Author Topic: Reticles & $  (Read 466 times)

Offline The Sodbuster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Reticles & $
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:21:04 PM »
Had a question about costs of different kinds of reticles.  With some manufacturers, the same model scope costs the same regardless of the reticle.  But with others, there is considerable price difference between a standard duplex and a ranging reticle or mil-dot (on what appear to be otherwise identical scopes).  A ranging reticle is just a duplex with a few extra lines on the bottom half.  Is it really that more costly to manufacture these?  Or is it regarded as a premium reticle and so they charge a premium price?

I understand how illuminated reticles could be more costly; but a regular reticle?  It's probably all etched by computer controlled machinery.  I doubt the computer takes much longer to etch dots as it does to etch a duplex; but maybe I'm just being a frugal crank.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
Re: Reticles & $
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 05:08:52 AM »
Here's some concrete price figures from the '06 Cabela's catalog:

Leupold VXII   3-9X40mm    Duplex    $300
  Leupold VXII   3-9X40mm    LRD        $330
  Burris FFII       3-9X40mm    Plex        $210
  Burris FFII       3-9X40mm    BPlex      $235
  Bushnell 3200 3-9X40mm    MultiX     $200
  Bushnell 3200 3-9X40mm    Ballistic    $280
  Zeiss          4.5-14X44mm   Z-Plex     $690
  Zeiss          4.5-14X44mm   MilDot     $800
  Swarovski      3-10X42mm   Plex       $930
  Swarovski      3-10X42mm   TDS       $1000

Near as I can tell from the spec's provided in the catalog, these scopes are identical in all respects except for the type of reticle.  Yet and trajectory compensating or mill-dot reticle costs anywhere from $25 to $110 more than a plain old duplex reticle.  It's just a few extra lines below the crosshairs!

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:25:58 AM »
Was pleased to see Nikon's new trajectory compensating reticle only runs $10 above their Nikoplex reticle.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:21:14 PM »
Just read John Barsness' Optics column in the November Rifle magazine.  He toured the Leupold factory and mentions that crosshair reticles are made by hand under a microscope with platinum wire, while more complex reticles, such as their Boone & Crockett reticle, are etched on glass. 

At least now I know there's a different process for making trajectory compensating reticles (at least in the case of Leupolds).  I'd have guessed that manipulating wires by hand under a microscope would lead to a costlier process than etching glass.  Still not sure if the price difference in different reticles on the same Leupold scope is a function of manufacturing costs, or the "premium factor". 

I'm still a little unclear:  is the platinum wire used in a standard, "plex" reticle, or is it just in very fine, target crosshairs?  Are all other reticles etched on the glass, or do cheap scopes use a cheaper process (I'm picturing some guy with a fine point marker drawing crosshairs on lenses).

Hmmm . . . I seem to be the only guy responding to my initial question.  Still, I can't argue with the brilliant logic of the previous posts  ;D ;)