Author Topic: Longhorn Mount?? off topic but...  (Read 317 times)

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Longhorn Mount?? off topic but...
« on: July 16, 2006, 07:29:44 AM »
..Since I post here mostly I thought I'd ask:

Anyone know of a good way to mount a set of longhorns? I want to be able to use them as a hood ornament, but hang them in my reloading room whenever I remove them from the truck (too wet here to even consider leaving them there full-time)

Here's the post made in the taxidermy forum, for a bit of background:

A couple of weeks ago My varmint hunting partner and I were in Montana for our yearly prarie dog safari.  I've always wanted a set of longhorns, for a hood ornament and one night in a saloon we were talking with the owner, who said he knew of someone who had a pair of horns mounted that they wanted to get rid of.

So, the next day I went in search of help in mounting my "prize".  Long story short, the mount to my hood went well until I slammed it shut the first time which was when I found out that the "solid" mounting of the horns was anything but because the right-hand horn vidsibly shifted when the hood met the latch.

So now I'm back home and I'm considering how these magnificent horns can be mounted so that they can survive on the hood of my pickup truck.

I'm thinking of filling the horns' first few inches deep on the open end with fiberglass resin/hardner and embedding a piece of threaded rod in the epoxy, then screwing the t-rod into a suitable base material, wrapping it on theoutside with leather, and then fixing this to a base which I can then mount to the hood of my pickup(hopefully using the same holes we drilled into the hood in montana)

If you think this sounds crazy, you should hear what my wife has to say but since this is my rig, well you can guess the rest.

Any suggestions?