Author Topic: New Shotgun for deer hunting  (Read 563 times)

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New Shotgun for deer hunting
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:46:12 AM »
I need to buy my daughter a new shotgun for our slug season.  Last year she shot a single shot 20 guage without sights and I want to upgrade her to a gun with sights.  I don't want to sink alot of cash into this gun incase she only hunts a couple years.   I shoot an Ithica 37 Deerslayer and love it. Do you have any ideas for guns I should look at?

Offline TCBrian

• Avid Poster
Re: New Shotgun for deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:58:45 AM »
Do they sell a rifled slug barrel for that gun with sights? That would save the hassle of buying a new gun all together. If not there are so many options depending on price. What about an Encore with a 12 gauge slug barrel. You could buy other barrels in the future. What type of price range are you looking at?

Good hunting,
Brian

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »
Ithica 20 ga, Mossburg 20 ga youth or H&R slug with sights.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »
With the expressed intention of spending someones elses money. Think long and hard about buying equipment for your daughter that is less than good. She will have it forever and hopefully will enjoy hunting with it for many years to come. However if you get her a clunker you run the risk of an unsuccesful hunt and disappointing experience.

longwalker   

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 02:32:35 PM »
Don't forget a Remington 870 20 gauge youth model.  That may serve her for the rest of her life.  She will be grateful!  Good for you for taking your kid hunting!

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »
Charlie...This might be a little off base, but thought I'd suggest...Do you have a muzzleloader that she could use??? Loaded with 65 grs Pyrodex and a Hornady 240grain .44 caliber bullet, and you are good to go...She could practice with 50 grains before the season, and you could bump up the charge to 65grs when its time to hunt....

Just a thought....

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »
I have to second what KK posted. The Remington 870 20 gauge youth model is a great slug gun. My son has one and he is 18 and still uses it. I think they make a great stand or blind gun, short and easy to carry around even when you are older.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline doegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 04:12:51 PM »
I would not get your daughter another single shot or pump gun...  The recoil is atrocious, especially shooting slugs.  It's a good way to turn her off from practicing and hunting altogether.  I would opt instead for a used remington 1100 with a slug barrel.  Take her and the gun to a gunsmith and have the stock cut down to fit.  A cheekpiece is a good idea, as well. I have the leather ones that lace down on my 870, 11-87, and Encore muzzleloader.
Of course, you could follow Flintlock's suggestion and get her a muzzleloader.  Lighter recoil, way more accurate, better ballistics,  and really not much more expenditure than a shotgun and slugs.  I'm still kicking myself for not getting into blackpowder sooner than I did.  It's not at all hard to learn and it's only as esoteric as you want it to be. :)