Author Topic: Where is everyone from?  (Read 48821 times)

Offline bpjon

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Where is everyone from?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 06:39:21 AM »
Hi HuntingGuy.  I actually grew up right next door to you, in St. Paul Park.  I've also bought my fair share of iron from Gander Mtn in Woodbury.  I do most of my shooting up at the cabin, I try to get there at least twice a month, more when possible.  Lately though, I've been going over to Spooner, WI, where my parents moved to, and go to the club Dad belongs to.  In the past I've shot at the Oakdale Gun Club, Burnsville Pistol Range, the Hideaway (long gone) and Bill's. 

"Who is John Galt?"

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
Jon, I'm a member over at OGC and do most of my shooting there.  -- If I want a break from the city, I'll usually drive to Menomonie WI at their public range.  They have a 300 yarder there which is nice  ;D
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Friar_Tuck

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 05:39:48 PM »
I live in Baudette MN, right on the Border.
I hunt in the Northome area on family land for deer.
pine island state forest for bear.
And anyplace else I can manage!
Jim

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
Welcome, Jim.
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline jred

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 11:27:09 AM »
Red Wing....do my hunting in Goodhue County....lots of deer and wild turkey this year.

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 11:00:56 AM »
jred I have hunted alot in northern Goodhue County west of Welch. Have yet to get my turkey although I've taken a few shots!!!

Do some black powder down there in December for deer. Attached photo was last year down there for 2 days...saw nothing!!!! It was cloudy and wet, perfect for stalking.

We also went south of Redwing for a day, some new spot a buddy showed me. Don't remember the name of it. Got within 200 yards of a guy that took a deer. I probably sent it up to him.
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 09:39:52 PM »
I probably sent it up to him.
  I've done that more than once...  Sure sets the tone for the day.  ::)
HuntingGuy

Offline Riley/MN

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 01:48:37 PM »
Howdy Fellas,

I'm new to the fire here. I grew up north of Isle (Opstead), but now live outside of Plainview in Wabasha county.

Try to get out huntin here and still make it up to the Folk's place once in awhile, too. I've bear hunted the last three years with a friend about 20 miles north of Duluth.

I love the smell of burnt charcoal and sulphur!!
~Riley

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 03:52:41 AM »
Welcome to the pack, Riley!
HuntingGuy

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 07:29:27 PM »
Riley/MN your bear hunt location would put you close to Two Harbors. I go up to Silver Bay another 20 miles up on the northshore bear hunting.

I've been down by Plainview hunting grouse I think 20 years ago. I've snooped around Snake Creek by Kellogg?

I usually use the city of Wabasha as my turn around on the motorcycle run. The fishing looks like it might be good in the area, all the inlets and bays off of the Mississippi river.

Lot's of info on this site. Keep posting and checking back with your MN buddies.

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2006, 08:37:35 AM »
Howdy,
  Never got down this far on the site until today.  From Zim area and I hunt deer outback of my home on County and State forfeited land.  Hunt grouse all over the area from my home.  I want to get into hunting for fox and coyotes for some winter fun.  It is good to have a site with fellow Minnesotain's

I had a successful deer season with four does taken by myself and my daughter.  Never had a chance for a good shot for a buck, than I hunt meat not antlers.  Will take a buck if he wants to commit suicide though. ;D

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
Mnswede I got a hunting cabin on the North Shore next to the Silver Bay airport.

I take a weeks vacation in winter for coyote/fox hunting using bait (road kill deer). I'm hoping to head up News Years on a meat run. I tried hand calling and electronic calling but they always have the advantage. The bait hunting technique seems to even the odds little better on them for me.

Plus I'm lazy and sitting in a nice warm sniper bunker with a wood stove is more to my liking. If you check my profile I do have a web site and have some info/pics about bait hunting (more to come). The site is strictly about the rat shack and the goings on up there.
Also the little world icon under my avitar takes you right to it.

Welcome to the MN site. Check in with your hunting/fishing results. Got any bobcat where you are? If so how do you hunt them?
We've got Canadian Lynx up at my shack moving in area now but as you know they have even more protection than the wolf!!

