a Leopold handgun scope on mine and my velocities are in the 1560 range as well and the first time out, my scope was moving during recoil.  It was actually rotating in the mounts and I was afraid I would strip the screws as tight as I had to make it.  If you haven't already, you might want to get the 3 ring scope mounts.  A lot more bearing surface on the tube.

Dan

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »
Same thoughts on the scope, my brothers 12" Hunter model broke the whole battery pack gizmo off the side of his T/C "Recoil Proof" scope off after about 10 shots.  If it's scoped, check this first, if iron sights, it is one of 2 things, 1- gun hates that particular load, or 2- your shooting may have been off on that particular day.  If unacustomed to heavy kickers, your shooting can go to pot in a hurry.  It happens to me, even if I just take a couple months off from shooting heavy kickers.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:35:31 AM »
I just bought a 45-70 barrel that I THINK I owned before.It was scoped with a 2x Leupold.It would shoot clay birds on the 150 yard bank for about ten shots! Then recoil stresses would kick in and  an 18" target was safe.  Who loaded the ammo? How clean is the bore.? Lead or copper fouling can really screw up a group. DID the barrel EVER shoot great groups? Were these .458 diameter or .454 diameter bullets?  AND last were you shooting off hand or on bags.? Please do NOT think I am chiding you about these questions. I have seen OR done most of these things myself.Check the bore 1st,then the bullets.Then the sights!

Offline jro45

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 02:36:49 AM »
I don't have a scope on it, open sights. I also shoot the S&W 500 so recoil isn't a factor. The bullets were 300 gr 458 dia.  Come to think about it it may have been the open sights cause I did have a group of about ten rounds in a 2"X6" at one peroid then they went all over the place.