Author Topic: 308 Handi VS. Custom Rem. 30/06 : A friendly contest.  (Read 1851 times)

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
308 Handi VS. Custom Rem. 30/06 : A friendly contest.
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:21:09 AM »
Hello from Georgia,

A good friend recently got his Remington 30/06 back from the gunsmith after having it bedded, recrowned, and a new trigger installed. He called to tell me that he had sighted it in at a local public range and would like to bring it to my private 500 yard range to shoot it. He brought it over last weekend along with his "custom" ammo, shooting bags, and new spotting scope. We were set up for a nice afternoon of shooting.  He also mentioned that since he got this "Rem. Shooter" back that he could now outshoot my " old raggedy cheap single shoot". Well I have never been a confrontational type person but I also know that my Handi will outshoot most rifles that will ever come to my range, so I opened my locker and brought my "Little Buddy" out into the light.

After a bit of preperation and hanging some nice new targets the shooting cominced. The first 5 shot group he shot was a good group, around 1 1/4 inches. He said that he needed to settle down and that the rifle was able to shoot groups half that size. I sat down at the bench and shot my first group which was measured with his caliper to the tune of 1 1/8 inch. He then fired a second 3 shot group that was a touch over an inch which to me is quite acceptable for a hunting rifle. My second group was AWESOME !!!!!
we measured it to be 3/4 of an inch.

I knew that my rifle was being fed some match loads that had already proven to be deadly accurate in the past so I was not a bit surprised. There was a bit of grumbling coming from his way. Scope this, and ammo that, and rest the other. Not being done yet, I suggested we fire a few rounds out at the 300 yard gong which is a quite generous 8" diameter. Since I have been shooting this target for sometime and have figured out the mil-dot system, it was as simple as holding over correctly and " ringing the bell".
We traded shots for another 5 shot group and after 2 shots he finally rang it. I hit 4 out of 5 and only missed the last one because I was trying to be a wise guy and cut the chain down and deny him his last shot which he actually hit.

Without any trashtalking(which was totally unneccesary), I invited him to come back again. He humbly thanked me for the free range time and drove off. I sat there on the range for a while just petting my Handi, and talking to it. I know this rifle very well and feel sure that I can shoot with anyone, anytime with any type rifle on the planet. I admit that there are many rifles that will shoot smaller groups, and at longer ranges, but for the money some of these guys have in their guns, I can be a lot happier for a fraction of the cost. These Handis may not be recognized as pretty, or elegant but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the gunholder and I think these simple single shots are GORGEOUS !!!
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: 308 Handi VS. Custom Rem. 30/06 : A friendly contest.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 09:53:43 AM »
Good Evening

First of all, it sure seems rude for a man to accept your hospitality & privilege to shoot at your range & then put down your rifle.  ::)   It is good that you humbled him.

Like you said, some guns may outgroup the Handi, but some Handi's will sure shoot & they offer
about as much bang for the buck that I am aware of. It could be that this guy has a bad barrel, but
with the work he had done, his rifle should do better.

I hear that the throats on a 308 Handi are quite long, so did you seat your bullets out a good ways
or are you shooting Factory Match ammo?
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:16:58 AM »
Hello from Georgia,

The laods I have found to be most accurate are some match handloads using match brass, match primers, Varget powder and Sierra 168 gr. Matchking JHPBT bullets loaded a few grains under max load. I do actually press them just a tad longer than the advertised COL but they are still a bit behind the lands. It took me loading about eight or nine completely different combinations before I found the current "magical load". It was a quest well spent since I now know without a doubt that when I break open this rifle and feed it a round, I can hit where I am aiming. By the way, I am using one of the Mueller Tactical Mil-dit scopes that is just as good a deal in optics as the Handi is in rifles. This combination can be had for less than a lot of guys pay for either gun or scope.

Have a good day.

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 12:40:36 AM »
"I sat there on the range for a while just petting my Handi, and talking to it."  BwahAhahahahahaha!  I had a mental picture of your wife/significant other peering out the window of the house, shaking her head ruefully, as she watched you gently stroking and whispering sweet nothings to your rifle.

Anyway.  Interesting that your friend felt he had to send his rifle to a gunsmith for hundreds of dollars of work for it to become competetive with your Handi. Hmm.

Great shooting and congrats on your success with the Handi.

EVOC ONE

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 12:48:58 AM »
GeorgiaDave if ya fit a gunstocksinc stock set on the handie with with rollover cheek-piece andTarget/Varmint forend in a nice Fiddle-back Maple or a nice Laminate .you have as good a looking rifle
as you can get,and in a sence a custom .
bernie :D

if its feral its in peril

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 05:28:44 PM »
Georgia Dave, thanks for the load info & I am looking at getting the 4X16 Mil-Dot Tactical Mueller soon.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.