Author Topic: Leopould rings did not hold up  (Read 530 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Leopould rings did not hold up
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:11:27 PM »
Bought a Weatherby Accumark in .338-378, also a Night Force scope.  The store where I bought the gun mounted the scope using Leopould bases and rings.  This setup only lasted for seven shots, on the eighth shot the scope came off.  Sheared the screws off on the front base.  The rear ring ripped the lug off that holds it to the base.  Now I'm stuck with no gun for the next two weeks till the gunsmith can drill and tap the holes, and replace everything with heavier equipment.  OH well, I need to work on my .338 Win Mag any way.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Leopould rings did not hold up
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:54:14 AM »
I like the Warne rings myself. I had a set of Leupold rings sheer on my Encore with a 45-70 barrel. Any time I have a heavy recoil gun I have Warne rings.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 05:37:09 AM »
That sounds like some real man recoil you have there..........how much powder does that thing use?

What does the gun smith recommend or what are you going to replace them with?

I've never had that happen to me......the heaviest recoiling caliber I own is a 45.70 which has weaver rings and bases with a Leupold VX III on top.......I'm thinking I'll go back to a ghost ring on the levergun and put the VX III on something else but that's another topic.

The recoil sound "brutal" to me........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 07:13:52 AM »
Since the 338-378 is a necked down 378 Wby mag, recoil is most likely similar depending on the bullet weight, this table shows the .378mag at 71ft/lbs recoil in a 10½lb rifle. Any way you look at it, it has a bunch of recoil!! :o

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/338-378Wby.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »
I'm using 104gr of IMR-7828.  That is the max load in the Nosler manual, and I have no high pressure signs.    Recoil with the factory brake is like a .308.  Not bad at all with the brake.  I have no intentions of shooting it with out the brake.  With my bad back it could lay me up for a couple of months, I don't need that.  I already went through that with a Remington 600 in .350 Rem Mag, that's why it's a wall hanger.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline akpls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:35:57 AM »
Leupold's are the only rings that I have ever had fail for me.  A couple years back a set I had on a .338 WM sheared it's screws.  I switched to Warne and haven't had a problem since.