Author Topic: dry firing  (Read 2020 times)

Offline mhurley

• Trade Count: (0)
dry firing
« on: August 08, 2006, 05:46:10 AM »
Hey everyone,

just picked up a ruger p89  9mm semi,   can these be dry fired?  it doesnt' say in the manual as far as i can see.

thanx in advance

mike

Offline Questor

Re: dry firing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:30:38 AM »
If in doubt, call Ruger.
Safety first

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:43 PM »
If in doubt, call Ruger.

Yep, give Ruger a call.  The CS is excellent.  I had a P94 and dry fired it all the time.  I seldom sell guns, but I sold this one to a young guy in the office that I got interested in shooting.  He is now going to buy  my P22 for his wife to learn to shoot.  We are friends so it is like selling in the family I guess.  I can at least visit them.

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 01:59:52 PM »
Go ahead and dry fire it.  Its a Ruger!
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 01:51:32 AM »
talk to the professionals and trainers.  havn't talked to one yet that doesn't dry fire a lot.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline kansas45

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 03:23:06 AM »
I have dry fired my P89 many time's. I put a EMPTY mag in first. If you aren't sure about dry firing just purchace some snap-cap's. I like the Zoom snap cap's. They will give many year's of trouble free dry fire. :)
AMERICA........Love it or leave it!

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 03:59:10 AM »
You cannot dry fire the new Ruger P345 without the magazine in it..........will cause problems, warns of this in owners manual. I don't dry fire my semi auto pistols, I do my revovers.

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 04:29:46 AM »
You cannot dry fire the new Ruger P345 without the magazine in it..........will cause problems, warns of this in owners manual. I don't dry fire my semi auto pistols, I do my revovers.

I dry fire my P97 (and my P89 and my Blackhawks) a lot, probably more than I shoot it.  From what I have read about the P345, I see no reason to trade my P97 for one.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »
Many years of experience has taught me that repeated dry firing of any weapon with out snap caps is risky at best.  A set of snap caps cost in the ten dollar range, this is cheap insurance and might prevent a costly repair bill later.

Buying the snap caps kinda reminds me of the guy that says he can streatch the mileage another 1000-1500 miles above recommendations on oil changes.  He may save a few dollars up front, but it the end it can be very costly.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 01:07:23 AM »
i dry fire all ;my guns alot! never had a problem.
blue lives matter

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 04:27:58 AM »
Some folks have all the luck.  Over the years as a "Tinker gunsmith" I have repaired many, many firearms that were damaged as a result of dry firing.  I am sure there are those who do it and never have a problem, but remember Murphy's law, at some point they will.

My point, "it is better to be safe than sorry."  Nuff said.

Offline PaulS

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 02:25:41 PM »
Ruger's berylium copper alloy firing pins can be dry fired without harm. That alloy doesn't work harden and crystalize like the steel pins do. their stainless steel allow is wear resistant and does not work harden either. I have heard that you are not supposed to dry fire Smith's or Colt's but it has been years - things change. your owner's manual should have that information in it - if you don't have one you can either download one from the manufacturer's website or send an email and they are usually happy to send you one for free.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »
I have a Ruger P95; you can dry fire it, run it over with a truck and drop it off a mountain and the thing never stops working; it is one tough pistol.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 05:41:26 AM »
1Marty. The P95 is not really a tough as you think.  It was first made of A356T, an aircraft-quility aluminum alloy, and later models are of a polymer design.  Both of these products are used to detere corrosion, and provide for a better carry, or service weapon, that does not require the daily cleaning a steel weapon requires.  They will take a lot of daily abuse, but don't be fooled that it will take the abuse you described and continue to tick.  You may get away with it a time or two, but soon you will be shipping it back for repair, or throwing it in the recycle bin.

The P-95 was something of a revolutionary design. The P-95 used the P-93's slide and barrel, but changed from the 1911 style rotating link design to a linkless design designed to transfer energy to the frame less abruptly, reducing the stress on the frame and in the process reducing the felt recoil. More obvious to the average shooter than that, however, was the change from an aluminum frame to a long strand fiberglass reinforced polyurethane resin frame based on Dow Chemical's "Isoplast". This reduced the weight of the pistol by 4 oz., and also reduced the price significantly, as the polymer frame was less expensive to produce than the aluminum one. Unlike any other polymer framed hangun on the market, the P-95 had no metal inserts in the frame. The combination of the rugged Ruger design and the high strength polymer allowed the slide to ride directly on the polymer frame rails, which simplified the casting of the frame and helped keep the P-95's price low.

