Author Topic: Sims recoil pad on USH?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Rangeball

• Trade Count: (1)
Sims recoil pad on USH?
« on: July 20, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »
Anyone have the Sims precision fit recoil pad on their USH?

How'd it fit?

How much did it reduce recoil?

Thanks, and Hello :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Sims recoil pad on USH?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 06:48:48 AM »
Welcome to GBO!! Print their template for the 10003 pad for the model 988 and see how it lines up with your stock. You'll have to adjust print settings to get the actual size of the pad correct.

http://limbsaver.com/limbsaver/technical/rptemplates/10003.pdf

I've got a bunch of Limbsaver recoil pads on my heavy kickers, they reduce the felt recoil considerably, IMO, they are the best of the best for recoil control short of adding weight to the stock or using a mercury recoil reducer.

If the prefit pad doesn't fit right, try their grind-to-fit model or slip ons, the small fits all the other stocks that H&R/NEF makes, I leave the grind-to-fit model full in the pad to spread recoil over a larger foot print, just shape the mounting surface and taper the sides. They have complete instructions for the grind-to-fit on their web site.

Tim

http://limbsaver.com/limbsaver/technical/rptemplates.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:38:26 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the info :)

You mentioned a mercury suppressor.  Is that something to replace the stock weight H&R puts in the USH?  Who makes them, and where can I find them?

If I did both, would it be like shooting a bb gun?

;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:57:32 AM »
I've not used a mercury recoil reducer, but they fit in the stock bolt hole, you can also use a lead filled pipe,  a cheap version that works well too, although the mercury movement inside the capsule has a dampening affect without the weight of the lead "dead mule" pipe or lead shot. The 7/8" 16oz model would be the one to use.

Tim

http://www.mpcsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=841
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »
Welcome to the board.

Recoil shouldn't be that bad with a ush because of the weight.

I'm pretty sure WNY Whitetailer uses the mercury recoil supressor.  they have been discussed a good bit though if you do a search.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 04:05:09 AM »
quickdtoo, thanks for the link.  I'll give them a look.

Markus, you're right, the recoil isn't that bad, especially with the 1900 fps Federal Barnes slugs I'm using, but less is always better :)

Plus, I may be loading up some slugs that may have a substantial increase in recoil, and am doing some looking around to get an idea of how to solve a problem that may crop up.  Also I've been trying to search, but the search function won't work for me.  I just noticed in the news box it says the search function is disabled :(

I've left the stock weight bar in my USH.  I have no idea what it ways.  I'll probably go with the limbsaver butt pad and see what that gets me, and consider mercury after that.

Thanks again for the welcome and the info :)

Offline jcchartboy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 04:29:06 PM »
Plus, I may be loading up some slugs that may have a substantial increase in recoil,

A "substantial increase in recoil" directly implies an increase in chamber pressure....keep in mind there is reason the Barnes only go 1900fps...(Because they are probably already loaded very near maximum SAAMI chamber pressure already)..

If you want to reload to velocities beyond SAAMI shotgun specifications...Just buy a Savage 10ml and do it the safe way... ;D

JC

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 07:05:44 PM »
Plus, I may be loading up some slugs that may have a substantial increase in recoil,

A "substantial increase in recoil" directly implies an increase in chamber pressure....keep in mind there is reason the Barnes only go 1900fps...(Because they are probably already loaded very near maximum SAAMI chamber pressure already)..

If you want to reload to velocities beyond SAAMI shotgun specifications...Just buy a Savage 10ml and do it the safe way... ;D

JC

Nah, this was related to the SPW and hammerhead slug combo that Hastings uses.  Apparantly you can shoot this combo safely upwards of 2200 fps, which nets some pretty interesting external ballistics in the calculator :)

If I go that route to test, I have no idea what kind of recoil to expect.  The USH with the Federals isn't bad at all, but adding a $30 Sims pad to make it feel like a 20g would be nice :)

Offline jcchartboy

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 02:54:40 AM »
The USH with the Federals isn't bad at all, but adding a $30 Sims pad to make it feel like a 20g would be nice

Sounds good on paper...unfortunately just doesn't work in reality... :(

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 07:27:26 PM »
You mentioned a mercury suppressor.  Is that something to replace the stock weight H&R puts in the USH?  Who makes them, and where can I find them?

If I did both, would it be like shooting a bb gun?

Hey there Rangeball...Welcome to Graybeard Outdoors...I purchased my Mercury Recoil Reducer from C&H Research in Lewis, KS.  They make the reducers right there in house...A real mom and pop organization.  The reducer was custom cut to completely fill my stock bolt hole with no slop.  I just provided C&H with my measurements and they cut it to fit.  The diameter was a standard size so only the length had to be cut custom.  It reduced the felt recoil a little.  Don't expect miracles out of it.  But, if you combine a Mercury Reducer with a Sims Pad you might be surprised.  But, it will not shoot like a bb gun no matter what you do to it.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 03:30:40 AM »

Not perfect, but serviceable......

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 07:46:08 AM »
Thanks for the pics it helped alot  . Later Tanoose

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »
tanoose,
 Sorry man, Thats the wrong pic!! Thats one off my 500, a REGULAR LAM stock, NOT my USH.  :-[ :-[

Here is the correct pic,

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jwm

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 07:30:31 PM »
Anyone have the Sims precision fit recoil pad on their USH?

How'd it fit?

How much did it reduce recoil?

Thanks, and Hello :)
I mounted one on my USH Deluxe (laminated stock).  Made sure that I had the model # listed on the sizing chart as being for that gun.  The one for the laminated stock H&R was also listed as being a perfect fit on several other unrelated rifles.  I wonder if it actually matched up with the stock contour on one of those other guns because it sure didn't fit mine!  It was so far off in length, width and shape that I took it back to the dealer and showed it to him.  We both assumed that it was mislabeled, and he ordered another one for me.  When that came in a few days later it was the same mismatched shape!

By this time I was pissed off, so I drilled two new pilot holes for the screws (both were totally wrong), and actually wound up sanding the gun stock to get the fit to the point where it didn't quite make me ill just to look at it.  After all that work, it looked okay.

Functionally it is fantastic.  I had experience with the Sims on several other guns, and knew that they worked well, or I never would have jumped through all of those hoops to get it on.  I'm not sure exactly how to describe the results (I'm sure that the factory has scientific proof that the recoil of a .458 Lott is reduced to that of a pellet gun!) but there is no question that these things work well.  In addition to a substantial reduction in recoil, the length of pull of my stock was increased by at least 1/4 inch, which I appreciated.  The appearance, while not exactly classic elegance, is still a big improvement over those hideous pads that H&R and so many other makers use on inexpensive guns.  I HATE ventilated recoil pads.

In short, you may be faced with more fitting than you bargained for after buying a "pre-fit" pad, but the results are very satisfying.

Good luck with your project.

John