Author Topic: Thanks for the great Forum  (Read 1012 times)

Offline mac_hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Thanks for the great Forum
« on: July 18, 2006, 02:09:56 AM »
Hello all,
I'm a new member to this forum even though I have been a fan of blackpowder cannon and mortar for a while. I would just like to express a thank you to all who take the time to share their vast knowledge base on these matters and for all the safety tips expressed consistantly expressed throughout the threads. Through reading and researching the posts on this forum, I have begun the infant steps needed in aquiring my first blackpowder mortar. Your forum has been a great help and a great tool in promoting the safe use of devices such as these. Thanks again and keep up the great work. Also, thanks to all those who support those of us Active Duty military persons that are out here on the front lines serving the greatest country and people on the face of this planet.
If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is the opposite of Progress?

Congress!

Offline mac_hunter

Re: Thanks for the great Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:15:02 AM »
I failed to mention what my dream mortar is that I have been researching and want to have built. Of course it would be a Coehorn, close to 12 pound scale, with a 4.5" bore, firing 4.3" Bocce Balls. Does anyone out there have any experiance with that set up? I have begun communication with a company, that I found through this forum, that has recomended it after I mentioned that my intended foder would be candlepin bowling balls.

Congress!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:33:38 AM »
Welcome  to our board, glad to have you. And thanks for doping your Patriotic duty voluntarily. A lot of us are old enough to remember the draft and accepted the draft as part of our civic responsiblity.

What don't you do a coehorn with standard the 4.62 inch 12 PDR bore. You can still shoot bocce balls but you could also shot 12 pdr cannon balls for match work. Several of of the suppliers liste on the Cannon list sell cannon balls.

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
To be honest, I really haven't settle on a bore diameter yet as I'm still in the early stages of R&D. I guess that's why I came to this sight. For the inputs. Thanks. How was South Africa? Did you get to do any hunting?

Congress!

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:30:37 PM »
Welcome to the board. 

12 pdr coehorn project

This is my on going 12 pdr coehorn project.  It has been on hold for a while now but I hope to get going on it again soon.  I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about my design.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »
mac_hunter -

WELCOME to the forum!

Looks like you've done some research on what you want already!

You'll get plenty of interaction from folks here - just toss out an idea or two!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:53:44 PM »
Thanks CU, your project was one that peaked my interest in the full scale 12 pounder. I do like the idea of the smaller bore diameters, golf ball and soda can, however, I want something a little larger to start with simply because as an American, bigger is always better. Especially when it comes to things that will put a smile on your face ever time.

DD, I noticed while researching the use of Bocce Balls that they come in a variaty of dimensions, from 4.5" (114mm), 4.3" (110mm), 4.2" (107mm), 4" (102mm) and 3.5" (90mm). I have read your posts and others about having enough windage between the inside of the tube and the outside of the ball, however, with a tube that large is there a diameter of ball that would be too small (besides the obvious of a golf ball or tennis ball)?

CW, thanks and I'm sure that as I get closer to returning back to the States in April, and getting my mortar made, I will be asking all sorts of questions. Like one I have right now. I know that cannons use worms and sponges and thumbstalls and I understand why after reading the stickys, but do mortars use same tools and in the same manor for the same reasons? If so, are most used hand made or can they be made to order?

Congress!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:38:11 PM »
Bocce balls seem a little expensive to use as cannon/mortar shot.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 09:29:56 PM »
I was told that bocce balls could be found at Wal-Mart in a set of 4 balls for fairly cheap and I've heard of a game that is played out on the east coast called Candlepin Bowling that uses a 4.5" diameter ball, made of the same material that full size 10 pin balls are made of but have no holes. Another thing is that I've seen the candlepin balls on ebay in a set of 3 for fairly cheap as well. That is one of the good things about having the techknowledgy that we have at our dispersal today. You can find things online at greatly reduced prices then you would have had to pay for the same thing 10 years ago, without the net.

Congress!

