Author Topic: How to make a nice set of mortar handles  (Read 2889 times)

Offline CU_Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How to make a nice set of mortar handles
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:28:40 PM »
I have the bad habit of leaving most of my mortars without handles.  I finally came up with this relatively easy method for making small scale handles.  They look close to the original and don’t need any special tools to build.

I started with a piece of 1/8" steel but brass would work just as well for something a little showier.  Layout, drill and cut each piece to size.  I used a metal cutting band saw but it could be done by hand.  Finish the edges with a grinder and file them smooth.

Give each end a quarter twist as shown in the picture.  The easiest way I found for doing this is to hold mounting plate in the vice and grip about 3/4” up with an adjustable wrench.  It is a good idea to mark this distance on each handle so you can make them all the same.

Bend each end just below the twist to form a right angle.

Bend just above the twist forming a nice curve.  It may take a few taps with a hammer and some bending to get all the handles to look the same.

These are some finished handles.  The small one is for a golf ball mortar.  The large one is made of 1/4" steel for my 12 pdr coehorn.  Even at 1/4" it bent quite easily without needing to heat it.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: How to make a nice set of mortar handles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:27:09 PM »
CU -

Great handles - genuinely home-made lookin'.

Thanks for the picture sequence on making them too!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline mac_hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:38:04 PM »
Yes CU, I agree with CW. Great looking set of handles. It is always neat to see how ingenious people can be when coming up with variances in design for the same thing.
If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is the opposite of Progress?

Congress!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:00:09 PM »
If you leave the handles off, how do you get your wife to help move them?
:-)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:15:29 PM »
Now linked to the Safe loads and Cannon plans post.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:21:40 PM »
If you leave the handles off, how do you get your wife to help move them?
:-)

That's easy.  On my 4.5" mortar, I drilled an extra hole from side to side near the bottom of the base for an axel.  Slid the axel through and attached temorarily two wheels.  Drilled another hole parallel to the ground aligned under the tube for a 4' long piece of conduit (with a few bends here and there).  Very little weight on the handle end, most of it on the wheels. 

So, I walk first carrying a wooden ammo crate with a bunch of 7-1/2 lb concrete filled 4" pvc pipe secitions and with Darlene following me wheeling the mortar, the other folks at the range understand she means business!

(I did buy her a .357 before I bought her a ring many years ago, just to check this out.)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 01:40:09 AM »
So, you don't have her help you move it, you make her move the entire mortar by herself.

I'll mention that to my wife and see how it goes over with her :-)

I got my 4 year old one of those really heavy duty wagons. The sides fold down to make it a "flatbead" and the handle is removable, revieling a tow hitch underneath so I can even tow it with my tractor. The hard part is just getting it on and off the wagon, which is about 14 inches high. I am guessing the mortar weighs about 180 - 200#.

Your attachable wheels sounds interesting. Maybe i'll weld up a dropped axle with wheels that can be slid under the mortar base.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 06:45:25 AM »
The trick is the long handle which allows you to lift the end so you can slide the wheels underneath.  (-:
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill