Author Topic: hang on  (Read 1572 times)

Offline curdog

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.havehogdogswilltravel.com
hang on
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:26:33 AM »
hang on guys, deer season is just around the corner. anyone getting the itch?
no hog to big for our dogs
-----------------------------
http://www.havehogdogswilltravel.com

Offline Terrill

• www.terrillhoffman.com
Re: hang on
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:06:35 AM »
Lord I like understatements like that!!!!

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 01:36:10 PM »
Do I ever. I go down to the lease and putter, I mean work, around the stand, walk around the area and check out the fresh deer droppings, and checkout he does. I haven't seen any bucks so far this year, but I'm sure they are around.

Soon, soon it will we season.  :)
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
notes
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 06:24:56 PM »
i have been making notes on deer I see crossing rural roads on maps as I drive the country side doing my 9-5 job. I can't wait.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 06:40:02 AM »
Naw no itch partly because my last hunt was only on May 25th and I came home with a nice little Muntjac Buck for the freezer. Roe buck are in season right now which was my intended target but I didn't get the one I wanted so took the Muntjac to help the freezer level. In a couple of weeks Fallow Buck come into season  ;D here in the UK at least 3 species of Deer are in season at any time.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 07:55:46 AM »
 ;DI got the itch. I think I have it all year but it's been very active for the last few weeks. I have found myself at the Bass Pro (outdoor world) about 6 times in the past two weeks. It takes me over an hour to get there (gas prices are crazy) and I really don't need anything (that I can afford anyway). And I know everything the store sells and it's price. I just can't help myself from going, just to have a look.
Also I have been subconsiously driving myself to the local parks and reservoirs taking pictures of the deer.
Another strange thing is I have been eating deer meat like theres no tomorrow. I guess so when the season comes in I'll be all out and have to hunt that much harder. I don't want my wife saying I don't have to go hunting because I still have meat in the frezzer, NOPE that isn't going to work.  

Offline curdog

• GBO Sponsor
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:53:36 AM »
you have got it bad,lol :D

Offline curdog

• GBO Sponsor
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:24:05 PM »
are you going crazy yet???????? i don;t bow hunt so i have longer to ... thank god for hog hunting ;D ;D ;D

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:46:46 PM »
I'm drooling all over the bow section in the new BassPro catalog I just got. I would love to get one of those new bows. I don't bow hunt as much as I used to but I usually stick two a year just to keep me occupied. My real passion is rifle and muzzleloader hunting. I'm planing a trip to rifle range for next week. I took the week off to take my son camping and do some 4 wheeling and shooting of coarse. I can't wait to to hear that .30-06 speak again. I will be throwing a lot of Barnes expanders downrange from my muzzleloader as well. It's almost here

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 01:35:48 AM »
I'm preparing Fall plots right now for general gun season.  While you bow hunters are 'shooin' them out of the woods, I am inviting them to stay a while longer at my place.  I have read every QDM Journal, Am. Hunter, Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, and Am. Rifleman that I can lay my hands on.  I have prowled just about every seed and feed link on the Internet.  I replaced all of the bearings in the tandem disc.  I "invested" in 5 gals. of glyphosate and a sprayer.  I paid a man to clear another 1.5 acres for food plots and spend every weekend on the tractor discing and spryaing, discing and spraying, discing and spraying...that has become the montra to replace fish or cut bait ;D...So, I've got it bad too, but I can wait.  I know it will be a good season regardless of whether the deer participate or not (an I hope they do)!

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:01:53 AM »
Naw no itch partly because my last hunt was only on May 25th and I came home with a nice little Muntjac Buck for the freezer. Roe buck are in season right now which was my intended target but I didn't get the one I wanted so took the Muntjac to help the freezer level. In a couple of weeks Fallow Buck come into season  ;D here in the UK at least 3 species of Deer are in season at any time.

Lucky bum!

