Author Topic: Lyman 48 vs. Redfield 70  (Read 321 times)

Offline AkRvrrat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lyman 48 vs. Redfield 70
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:37:16 PM »
these are 1x optics so I figured I could place them here ;) I have a rifle that will have one of these before too long mounted on or in rather a Rem. 30 Express. What exactly is the difference betwixt the two. Lyman was the original the military mounted on the p-17 but how close is the RED. #70?

regards,

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lyman 48 vs. Redfield 70
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:16:34 AM »
It's been a looonng time since I played around with a Redfield 70 peep but, if I remember correctly, they might track ajustments a (very) little more precisely.  While they seemed significantly less rugged than the Lyman 48 the Redfields were very popular at the range with small-bore shooters in the 50s and 60s.

But, they seemed significantly less rugged than the Lymans so I chose the 48 for my sporterized 03-A3 conversion in '67 because it would see more use in the woods than on a range; I've never regretted the choice.  The adjustments track plenty well enough for almost any shooting.  In fact, they were often used for high-power NRA position shooting along side the much more expensive Redfields and they did well. 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue