Author Topic: Mystery dies Pic I hope. Swag o matic??  (Read 1855 times)

Offline JBMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Mystery dies Pic I hope. Swag o matic??
« on: July 25, 2006, 03:58:52 PM »
I put this up as a new thread in case I blow the pic insertion.  here goes.  the die on it's side is the body.  the top punch is pointing up at the lens.  both dies have holes for locking set screws and both are marked CH  the top punch just fits inside the larger die and will slide in a bit but not far.  It is threaded on the other end to take a push rod I think.  here goes.

thanks for any help in id.

JB

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
Re: Mystery dies Pic I hope. Swag o matic??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:27:14 PM »
Well it looks like about two dozen have looked at this and have had no hits.  Can any of you tell me if these are NOT for the Swag-o-matic?  I have a book that shows that press but I can not tell from the picture if it can tell these would fit it.  I do not think so.   These look like they fit into a sleev e that fits into a press.  I can't find much info on the products of the original CH company before the founder died, when it built almost everything...  Any historians in the members?  JB

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:25:31 PM »
Solved..... they are Swag-o-matic dies as per the original instruction manual I found at cast pics
http://www.castpics.net/RandD/swage_o_matic/swage_o_matic.htm

This shows them as I see them and it looks like I will need to hunt one down on ebay.  JB

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:59:12 PM »
JB,

That is the bottom set, do you have the top set too? I had to dig out mine to look at it, but that is what it goes to.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »
I guess I don't understand these dies.  They fit together and with the top punch inserted in the bottom piece and a jacket with lead core inserted from the bottom and compressed with a ram it looks like a fully formed bullet would be the result. You are saying there are other dies besides a sizer and top form?  I guess I have nothing and I don't understand the machine. 

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:33:24 PM »
Greg, is what I have part D and F as show in the instruction sheet?  the other parts shown seem to be part of the press.  Please advise. 

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »
Greg, is what I have part D and F as show in the instruction sheet?  the other parts shown seem to be part of the press.  Please advise. 

OK, Those parts (D and F) are the bottom section of the die, there is the top section of the die (A and B), the bullet is formed between them as it is squeezed under pressure. I hope that makes sense.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 12:45:17 PM »
Isn't A and B a part of the Press, would you not change out the two die pieces and put others into the same support body and use the same support bolt.  I may have the B part from some other odd equipment I bought.  Does the bolt screw into the support body or just into the top punch and slide in the body.  the pic shows a long bolt with only the bottom 1/4 threaded.  Perhaps you can post some pics as well?  Thanks for your help.  JB

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 07:07:22 PM »
JB,

I will try to get the camera working at the house. The B die has that rod in it that has the nose shape of the bullet in it, but the B die is the top section, at least on mine I think. It has been awhile since I had it out, but I will get it out in the morning when I get home from work.

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline KSR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »
This was good timing for me, I just bought a set of .4290 and .454 CH Swag-O-Matic dies yesterday and was trying to find out
what press they go to. I will have to go back to the gunshop I got these at and see if the press is there also after seeing a pic
of it I think it was too. I have parts d f and g for the .429 and a d f g h n p with the .454. Mine are swc 1/2 jacket dies.

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 02:38:22 AM »
KSR drop me an email if you get the press as I have found one as well, we can commiserate as we get them into service. I have a press comming that I won on ebay and it has a die in it.  I am hoping I can change out the inserts for the parts I have shown above.  So now I am digging through my library for older books that have info on this system.  I think it is long out of favor as other stuff seems be the game de jur.    jboconnell@gmail.com

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 03:56:10 AM »
KSR drop me an email if you get the press as I have found one as well, we can commiserate as we get them into service. I have a press comming that I won on ebay and it has a die in it.  I am hoping I can change out the inserts for the parts I have shown above.  So now I am digging through my library for older books that have info on this system.  I think it is long out of favor as other stuff seems be the game de jur.    jboconnell@gmail.com

JB,

I got my camera working this week, I took some pictures and I will send them to your gmail account.

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline KSR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 04:26:04 AM »
I will let you know JB. I will try to stop by on Monday and check on the press. I would be interested in what ever information
you find out about this type of press also. By the way if the G Ejector Punch on the press you bought is the wrong size for
the die you have let me know. I could make an ejector punch pretty easy on the lathe.

Have you ever done any swaging yourself? This will be my first try at it at home. ( I used to work for Sierra Bullets )