The itch has turned into a rash.... My wife even threatened to put one of those anti biting cones on me if I didn't stop practice scratching...  :D
-Davoh

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 02:33:50 PM »
I messed up.  I have an air tight bin that I keep all of my hunting clothes and nick nacks in.  I thought "Season starts in 3 weeks, (09/01  ;) ) I'll go ahead and wash all of my stuff and let it hang on the line for a couple of weeks.  Big mistake.  I opened up that bin and the fall smell hit me.  You know what I'm talking about.  I've been twitchy ever since, and it is getting close enough to bow season that I need to stop scouting in close :o.  I don't know what I'm going to do in the mean time.  Might go to Santee Cooper and do some hog hunting.  17 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 03:00:18 PM »
Started hitting bass pro, gander mountain last week stocking up. My boss lets me set up a target at work so I've been shooting a lot lately. This is one itch that's okay to scratch.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline curdog

• GBO Sponsor
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 08:25:02 AM »
closer, closer.. are we there yet???????????????????????????

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 09:19:15 AM »
I went out to the hunting patch today to look for sign, decide on a new stand site and recharge the salt lick.  I saw two deer and an armadillo.  I heard what was probably another deer (s) but did not see it/them.  From the looks of the field I may be over run with the little armored critters.  They are relatively new to our neck of the woods but seem to be multiplying like rabbits.  We see more of them run over on the road than the possums anymore.  Seeing one reminds me of the story, printed several years ago in a well known hunting magazine, of the fellow down in Texas who live trapped armadillos for about two weeks before deer season.  Then the day before season he spray panted them in iridescent colors and let them go that evening in the vicinity of his best friend’s deer stand.  I don’t expect to see any blaze orange or bright blue ones but it wouldn’t surprise me to see several this year.
RJ

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 04:51:48 PM »
i have had the itch for about a month now, if i am not at work i am either sharpening knives, reading hunting magazines, or trying to wear out the internet looking at cabelas, bass pro and on here. i will be headed to the happy hunting grounds this weekend to start scouting and put a box of shells through the rifle.
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 06:18:13 AM »
I have already packed my backpack and ready to go. Season starts 9/30.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 04:37:50 AM »
yeah i hunt rifle and our season doesnt start until the first week of december, but i am thinking about a muzzleloader next year for an earlier hunt maybe
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 09:57:15 AM »
Good luck to all you guys and gals! Illinois Opener is today-woo-hoo! ;D
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 03:22:50 PM »
I'm about out of meat in the freezer. I am anxious for muzzle loading season to arrive. From there, on to rifle season! Yeah, I'm hanging on...

Offline rihmfire

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 02:44:11 AM »
Our season in florida started a couple of weekends ago...sept. 23
Yeah i got the itch....They're call chiggers..and skeeters...
Cant wait till it gets a little cooler down here!

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 08:24:28 AM »
rihmfire,
We are some server storms in Illinois over opening weekend! maybe you guys will get the cold front! ;D
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com

Offline rihmfire

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 02:21:42 AM »
We were just talking about that ....should be here satuday night..
We hunt 20 miles north of ocala and for some reason it always gets
colder there....Hopefully it will get everything moving....but we have a full
moon coming up.....which means a midday hunt for sure...
Good luck in Ill. ....If you stick one...post a pic or two...

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 12:24:24 AM »
Hi All,

Good luck for your seasons  ;D Looking forward to reading the reports  ;)

Now a slight itch is happening as it looks like I am more than likely that I am going on a trip to Scotland with a friend after Red Deer. He brought himself a place on a syndicate and is taking me as a guest to help out as dragging a Red Deer off the hill is easier for two than one  ;) hopefully we can get a couple so help each other out. However as neither of us have ever been to the place it will be huge learning curve but should be enjoyable none the less.

I now have to decide what to take rifle wise  ;D

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 12:31:42 PM »
Season opened Oct. 1st. Finally getting the bow out this weekend! Man I've been itchy for two months.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?