As for the berylium copper firing pin, it is also tough, but will break.  Berylium copper was used by Rockwell in numerous places on the B1B aircraft.  It works, but it does fail very often.  Failure of berylium copper parts in the landing gear/landing lights system has generated generated many hours of labor for us maintenance personnel.

And by the way, I have repaired a ruger or two over the years, damaged as a result of dry firing.  While Rugar does not discourage dry firing, neither do they recommend it.  Continue to do it on a regular basis, and you will be replacing parts.  It is like I said previously, "pay me now, or pay me later."  Folks that take the "cheap charlie" attitude and refuse to provide the additional insurance for the longivity of their weapon by purchasing a cheap set of snap caps, at some point will pay a much larger price in repairs.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »
the examples I was giving are called "metaphors". I did not run the P95 over with my truck nor have I dropped it from a mountain. This is a pistol which I have fired well over a 1000 rounds through with every type of ammo and have never had a jam-the pistol shoots as accurate as the day I bought it. It is more dead on than my other pistols which I have paid 2x to 3x as much.  I clean my handguns after every use etc. The P95 is an impressive handgun.

Offline 3fifty8

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 04:22:58 PM »
Invest in the appropriate snap caps and dry fire to your hearts content.  It is a small price to pay, to protect your gun.

Offline PaulS

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »
Rockbilly,
I have a Ruger Security-Six that has been dry-fired for three straight years when I was competing with it - I dry-fired it for an hour each night, fired close to 100 rounds through it daily for three years with out a single problem. I have owned the gun for 33 years and have continued to dry-fire it (less than I used to) and I have never had any problems with it - including any broken firing pins.
The BC alloy that is used in the firing pins doesn't work harden and the book that came with my gun from Ruger said that it was completely safe to dry fire without snap caps. My experience has shown me that what the book says is very true.
If I had ever had a problem with my gun I would have sent it to Ruger for free repair as they stand firmly behind their product. In 33 years of full magnum loads and the years of dry firing I have never had any problems with my Security-Six other than a rough and heavy trigger that has mellowed over the years.
PaulS

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 11:32:54 AM »
PaulS, Consider yourself very lucky, there are exceptions to most every rule.

As I stated in my post, Rugar does not discourage dry firing, neither do they recommend it.  I shot competively for many years and have dry fired many guns, but experience has taught me the price of a set of snap caps is cheap insurance. I'll stick by my guns and continue to recommend using the snap caps. 

Offline PaulS

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 11:02:42 PM »
PaulS, Consider yourself very lucky, there are exceptions to most every rule.

As I stated in my post, Rugar does not discourage dry firing, neither do they recommend it.  I shot competively for many years and have dry fired many guns, but experience has taught me the price of a set of snap caps is cheap insurance. I'll stick by my guns and continue to recommend using the snap caps. 

Rockbilly,
Thats why this sport has so many people involved. Each has their own experience and biases. I wouldn't even want to try to convince you to my way of thinking and I wouldn't argue over who is right or wrong. We have had different experiences and you must follow your experience. If we were discussing dangerous loads or an issue that might result in personal injury it might be worth going further. People who follow your advice will certainly come to no harm and either will their weapons. Those who have old Rugers like mine have probably had the same experiences that I have but maybe there is someone out there who broke a Ruger firing pin and has had to have it replaced. I hope he had sense enough to send it to Ruger so they could replace it free for him. If I ever run into somebody who has broken the firing pin on a Ruger I will question how because it is completely foreign to my personal experience. There again - That's why there is more than one gun - different strokes for different folks.
PaulS

Offline z_biker

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 05:16:28 AM »
The only ones I would not dry fire are .22 rimfire guns.

You stand a good chance to dinging the chamber or cylinder and breaking the pin.

Maybe in modern .22's they take that into account and have shorter pins. In any event, rimfire guns are the only ones I do not dry fire.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................
When the factory rep. says do not dry fire, I think, it would be more from a possible "accidental discharge" than hurting the weapon.
..........................................................................................................................................................................................
z

Offline S.S.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 06:16:52 AM »
I do not dry fire anything without a snap-cap!
With snap-caps or something similar available,
there is no need. Why risk damaging an expensive firearm?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jro45

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 08:25:53 AM »
I don't dry fire unless the manufactor says it ok to do so. period.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »
I've been dry firing my Super Blawkhawk since the day I got it. No sign of a problem, ever.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.