Author Topic: recticle suggestions  (Read 351 times)

Offline koivu

• Trade Count: (0)
recticle suggestions
« on: July 25, 2006, 05:54:55 AM »
I have a Leopold Var II 3X9 with fine crosshairs (it came with a used rifle).  I'm going to be sending it away to have a new recticle put is since with my eyes fine crosshairs don't cut it in the bush.  The scope is on a  Remington 7X57 that I'll be using for white tail and mule deer in British Columbia.  I was thinking about putting in heavy duplex but one of the guys I know raves about his German # 4 recticle.  I have regular duplex on my other high power rifle.  Any thoughts on this.  The big posts and large gap on the # 4 just look a bit strange to me.  Thanks.

Offline flintlock

Re: recticle suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 06:22:12 AM »
I put the Heavy Duplex on my Knight Disc about 4 years ago...Used it one year and sent my VX-II off my Ruger .243 and had it put on it as well...I like it...the standard duplex seems a little fine to me, especially during low light conditions...Best I can tell the crosshair covers about 3/4 inch at 100 yards...So it works well on a deer rifle....I believe it cost $80 for Leupold to change....Good Luck

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
heavy
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »
I bought a new Leopold with the heavy reticle last year. Put it on my 308 semi for WI whitetail. I have used a number of various scopes over the years and I believe this is the very best. The heavy reticle aids in rapid target acquisition, which can be critical in a hunting scenario. I made some fast shots on deer last year and credit the scope to some of my success. This is real field experience with 3 deer in the freezer. Hope this helps in your decision.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline slab12

Re: recticle suggestions
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:44:48 PM »
I now use only the #4 German reticle on my hunting rifles. always had duplex before but I bought a Meopta 3-12-40 and fell in love with the scope and reticle, so much so that I now have 6 of them. I mostly hunt fox and the #4 just seems to work for me in very low light conditions.