Author Topic: Where is everyone from?  (Read 48811 times)

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Where is everyone from?
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:02:16 PM »
I'll start it off.  My residence is in Saint Paul, MN.   I have just over 400 acres in Roseau County, MN (Up near the MN/Canada border) where I hunt for both whitetail and black bear. 

Where are you from, and where do you hunt?
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Where is everyone from?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:19:36 PM »
Hello

I am from NW Wisconsin. I primarily deer hunt and do some fishing. I hunt Sawyer, Ashland, Washburn and Barron countys. Some day I would like to deer hunt in Minnesota. This would extend my rifle season since the MN season starts before WI. Hope to learn more on this forum.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline USMC0332

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:34:04 PM »
I live in Mora. I deer hunt on local farms, and am trying bear hunting this year.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:24:41 PM »
USMC-  You got baits set out?? How are the bear hitting?  Our baits are doing pretty well, we caught a bruiser on the Cuddeback last weekend at one of the bait sites.
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline captkev

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:31:29 AM »
 I live in Todd county and hunt just about anything that has a season, or would love to try it in the future.
Beep          Beep         Beep                 BeepBeep    Point!           "WOODCOCK"          *BANG*      "Dead bird"

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:10:16 AM »
The wife and I live near Duluth but both of us grew up in the Henning, Leaf Lakes area, where we still hunt grouse and whitetails. I'm getting ready to go to Colorado elk hunting in Oct, while I'm there the wife will be hunting Pheasants in Neb. after Mn Deer season we will spend the rest of the fall weekends in Southeastern N.D. hunting Pheasents.  We both shoot sporting clays at Old Vermillion Trail, north of Duluth, winter or summer.
captkev  where in Todd are you ? I hear that there is a nice Sporting Clays course just west of Wadena some place. Do you know where it is?

Offline captkev

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »
 I live in Browerville, don't know of any west of Wadena, but I worked here for 5 years and still guide from time to time for them ... www.littlemoran.com  Tell them Kev sent ya ;)
Beep          Beep         Beep                 BeepBeep    Point!           "WOODCOCK"          *BANG*      "Dead bird"

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 10:36:51 AM »
captkev
I didn't know about littlemoran south of Staples I'll have to stop and check it out on my way to Henning.

Offline captkev

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 11:19:39 AM »
  You must go right by County rd 21 on hwy 210 to get to Henning right? Let me know ahead of time, and I might be able to shoot a round with ya. What type of Dogs do you hunt with if any? Also I've spent some time to the south east of Henning hunting neer Almora and Parkers Prairie. Great water foul just south of Urbank at a friends house. I also fish West Battle quite a bit.  You ever hear of a guy by the name of Glen Wilson in Henning? Stop in the cafe and ask the waitres if he's there, then mention Little Moran and my self (Kevin) if you meet him, He would know of any Sporting clays in the area.

Offline Handwerk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 02:29:31 PM »
Grand Marais- hunt whitetail and grouse on the 40 we live on, go out west (pronghorn and/or mulies) when I can. next year it's north to Alaska for a hunt.

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 01:35:08 AM »
captkev, your right, I go 210 to Henning so it wouldn't be to far out of the way to swing in. We don't have a dog,would like to, I have a neighbor down the road that moved to the country so his dogs have a place to run, they are all mutts and only are at home at night. Complaints to the town board help, he will tie them up for a while, as time goes on he gets lax and you have to write another letter to the board. It would take a lot of work to teach a dog to not join the pack. A friend of ours has a Brittany, he goes to the Dakotas with us pheasent hunting. As for water foul ( spelling correct) I watch that, thru the patio door, from the warm comfort of the dinning room table with a cup of coffee and the morning paper. When they are done hunting for the morning the hunters join me and we finish the pot. Back in the mid 60's I kept a dark house on the east end of West Battle by Hulls Landing, there was a nice spot right where the creek from East Battle dumped into West. Do you fish Muskies I used to see a lot of them in the dark house. I haven't lived there since the late 60's things have really changed, and I don't know a lot of people any more.

Offline RipOne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 03:16:20 AM »
curteric:   I can relate to all of that - gets a little exciting in the Dark House at times  ;D

You've defiantly had some times ><>
David L Hunt ... Breath 1-2-3 Pulse-Pull

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 03:58:43 AM »
Chicago, hunt mostly in southern Illinois, Shawnee national forest. Also go to waushara county in Wisconsin to a friends for rifle. Oh sorry hunt mostly whitetail deer, and some small game and doves.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline captkev

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 06:33:47 AM »
curteric... I think the creek changed directions...LOL it was going into East Battle  from West the last time I was there. The water was low and there was a wind out of the north, but that it is how it looked. A friend of mine had a cabin (His Ma & Pa Did rather) about 5 cabins down from the Mini Ha Ha resort... Its gone now (the resort)and theres a big public landing in it's place. I was there 2 weekends ago and the light green cabin was still there on Clarissa Haven Rd.- Dr. - Ave...? that leads to Sunset beach resort.   I like to say I fish for Muskie... But I'm not good at it, I'd rather be hunting Walleye ;)  Let me know if you'd like to Hunt some Grouse & Woodcock over towards Henning, I've got a German Short Hair that just loves to hunt...

