Author Topic: can i shoot these in my Huntsman ML?  (Read 704 times)

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
can i shoot these in my Huntsman ML?
« on: July 28, 2006, 05:55:49 AM »
I looked at the sabots MMP sells and it says to use 44mag pistol bullets that measure .429-.430 in their green sabots.  So tonight my friend gave me this box of 44 mag bullets.  They look to be .430 in my micrometer.  Could I use these in the green sabots for at least target practice?  I would think that they might not open up at all like a FMJ which I would think would be bad for hunting. Could i use them to hunt with? 

Offline Smokin Joe

Re: can i shoot these in my Huntsman ML?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 07:54:46 AM »
Yes, you can. The only problem might be a little accuracy change due to the rifle's twist. Also, you might be surprised re: hunting with them.........almost, if not all big game in North America has been downed with a Keith-style .44 semiwadcutter. They're a good killer.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 08:51:46 AM »
Almost forgot; I would remove the lube with solvent before loading 'em; it might affect the sabot release.

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »
Do you have any suggestions as to what you would use to remove the lube?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 05:59:23 AM »
I use lighter fluid. Some guys use charcoal lighter fluid. Some use gasoline (outside....no smoking).

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 08:55:30 AM »
Yes you can use them and yes DO clean the lube off. I use Coleman Fuel; poor bullets into a coffee an and cover with fuel. Let sit for several hours and then swish around and dump off fuel and residue. You might have to do a rinse with more fuel here. Dump the bullets out on an old towel, spread out and let air dry (in the Sun makes it quick). I used some commercial 250 gr SWC .452s in my TC Blk Mtn Magnum .50 with Knight black sabots. With FFG 777 I pushed them to 1700 fps with 2-3 MOA (5 shots with out cleaning) at 100 yards. That was about max velocity before accuracy deteriorated. That would be death and destruction for a hunting load. I was going to hunt deer that load, except I'd cast my own bullets with a Lyman Keith SWC, but Oregon outlawed the use of sabots.

Larry Gibson

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 03:22:49 PM »
my inline will shoot lyman 300 swc and 250 devestator hps into 2 inches at 100 and do a great job on deer. I do load them without lube or gas checks though.
blue lives matter

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:29:19 PM »
Best way I've found to remove lube is line a cookie sheet with Al foil and paper towels, cover with bullets, bake at 200-250F in the oven until the lube is gone. You do them all at once and then just throw away the towels that is soaked in lube. Or use them for fire starters.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."