Author Topic: CA X3A, I need info, thanks.  (Read 1199 times)

Offline TCBrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
CA X3A, I need info, thanks.
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:09:02 AM »
Hey guys,
I have hunted in CA for years, but this year my buddy and I were drawn for the very good X3A tag. I applied for the tag knowing the numbers, but not he area. I will of course try to scout as much as possible, but any info from you guys that are familiar with the area would be of great help. I have hunted Antelope to the east of the zone in X3B, but never been in X3A other than driving through. We will be staying at a Motel in Aluras for the entire season, that will be our base camp. We have 2 4x4 trucks, so we can get into some rough country and we are both willing to hike.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
Re: CA X3A, I need info, thanks.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:47:24 AM »
Brian,
You might have a tough time getting info b/c

1) How many guys on here live in or know the area welll
2) Of those that know the area most probably don't want to expose their honey holes

Contact a local DFG Biologist and pick their brain.  They should be able to give you a good starting point and that combined with topo's you can formulate a plan for scouting and general season.

Good luck. Im envious since I'm stuck in D3-5 this year.

Offline TCBrian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »
Yeah, I know info will be tough to come by, but since tags are so limited I though maybe someone would help out. It is not like I will ever get that tag again. I am researching guides right now as well and have already picked through the DFGs info and lots of other info. I think the total number of tags for the zone this year were around 160 or so.

Let me restate the question. If anyone that is familiar with the zone can give us a starting point. (By Personal message preferably), I would appreciate it. I am putting all the info together, along with the limited scouting we will be able to do to put together a game plan.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 05:26:25 PM »
I have not been over there in a bunch of years.  Here is a link to the F&G Zone Map, you might want to get a Modoc National Forest Map and a BLM map for that area.  I believe BLM has offices in Sacramento, Redding, and Susanville.  Have a good hunt.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/deer/maps/x3a_300.pdf      They also sell a Modoc County Map which is a combined BLM, FS, and Refuge Map.  Looks like a better deal. 

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/modoc/maps/index.shtml
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.