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
I am from Northwestern Illinois.  I  deer hunt in the Namadji State Forest in Minnesota. Numerous places in NW  Wisconsin both public (Cheqamegon NF) and private land - Clam Lake, Hayward, Moose lake, Raddison. Southern Illinois (Shawnee NF) and in my home county of Whiteside. Quite a few southern and midwestern states as well.  Proud member of Minnesota Deer Hunters Association - I think it is a privilege to hunt in Minnesota as we do not have public land opportunities anywhere near where I live, and I love the northwoods hunting tradtions.  MDHA is the finest organization I have ever seen to preserve and foster this sport.  (sorry for the preaching - I just feel strongly about ethics, safety, traditions, and bringing young people into our sport)  Glad to see this forum.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 07:23:41 PM »
Welcome Jim and CM.

Captkev, I have a buddy who is a taxidermist down in Victor IA with some GSH puppies for sale.  Are they a pretty good dog?  I've been considering a GSH or a black lab.. I just don't like the idea of the fact that the lab could just as well flush the birds up a lot sooner and a lot further away than one would wish.
HuntingGuy

Offline USMC0332

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 08:54:54 PM »
I have one inactive bait station, and a new one that I started today. I find the bait scrounging to be kinda fun. I am a cheap Finlander, free bait is for me! The one I started tonight should be a good one. It is pretty nice when the landowner helps haul stuff with the tractor. They have brush-hogged trails all over, and now carry guns while on nature walks due to smelling bears while out. They are active hunters/shooters/NRA instructors. This is fun. The only downside is my 12 yr old daughter and I got into the hornets in the woods tonight, yeowch!

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 02:43:32 AM »
free bait is for me!
...Me too.  I get all my grease from the local mom & pop cafe, spent doughnuts from the gas stations, truckloads of old breads from the shops, and expired hard candy & molasses.  Most is free, the bread is $15/truck load or something like that.

Gotta love a brushhog, dont ya?  We just opened up some areas around stands for deer hunting, I'm really looking forward to Nov.  Good luck to you USMC next weekend.. Let me know how you do, I'll do the same  ;) Be Safe.
HuntingGuy

Offline captkev

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »
HuntingGuy , I'd say it all depends on how you like to hunt, some like flushers, I've hunted behind a few that I liked that were well trained (Springers). I myself don't like to hunt too fast, I'd rather walk up to a dog on point and be ready for the bird to flush than to see a flusher get going on a running bird and then have to chace after them to stay in range for the shot. But thats just me, some like flushers, and thats fine. I think my percentages are a little higher in the thick Grouse woods as well. If you like to hunt late season ducks, then I'd say go for the lab, they can handle the cold a little better.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 04:06:19 PM »
Thanks capt, no ducks for me.. Just pheasants.  Will think on it!
HuntingGuy

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »
Bearfat is from southeast metro area where the Mississippi and St Croix river join. Too close to the big city and too far from my cabin, although after a week up there I'm ready to come back.

I work for the railroad as a switchman/conductor.
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline conibear

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »
I'm from Badger MN [Roseau county] lived here all my life hunt and trap lfe is good here.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 06:30:43 AM »
Conibear.. We do most of our deer hunting in Roseau County.. Own close to 500 acres up that way.  You do any deer hunting?  Should be good this year.
HuntingGuy

Offline conibear

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 07:48:55 PM »
Huntingguy I used to hunt deer with bow, rifle, muzzeloader, But it was just to much so I stayed with bear hunting, waterfowl, upland birds, and my favorite Trapping. PS Where do you have your land at I thaught I seen you posted about up by the MN/Manatoba border. If so I have trapped a lot up north of Roesau for Bobcats and fisher and Pine Marten. Take care. ;D

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 04:03:17 AM »
Conibear, sent you a PM.
HuntingGuy

Offline heartman

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 03:51:01 AM »
Grew up in Northfield, MN, and live in Duluth, MN.

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 08:09:38 AM »
Grew up in Northfield, MN, and live in Duluth, MN.
  A friend of mine's husband just got a job with the Duluth Police Department.  They are leaving Friday to establish a residence up there.
HuntingGuy

Offline bpjon

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 09:53:49 AM »
I live in Minneapolis, and hunt on and around my father's land in St. Louis county.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 01:58:29 PM »
Welcome Jon, I'm in Woodbury.  Where do ya shoot?
HuntingGuy

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 02:34:56 PM »
I didn't see the forum this topic was in. Just so everyone knows Chicago is not in Minnesota! :-[
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?