Last years vacation only took one red fox on the 1st night up but so it goes

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »
Beautiful animal, BF!  Nice to hear from you.. Board has been quiet.
HuntingGuy

Offline USMC0332

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
This rifle season my party saw fewer deer than in previous years. The south wind changed the patterns and the people hunting south of us saw many more than usual. I took a nice doe. It was the first deer I have taken with my sporterized Turk Mauser in 8x57, as well as my first deer with my own handloaded ammo. My 12 year old daughter got her first deer, a button buck at 40 yards with a Savage .30-30 bolt action rifle(with hand loaded 150grn Remington pointed soft point bullets). My Dad got a nice buck and a doe. I got an electric varmint call from Santa. I hope to try my hand with the coyotes this weekend. I hope to get a couple of hides to try tanning. I don't have a small bore yet, so I hope not to explode them with the .30/06. I live in the Mora area.

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2006, 04:29:55 AM »
BF

You hunt the right way, exspecially for my old bones.  I have seen Bobcat and tracks around here, but I haven't tried hunting them.  I had been trying to healup from surgury of right shoulder since 2003, and now I feel better and I'm looking for a winter hobby.  Since I'm double retired now, time I have.

We have alot of road kill around the area, so sounds as though I will have to make the trip around the area to collect the deer.  I will have to comeup with some ideas for a nice sniper hide like you have BF.  On a nice -10 to -20 night, your hide is just the cats whiskers huh!

After deer season this area empties out except for snowmobilers on the weekends.  I have alot of area to roam in the swamps around this neck of the woods.  With most everyone working the weekdays, the woods are peaceful and quiet.  It is the reason I moved up to this neck of the woods.  Going up north of Nashwauk on 65 it is even more quiet and peaceful, except on weekends with the snowmobilers.  But then, this whole area of northern Mn is lacking in people and rich in wildlife/fish. :D

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2006, 09:17:22 AM »
St. James MN. Waiting for snow for coyote hunting. I'd post a piture of the deer hunting luck but don't know how to.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »
Hello all. I live and hunt fox and coyote in West Central MN, near Morris. We hunt deer and grouse a few miles south of Crane Lake, along the Echo Trail. I gave up waterfowling with the steel shot law, but replaced it with a few trips to Mobridge SD each year, to shoot prairie dogs. Lots of fun, and I don't need chest waders !
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2006, 09:20:57 AM »
billy 56081 you'll need a digital host for your digital pic's. I'm just getting into digital so some of my pic's are crude because I have to scan my old 35mm onto the computer, take a digital pic of them on my viewer, and sent them to Photobucket.com which is free for 2gb of space (thousands? of pics) and for $25.00 a year you get 5gb of pic space. Try them free for a few months see if you like them. There are other free hosts out there but I couldn't download my digital pic's to them for some reason. http://photobucket.com/

See if you can find this post (I'll try to link you to it) in GO for posting pic probs: Follow instructions in the "[Q/A] - [ANSWERED] Posting Pictures" post started by "I am Cal". http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,1804.0.html

USMC0332 I have used 30-06 full metal jacket and it was not too bad on the hides. Good luck on the varmint caller. Just remember they still like to come in down wind to check out that free meal they hear squealing.

Mnswede lot of guys use old junker fish houses for bunkers up by me. They set them up by a clearing, pasture, whatever, up wind (predominate winter wind) and bait all year. A DNR game warden told me to simply staple my road kill permits to the structure in case one of them runs across the bait they like to know who is hunting over the bait.

The old junker fish house is no different than a permanant tree stand. I suppose the state will enact a law if it gets out of hand with thousands of old fish house sitting in the woods? My bunker has been sitting there for about 15 yrs now on County or State land, I'm not sure which. It might be OK for bear hunting too but the wind is different there in the fall and I've never tried it.

Hey HuntingGuy I was using a $100.00 gift card in the Woodbury Gander Mnt 12/26/06 and at the checkout line with a new "Otter" mini sled and cover for my magnum sled when I thought I saw you. I checked out pic's you've posted and it was you. I would have said hello but place was packed, you was busy, and I figured you might have thought I'm some kind of internet stalker or something if I yelled out, "Hey...I'm bearfat are you HuntingGuy?"

Sorry dude...I'll introduce myself next time.

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2007, 05:48:43 AM »
Southern Minnesota by Geneva

I do a lot of deer by bow and muzzleloader as well as Bear hunting up by Wirt (wide spot in the road east of Northhome).
Also a lot of Pheasant hunting in Iowa.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline Bldr Bob

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 06:39:13 AM »
Two Bears, I hunt deer and grouse just north of Wirt by American Falls. 

Hunting Guy, I almost did the same thing as BF when I was at Gander a couple weeks ago.  I was standing in line for about 20 minutes and couldn't muster up the courage to yell "i'm builder bob" with about 40 people around me.  I still have you in mind for ice fishing by the way just have been a little busy.

