Author Topic: 454 Casull or not?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
454 Casull or not?
« on: April 05, 2003, 02:08:31 PM »
I've been drooling over a new Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull for quite a while, and the time to get it is almost here. I've been reading through all the posts I could find about the 454, and am starting to wonder if it is the right gun for me. Stories of wrist pounding recoil, stuck cases, keeping my head low to avoid getting bonked from muzzle flip, and erratic accuracy are making me think about sticking with the 45 LC. Maybe I should get a Redhawk, or Blackhawk in 45 LC instead - something that will  stand up to the heavy performance loads. I'm not planning a trip to Africa or planning on facing any big bears. I like the SRH, but don't want to get in over my head. The 45 LC is my favorite caliber, so maybe a SS Redhawk would be a better choice. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 02:36:50 PM »
daddywpb,
Go ahead and get the SRH in .454. If it turns out to be too much gun you can shoot your 45LC rounds in it. You might find it's more manageable than you think! At least you would have the option of using the more powerful rounds if you like. There is a bit of a Gee Whiz factor here that you wouldn't have with the .45LC.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 03:31:24 PM »
i would advise you a bit different.   i let big-stick-itis get me when i was trying to decide between the 454 and the 44 in a raging bull.   in the end i went big.  i am now wishing i had gone with the 44 mag, and i will tell you why.   first you should understand that i am not the kind of person who likes to have one of each caliber.   i reload in my free time, and i dont have much of that to spare.   i also have no real world need for the extra power of the 454.    the third reason is that i have a levergun in 44 mag and it sure would be nice to be able to make loads for both guns in one shot (less shopping to do,  bullet selection, buying brass, dies,etc.)   but that is just me.   now i should say that the 454 has been a great gun for me with recoil being alot less than the hype would leave you to believe.   and savage is right,  if you do get the srh in 454 and you dont like the 454 yu can shoot 45 colt though it.  i am of the opinion, however, that the srh is one big gun for the 45 colt (when compared to a sbh with a short barrel).   if i were you i would think about if i really needed the power of the 454;  if so, get it.  if not,  pick a nice gun in 44 or 45 colt and you will be well served.   good luck with your decision.

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 04:00:57 PM »
daddywpb,

I guess I would suggest considering 2 questions:

1.  Do you need a pistol with such power?

2.  Is it possible to try it or one like it before buying it?  

I would have to say that I enjoy the Ruger SBH 454.  I've shot by brother's that he got for Alaska and found it to be quite managable.  I've heard that the Raging Bull is even more so.  

I'm trying to remember what loads I shot.  I think the one was 325 grain and the other 360 grain Cor-Bon loads.  I'm not a big fan of recoil (i.e. no 45-70 or 358 JDJ pistols for me) and even I was able shoot the 325 with one hand but I needed 2 hands for the 360s.  

Blessings!

ShootnStr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Wijbrandus

454 Casull or not?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 05:13:04 PM »
I'll be trading in my SRH in .454 soon.  I've only fired about 75 rounds through it, but I've decided that the punishment on my end is simply not for me.

Call me a recoil wuss, but I'm going back to a .44.  I don't need a 3 1/2 pound revolver if all I'm shooting is .45 colt.

~Robert
 Denver, CO
~Robert
 Denver, CO

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 07:00:45 AM »
Based on the information that you provided, I'd stay away from the 454.

You did not mention if you handload or not. If not, the 454 would definately not be a good choice for  mundane shooting.
My choice would be a 44mag in the revolver of your choice, and you have many. The gun will be cheaper, choices more varied,  factory ammo loaded at all levels and sufficient powder for anything that you intend to do and more.
The 45LC is just a "I want it thing". With heavy loads it can duplicate the 44mag but lacks the vast amount of components and factory ammo choices that the 44mag enjoys.
VH

Offline safetysheriff

454 Casull or not?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 01:58:25 PM »
The reading I've done says stay away from the .454 because of the recoil;
and because you aren't writing about hunting Alaskan Brown Bears(are you?).   Ask John Taffin about getting his wrists 'busted-up' with heavy recoil...

The .44 mag'  will produce better ballistics for a given weight and 'shape' of projective (sectional density and downrange velocities), with a wider margin of safety-per the White Laboratories written about by John Linebaugh, and more consistent velocities than will the .45 Long Colt.   Read the articles in Linebaugh's site and note the variance in velocities of the .45 in his Heavyweight Bullets II article.   Also note the fact that the velocities of the  5 1/2 " barreled .45 are very close to what you can read about elsewhere regarding 5 1/2"  .44 mag's.   The use of the 10 1/2"  .44 in Linebaugh's article would seem to be misleading.  Also note the increased charge weights required in the .45 to achieve 'similar' performance.  

