Author Topic: fishing self defense  (Read 3530 times)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: fishing self defense
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 01:43:27 AM »
I have met Conservation Officers twice when I have been openly carrying and neither one questioned me about the handgun.  I guess they realized that if I wasn't permitted (New York, of course!), I wouldn't be so stupid as to openly carry.  Come to think of it, I was also stopped a couple of times during routine traffic checks and the troopers weren't particularly concerned when I told them that I has a handgun in the car (not on my person).  I understand they do get rather crabby when you reach for your wallet and they see a concealed handgun.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 03:07:55 AM »
Go to the nearest truck stop and pick up a tire billy ! alum. or wood !
But remember its bad fourm to carry anything less to a gun fight than a gun !
pick a new spot to fish !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gt40

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »
Try a plastic spray bottle that will spray a solid stream about 10' or more then fill it with ammonia and aim for the eyes & nose. You will stop everything from men to grizzlies.

gt40

PS: If you don't believe me try it on the neighborhood pitbull (Hee, Hee) or put your nose to the open bottle.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 11:58:48 AM »
I have used wasp spray for self defense against large aggressive dogs. They dispense a very large amount of product instantly, very effective and legal to carry.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline glshop20

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 07:48:56 AM »
Carry a can of shaving cream.  When you see something suspicious fill your mouth with shaving cream.  As the threat gets closer let the cream run out of your mouth slowly, accumulating on your face, clothing etc.  This will simulate rabis.  Most people and animals will run for fear of their lives. Then take out your huge hunting knife and have a relaxing shave.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »
why not smack your cheeks and look like a big zit ?
might want whipped cream also taste better !

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2008, 10:33:54 AM »
I had some trouble with feral dogs in Oregon when I was kid.  Ran into a pack in the hills west of Portland while on a "road run" for cross-country.  From that time on, I carried a sawed off shovel handle on my runs.  I suppose it was hickory.  In any case, it was light, and stout.  I noticed that no dogs ever bothered me when I carried the "staff".  (Dogs aren't stupid).  Most people aren't, either. 

Wouldn't do much good against a gun, I suppose, but I suspect most "under achievers" are looking for folks who appear to be easy marks.  There's something about a guy with a stout stick that says, "I'm NOT an easy mark, pal."  It's legal and psychologically effective.  Maybe old Teddy Roosevelt wasn't so far off, eh?  (Of course, given my druthers, I'd still rather carry my Sig P220.  ;D)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 12:28:40 PM »
  whens the last time anyone checked your pockets  while fishing.. im like the bassman carry an good pocket pistol.. you never know when you gonna run into crszy mean killer minded people..
 thats where common sense clashes with the law.. no offense intended to you..just my opinion..

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 03:49:14 AM »
why would anyone check unless you gave them cause ?

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
Even if they did, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.