Author Topic: Whitworth Rifle (3in-50 Barrel)  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Whitworth Rifle (3in-50 Barrel)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
Windpower?

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »
Hamsters?   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 02:19:29 AM »
Boom J, here you go.

Max

Max

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 02:50:53 AM »
There was only one known 3pdr breech-loader imported into the states and its location is unknown.

Have photos of that one, will have to locate them though.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:26 AM »
Here's the 3-pdr. Whitworth, in testing at Liverpool, ca. 1857, then as it appears in the US on display stand, not a proper carriage.  It took me about 2 years to get the breech open, working a few minutes a day with heat, penetrants, and impact.  The 2nd image is one I used for the article I put in the Artilleryman ca. 1986, title "Unusual Gun in Virginia."

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 06:58:15 AM »
Thanks to both Max & Allen for posting photos of the Krupp cannon. Max; was that a functional model?

"It took me about 2 years to get the breech open, working a few minutes a day with heat, penetrants, and impact."

Cannonmn: Would you please elaborate upon this just a little bit - was it your cannon - were you working on it for someone else - where is the cannon now ................?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 07:18:26 AM »
Boom J, It was a functional model down to the last detail.
Max

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 07:30:32 AM »
Cannonmn: Would you please elaborate upon this just a little bit - was it your cannon - were you working on it for someone else - where is the cannon now ................?

It is mine.  It is in the Washington DC area.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 05:17:49 PM »
Windpower?
  Much more interesting then that , enough to keep me going for three years. I am working with someone so I can't really go to much into it yet . Best I did so far with a 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with 4:10 gears is 100miles for $6.00, not to bad.  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »

It is mine.  It is in the Washington DC area.

What's the condition of the hexagonal bore, and have you ever contemplated firing a Whitworth bolt out of it?

BTW, I copied and Google translated the French book "Artillerie Pratique," thanks for this find. I guess the "plain text" allows the use of the translator, but it's unfortunate that whatever computer code transforms the photographed real text into the plain text, that it has errors that occur that are evidently inherent in the process. I suppose I shouldn't complain, because it seems like the Google Translator does a pretty good job; we're getting spoiled, and the outcome is that we're beginnig to expect too much from these electronic wonders.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »
What's the condition of the hexagonal bore, and have you ever contemplated firing a Whitworth bolt out of it?

It is still a hexagon, roughly, I think Whitworth called it polygonal, not sure.  I'm not going to fire this one, the value as an historical object is too high for that, can't risk damage.

I have that B/L repro Whitworth made with a 40MM gov't barrel, breech part is close to that of the CW 2.75 in. Whitworths, that I can shoot if I feel I need to shoot something like that.  I posted pix about 6 mos or more ago.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 07:46:57 PM »
Cannonmn,
I didn't think that it was very probable that you had fired it, or planned to someday, but it really would be something special to have an original Whitworth in good condition, (like the small naval gun I posted) and be able to fire some well-made reproduction bolts out of it, to witness how accurate these guns actually were/are.

Thanks for the answer, Max. That's an excellent model, and by the looks of objects in the backround of the photo, that was an interesting show in Belgium.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
to witness how accurate these guns actually were/are.

You probably saw the 2.75-inch Whitworth b/l USN test firing reports I put on here maybe 9 mos ago.  They showed what appeared to be less accuracy than could be achieved with, say, the 3" ordnance rifle.  The accuracy got quite bad over about 1000 yards as I recall.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »
No, I don't remember seeing the reports. Then how did the reputation for incredible accuracy out to two and three miles, manage to develope from peoples accounts made at that time in history, or is it a myth?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
Here is the same info, which was easier for me to relocate than posts on this board.  I thought it was pretty good accuracy too but was told by some current long range cannon shooters that it wasn't impressive.  I don't do any long-range shooting myself so have nothing to compare it to:

http://www.n-ssa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10898

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2009, 09:46:25 PM »
     Can't say precisely how accurate those three 12 pdr. Whitworth rifles were in Col. Lamb's 'Flying Battery' were, but from all accounts of the Fort's operations that we have read, every time they came boiling out of Fort Fisher, North Carolina, raced down the beach and whirled into line behind the sand dunes, the closest ships of the Federal Navy's Blockading Squadron at about a mile and a half would weigh anchor immediately and steam purposefully out to three or four miles!  The Captains of those ships were not foolish or afraid, they were simply prudent and respectful of the rebel gun's range and accuracy and some had learned the hard way that the silly, warbling, lawn dart-looking, projectile could severely damage their ship's rigging, masts, boilers and sailors.

Take a good look at that last 2,000 yard target.  All of a Civil War Frigate's vitals would be covered by a target three times as big.  Those guns were accurate enough to force development of Federal Navy defensive tactics!  What more do you want?  The maximum range of the 3" Ordnance rifle wasn't any 10,000 yards either.

FYI,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »
The maximum range of the 3" Ordnance rifle wasn't any 10,000 yards either.

It might have been if they were mounted such that they could achieve the necessary elevation.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2009, 10:25:23 PM »
....that the silly, warbling, lawn dart-looking, projectile could severely damage their ship's rigging, masts, boilers and sailors.

I was just going to say that this....

....looks like it should be about as accurate as one of Dan's venison sausages.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 07:22:18 AM »
Gettysburg Artillery Part 7 With Licensed Battlefield Guide George Newton

Whitworth 2.75-inch Cannons