While I am not the accomplished gunsmith that Mr. Linebaugh is, and while
I do not question his Christian (from what I've read) intentions, I feel that
his grasp of ballistics is 'biased' in favor of the .45.

The .44 is argueably the best prescription for the vast majority of handgunners.    It is probably the most versatile in handling diverse loads of varying projectiles and velocities of all handguns out there today.

If you handload you'll love the .44 mag'.

Best Regards.
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 05:29:45 PM »
I too have a .44 as well as a .454 and wish I would of just stuck with the .44mag. It's more than I need and the .454 is not only harsh to shoot more than 20 rounds at a time but it;s downright expensive to reload or shoot.
Good luck, Rick :D

Offline Paul H

• Avid Poster
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 09:08:57 AM »
Get the 454, and just load it to 45 levels!  My buddy had a 454 SRH, and loaded at ruger only 45 colt levels, ie 320 gr @ 1300 fps, it was suprisingly mild to shoot, and accurate.

I haven't shot enough of the SRH 454's to comment on accuracy, but my 480 SRH is scary accurate.  It has shot so many different cast bullets into 1" 5 shot 50 yd groups, that I consider 2-3" 50 yd groups as so/so accuracy.  

I've fired a buddies 44 mag Redhawk, and I greatly prefer the Super Redhawk.  Despite the snipes that say the Super Redhawk is bulky, it is actually lighter then the Redhawk.

The 454 doesn't have to be a beast to shoot if you load it down.  With my 480, my most used load is a 310 gr cast over 9.7 gr unique for 950 fps.  It is not a recoil less load, but is mild enough to shoot all day long.  Milder yet are 400 gr cast over 7 gr unique for 700 fps.

The best thing about big guns is they can always be loaded down to be smaller guns, but small guns are always smaller guns.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 08:36:23 AM »
I had the same problem adn went with the 454 in raging bull though. I was able to shoot teh SRH and the RB before I bought them. RB has less recoil and more noise.
Try to shoot both teh 44 and 454.
cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline 1badmagnum

• http://pub64.ezboard.com/fthedeserteaglefrm1
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 07:18:03 PM »
I've got a taurus raging bull in 454 and have shot freedom arms with no ill feelings after shooting 100 rounds.the redhawk should function well since its in the same class of size and weight.I may just be used to the recoil,but none of my big bores including my desert eagle,are painful to shoot.smaller,shorter barreled pistols and sig semi autos are the most painful and uncomfortable for me to shoot.
maybe a rental session at the range is in order :)

Offline Questor

454 Casull or not?
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 06:49:05 AM »
Is it the caliber or the gun that you're fond of?  If it were the caliber, I'd pick the Taurus raging bull with the 6 1/2" barrel instead of the Ruger.  It's much better ergonomically and better as a platform for shooting hard recoiling cartridges. The grips and the porting do much to reduce the recoil.

If it's the gun you're fond of, you're better off with a 44 magnum or 45LC.  I haven't fired a Ruger 454 but it is consistently characterized as having viscious recoil.  The grips are a bad joke, and it's not ported. Your wrist bones get to take the full force.
Safety first

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2003, 02:33:57 PM »
I have a Raging Bull in .454 and it shoots great.Not much recoil but a little noisie.Have had several 44-mags. great guns.My wife shoots my .454 and so does my 13 year old son.My reloads are a little mild about 1479 fps with 300 gr.Speers atough bullet for a cheap one.I have hotter loads for hunting and protection.Good luck.
I didn''t do it and whoever said I did is lieing!!

Offline willis5

• Contributor
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2003, 03:29:48 PM »
You can't go wrong with a 44 mag though... Raging Bull has a great one...
Cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
454 Casull or not?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2003, 03:04:52 AM »
I agree the 44-mag is a great gun.And here in the lower 48 it will work just fine in most cases.When i got my .454 we were thinking of moving to Alaska and wanted a little more ump.We also for some reason are recieveing some good and bad bears from Yelowstone and other places whether we want them or not.The Selway Bitteroot is getting replants for trial on Grizzleys.I have seen three total in my 55 years here in Idaho.But as strange as it may seem my closest call was a moose that was actully charging during the rut when i was scouting and bugleing for elk prior to opening day.Had no sidearm at that time but the dog finally showed up after chaseing squirlls and saved my old but.I can also hunt elk or what ever with the .454 with alittle more confidence and quite a bit more power.
I didn''t do it and whoever said I did is lieing!!