Offline DenverDuck

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »
Originally from Gully / Fosston area... Now in SoCal.... Quite a change.. Hunt Pheasants in Western Kansas, Deer in Gully / Trail, Geese just north of Greenbush and lots of those pesty and dangerous clay pigeons in Mesquite, NV and Southwestern Colorado...

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2007, 02:38:56 AM »
Bldr Bob & BF-

Well, ya oughtta introduce yourselves next time you're in.  My hours are getting cut back a little and I will be spending more time with the Sheriff's Office.  I am still waitin' on ice fishin, BB, I have been stayin busy myself though - we'll make it out there!  You had any luck yet?  BF, I love that board - maybe one day I can have somethin' decent up there  ;)
HuntingGuy

Offline rifleman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2007, 04:50:15 PM »
From Fergus Falls in Otter Tail County. Fish West Battle from time to time. Had a Trailer on Sunset Beach for a couple of years. I hunt Deer, pheasants, waterfowl, coyotes, and grouse. Love to fish for muskies, and smallmouth bass.

I believe there is a Hunting Preserve a bit Northwest of Wadena up Hwy 75. Oak Point Shooting Preserve (or Game Farm).

Dave

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2007, 04:46:04 AM »
Welcome rifleman.

Hope to see you help keep our Minnesota thread alive. I'm not at all familiar with your part of the State.

I'm a week away from (1) weeks vacation coyote/fox hunting at night and spearing pike during the day.
It'll be a busy schedule.   ;)

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2007, 04:55:29 AM »
Bldr Bob & BF-

introduce yourselves next time you're in.

Well also I didn't want to bug you because you looked kind of busy like you were hitting on one of your sweet young coworkers (maybe not) but I figured it might be better not to interupt and ruin your chances dude... :D

Offline Bluegunner

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »
Reside in Albert Lea, Mn. Hunt pheasants, quail, grouse, woodcock, coyotes, bobcats, deer, wild pig, wild turkey and would someday like to try bear and elk hunting.  Have a 5 year old Brittany who is doing one fantastic job for me.  Love watching her work!  Just took a nice 140-160# boar last week and now getting ready for spring turkey.

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2007, 03:00:34 AM »
Bluegunner where did you take the boar? What's a trip down south like that cost in time and money? Also...I've been wanting a bobcat. Any way you can put together a little post of "Minnesota bobcat hunting." Here's a bunch of info on MN bear hunting:

http://buckmountainchateau.com/    (See bear baiting and bear hunting page. It's local MN stuff)

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,100335.msg1098264243.html#msg1098264243    (Previous post on GBOD about bear hunting in MN)

Took this coyote superbowl Sunday. I hunt over road kill deer which I get road kill permits for. I have permanent sniper bunkers set up with wood stoves etcetera.

Offline rifleman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 03:26:11 AM »
Bluegunner  Welcome I was wondering also where you went to get a pig?

Cowpox  Maybe we can get together for some hunting coyotes, grouse or....? I'm not to far north of you. I'm kind of a rookie at coyotes, but have a few decent spots to try if you'd like to. One of my neighbors moved here from Morris, he's a UPS driver.

USMC0332  We also saw fewer deer in our area last fall. Actually saw ALMOST NO deer all season. If my son hadn't gotten one up north the first weekend, it would have been a total loss as far as venison goes. The hunt is always worth it just for the experience, but....

Bearfat  What do you guys think of trying to have a get together sometime. It could be for breakfast or camping or fishing or.... Probably tough to do but I thought I'd put forth the idea. I should probably ask HuntingGuy as he's the official leader here.

I tried to bold only the names, but it looks like I need a little more practice, Sorry

Dave

Offline Bluegunner

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
Hey guys, I appreciate the interest.  Most of the hogs, coyotes, bobcats and quail hunting that I have done has been done on my Brother's ranch in West Texas. This year I have started coyote hunting in Mn.  My son went with me this year, (we just returned Feb 9th) and we each took a nice hog, myself a boar and my son a nice sow.  If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post a couple of pictures.

My Son's sow -120-130#

My boar 130-140#

Offline Griz Coaltraine

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2007, 08:37:10 AM »
Hello people, wow been so long since I posted here it says I haven't, LOL.

Anyway, originally from Minnetonka, been out in western Wright county since '93, now looking for at least a "forty" up north someplace from the north shore to Orr.  Not many critters here in MN I haven't hunted at least once, mainly hunt upland birds and deer tho. Where I hunt changes over time. For example, 2006 deer season, first week was east of Bemidji and last weekend was near bearfat's cabin north of Finland. I just go where I can when I can.