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »
I just found bocce balls on-line at Wal-Mart, 8 balls that are 4.2"(107mm) in diameter for $49.98. Is $6.25 per round too much to pay for ammo? Can a mould and rounds cast of zinc be had for less then that? Again, I'm new to this and trying to figure out the best route to take, before I settle on one thing. Thanks for the help that you all have been giving me so far.

Congress!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 06:00:20 AM »
Bocce ball are cheaper.  My mould and enough zinc to cast 10 rounds cost me $180.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 09:10:16 AM »
The ones I was seeing were over $10 each.  Zinc shot will be lots more expensive, although reusable unless severely damaged (or at least remeltable.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
I was thinking of using sand cast aluminum balls.  At 0.0975 lb/in^3 a solid 4.5” aluminum sphere figures out to be about 4.7 lbs.  I’m not sure what the price would be but they should be reusable.  I will probably start with 4” pvc pipe filled with concrete.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 12:31:02 PM »
I was thinking of using sand cast aluminum balls.

Depends how round you can get them.  If you can melt aluminum, you could cast them in a steel mould with a lot less work and probably a lot rounder.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 03:33:41 PM »
CU, after reading some more posts from back when this forum started on here (03-04) I have come to the same conclusion as you in that finding something in bore diameter with windage figured in that could be used to mold concrete would probably work best, for training and practice rounds. However, I do like the idea of firing a traditional round ball even though bocce balls are not traditional in the sense that I'm pretty sure during the Civil War, bocce balls would not have been fired.

Congress!

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 11:27:41 PM »
DD-Thanks for the referral. Got in touch with Wes. His reply was quick and we are in the process of working out the details of the build. He stated that he had to price the steel and then could give me a better quote for my piece and the mould for the balls. Thanks again and I have learned a great deal from this forum.

Congress!

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 04:06:56 AM »
I found a peanut butter jar that is 4.5”.  You might try going to the supermarket with a bore gauge and see what you can find.  You might get some weird looks especially if you let people know what you are doing but that will be half the fun.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 10:09:36 AM »
I found a peanut butter jar that is 4.5”.  You might try going to the supermarket with a bore gauge and see what you can find.  You might get some weird looks especially if you let people know what you are doing but that will be half the fun.

The 46oz juice cans are a bit small for 4.5", but they work.

If you take a clipboard, calculator and pen into a supermarket you will get the managers personal attention within about 3 minutes - they're EXTREMELY competitive and worry about rivals checking their prices!  How do I know? 

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 12:11:53 PM »
Add a dial caliper to that mix to really confuse them.  (-:
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 12:16:12 PM »
That sounds like good ideas fellas. Take a clipboard/notebook, calculator, writing untensil and calipers/bore gauge to the supermarket or Wal-Mart and just start measuring various objects that would fit with proper windage. The thing with juice cans is that by the time they are empty, you've already got your moneys worth out of them and then recycling them into projectiles would be cheap. ;D Thanks for the great suggestions.

Congress!

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 01:00:53 PM »
55 gallon drums are pretty easy to come by here and full of concrete would make a good projectile. Now...where did I put that 50" Niles lathe?
Michael

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 06:50:35 PM »
That would be neat to see something that large go flying through the air and to feel the thump as the black powder sent it aloft!!

I believe that the practicallity of it is beyond my reach at the moment. Ain't getting rich working for Uncle Sugar.

What bore diameter would that be anyway?

Congress!

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 11:52:23 AM »
I was thinking the popcorn tins you see all over the place during Christmas would make good ammo.  If you wait till after Christmas you can usually find them for a buck or two.  They look to be in the 12”+ range.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 12:04:35 PM »
55 gallon drums are 23.5" dia x 34.5" high (source--McMaster.com).

A gun to launch them would rank up with the biggest ones ever created.  Approximate weight filled with concrete is 1044 lbs.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
55 gallon drums are 23.5" dia x 34.5" high (source--McMaster.com).

A gun to launch them would rank up with the biggest ones ever created.  Approximate weight filled with concrete is 1044 lbs.

1044 lbs  for a 23.5" bore.  Mere target load.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired