Author Topic: Repost of much earlier pix of bending trunion straps  (Read 7099 times)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: Repost of much earlier pix of bending trunion straps
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »
I have been cutting a piece of pipe of the same diameter as the trunnion . 

Then weld a piece of steel on either side.

Followed by welding a piece of round stock on the ends to finish the cap.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
Rich,

I also remembered your way of making cap-squares, and I found your original thread, but all your photos are gone. I still admire the way you came up with for making them, especially the round stock welded on the ends to finish them off.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 12:54:40 AM »
We could use another set of pix; that would give 3 ways of doing it - 4 if you add casting.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 01:39:22 AM »
Thats right Cat, now that you mention it, there was a thread with photos on casting caps out of brass or bronze, it may have been posted by Wes. I can't recall the topic being opened by any of the machinists on the board, but someone here might also have milled a pair out of solid stock, that would make 5 different ways of manufacturing cap-squares.

Dom, how do you make your cap-squares?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 02:20:02 AM »
Here is a cast cap square along with it's two piece pattern.

Max
Max

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 02:27:08 AM »
that one is really beautiful
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »
Max,

Another superb example of your casting skills, but you may be like me, (although your work is on a much higher level) in that you also evidently don't like the stop and start again routine that it must take to record a photo document of the process of working on a project. If you ever do record the process I can guarantee you that there will be at least one rapt viewer in the audience.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
Wes's Post on Trunnion caps (Square caps) was to build a Trunnion Bar. Then cast it. Then slice them by width needed ., face them together and machine out the center for your given diameter. Here is the link
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,100818.0.html

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »
Thanks Tropico,

I found that one, and it shows the same cast piece, but this is the thread I was thinking of. This one goes on to show a link to George's bronze half scale Mt. Howitzer. I thought there was a whole thread devoted to just the cap-squares in detail, but I guess not.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,92784.0.html

I also found a thread by Powder keg from 2005 (all the photos are gone) that shows he also had the idea to make a press jig to form the cap-squares, like in MikeR C's thread.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »
Glad I already have this post already linked into the safe loads and cannons plans sticky at the top of the board.  Some good stuff in hear.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »
Glad I already have this post already linked into the safe loads and cannons plans sticky at the top of the board.  Some good stuff in hear.

DD/Cat, when a thread is moved to the stickies are the photos then locked in or can they still be lost?

Offline Double D

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 04:41:32 AM »
The photo's posted are tied to the photohosting site you post from.  Making them stickies has nothing to with whether they show or not.

There several reason pictures no longer show. 

If you had a subscription photo hosting site and you let your subscription lapse, pictures will no longer show.

Some sites, especially free sites have bandwidth restrictions.  Once you exceed your bandwidth your pictures won't show until you next allocated period.   

Another reason the pictures might not show, the photo hosting site either folds.  This has happened with several of the free sites and I have lost pictures on them.

The photo hosting site changes format.  Photobucket changed format a couple of years ago and not all pictures could reformatted. I lost some there.

I'm not sure about the pictures you direct upload from your computer to the GBO.  I believe those are stored with in the board software.

Everyone here on this forum has a free photohosting site at www.myhostedpic.com courtesy of GBO.  I have some pictures posted there. Here is my account Summary For DoubleD (LitePlan): Bandwidth Used: 72% (356.74mb of 500mb). Space Used: 7% (3.23mb of 50mb). Images Uploaded: 59 of unlimited. Because of the great number of pictures and videos I post I don't use this account much as my bandwith goes to fast.

I have a subscription site at www.fototime.com that I have had since 2001. I pay $24 a year for that account.  The account summary there is: Bandwidth Used: 85% (17Gb of 20 Gb). Space Used: 15% (616.56 MB of 4Gb). Images Uploaded: 3448 of unlimited. Because I am so heavily into the Fototime site, it's not cost effective to subscribe to extra storage space or greater bandwidth  with Myhostedpics.com

If I were to let that subscription expire you will see the internet flicker.  If I were to change photo accounts, in order to keep all those pictures alive I would have find each and every one of them where I posted them and repost new  links to them.  Good luck. 

This review has been an eye opener for me.  Those cute little video clips suck the band width.  I also noticed one of my albums has an excessive amount of views for the pictures I have in there.  I think this is because some one has copied one of my pictures and is using it.  I may have loaned the link to someone to use.  I'll have to research that.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »
sorry if Im comming with a stupid question here , but why dont you store your pictures in your own computer ??
I cant understand why it should be better to have them at any other place that you cant control .
what about if such an company went bankrupsy, billions of pictures would dissapear for people .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »
sorry if Im comming with a stupid question here , but why dont you store your pictures in your own computer ??
I cant understand why it should be better to have them at any other place that you cant control .
what about if such an company went bankrupsy, billions of pictures would dissapear for people .

Dan,

Yes of course you keep the original pictures on your own machine.  But in order for them to be visable on the internet they have to accessible on the internet.  You would have to have you computer connected all the time to the internet. If you did that your computer would quickly bog down as it wouldn't have the bandwidth to cope with the traffic to view pictures and do your email or talk on GBO.  And of course when you weren't logged on to the internet then no one would be able to see your pictures until you logged back on. 

If you had your own website or server you could lodge your pictures there and link them to the posts here and they would be visable. 

There already been failures of these hosting sites and photo's have been lost. I have lost posted pictures, but the originals are safe and sound on my computer HD and the stacks of back up disks I have.  Fototime.com also will sell me a disk with all my pictures posted on Fototime.  I try to buy this disk once a year.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
The photo's posted are tied to the photohosting site you post from.  Making them stickies has nothing to with whether they show or not.

I'm not sure about the pictures you direct upload from your computer to the GBO.  I believe those are stored with in the board software.

Thanks DD,

I didn't think the photos would be permanent just because they were put on the stickies list, I thought that maybe there was something you did with the pics code that would lock them in when you moved them there.
I've never tried the direct method of loading photos to the board without using a hosting site; I think that next time I'm posting pics I'll give it a try.
When I was searching Powder kegs posts I found one from 06 where I posted some photos of a 10gauge signal gun that he was interested in, and all the photos have vanished. I don't think I deleted them, and I don't remember ever being notified by "My hosted Pics" that I went over my limit. It sure would be a plus if there were some way to post the pics and be certain that they'd remain there.

Offline Double D

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 06:35:16 PM »
Has my Hosted picture been around that long? Ypou won't get notifed that you exceeded your bandwidth, you picture just won't show for the rest of the month.

I don't use the direct up load method very often...just when I am in a hurry.  I prefer linking and posting a full size picture. 
You can see so much more detail right now and you don't have to click on links that open and block text so you can't read.

On the other hand direct upload is less labor intensive for making posts and probably easier for those less computer oriented.

Direct upload gave me some problems when I worked on the calendar poll, but I worked around it.

I would rather see a guy do a direct upload and get his pictures posted, than not post pictures at all.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:54 PM »

I do both.  Used a free site that went belly up.  Now use the direct upload to GBO.  I live in the now and immediate future.  That means I don't put a lot of time in the past (organizing renaming and filing pictures).  So when a pix gets lost it takes some time to search it out.  Now I find that my 160mb HDD is dead.  Hmmm. Lots of images gone forever.  OK, there's a loss, but since I live in now and immediate future not too great a loss.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2009, 01:22:01 AM »
 It's fairly easy to make formed parts out of thin material using very simple tools.

I bent up this bbl band (original at left) around a piece of 1" round stock held in a vise, and a pair of pliers.

I made this trigger guard using similar highly scientific methods :D

Simple dies can be made out of plastic, wood, aluminim, etc to form parts using a vise, arbor press, or even a mill or drill press quill to apply pressure.

If you need any kind of similar part, try it! It's a lot of fun, and a lot more forgiving than machining. If it aint bent right the first time, just tweak it back straight and try again ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:18 AM »
Has my Hosted picture been around that long?

Yes, their service has been offered here since sometime in 06, I just checked the thread again, and the date of my post is 9/29/06. "My Hosted Pics" is the first photo hosting service I ever used, and it's the only one I had for at least a year after I registered with them.

Offline Double D

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 11:16:40 AM »
Actually it was a rhetorical question...

Do the pictures show now?  Are the pictures still in your myhostedpictures  account.  Give me a link to the post and I'll take a look.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
Actually it was a rhetorical question...

Do the pictures show now?  Are the pictures still in your myhostedpictures  account.  Give me a link to the post and I'll take a look.

It's unusual that that got by me, I'm usually pretty good about catching those, it could be that I've got a short in one of my "rhetorical question antennae". I'm sorry DD, I literally couldn't pass this up, it was like you put a bowl of sugar water in front of a bumble bee, I had no power to resist. ;)

Those pics are no longer on my MHP account, but there are pics still there, and my account is still active. I had to switch to Photobucket because I couldn't load the pics from my new camera on to My Hosted Pics. The Olympus has a high image size setting and MHP wouldn't accept them.

I just copied/pasted the pics back on the post using MHP.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,99298.0.html