Author Topic: Where is everyone from?  (Read 48822 times)

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Re: Where is everyone from?
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »
Welcome back Griz Coaltraine.

Our Minnesota site is not getting alot of hits. I think it's because we are just to busy hunting and fishing.  ;D

Hope to be heading up to the rat shack next weekend.

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline Griz Coaltraine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2007, 08:00:25 AM »
Good luck traveling bearfat.

I need to get back up there land hunting, but this weekend may not be the time to go judging by the weather. If you're familiar with Wildhurst Campground, I stay next door at my cousin's place when we're up there.

Griz

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 10:26:46 AM »
From Cheeseville west of Green Bay in a very rural area. We live in a small square timber log cabin we constructed ourselves in 1997. Hunt in Cheeseville on a large tract of wooded land for deer.

Started whitetail hunting north of Orr in 1999 and have gone every year except 2005 when my buddy had rotator cup surgery.

Met bearfat over on the ATV forum and kinda wondered over here from there. 

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »
Got any pic's you can post of the cabin carbineman?

For awhile I had an interest in doing heavy timber (post and beam) after I put up 2 small log cabins. I'd post pic's of the cabins but the pic's are buried deep somewhere.

My grand plan with post and beam was to periodically have a half dozen timbers milled, and as time permitted hand cut and notch them per the blueprint, and store them.  The project would have taken a few years but once each individual piece was cut and notched they could be kept out of the weather easily in a small 10x14 tin shed. You could hold off on the really long pieces until the end.

I also have an interest in cordwood masonry and hope to put up a small out building at my rat shack hunting cabin. I may have a lead on some cedar which will be the first couple of courses. Cord wood masonry never really caught on it seems. I suppose it just looks cheap to some, doesn't appeal like a log cabin or heavy post and beam construction.    :-\

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
I'll post the pic of cabin in a separate thread as it was one that is oversized and could goof up this page.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
Started in Fosston too, now South Central MN.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline winfan

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2007, 01:48:59 PM »
Hello all.  I'm down southwest of Albert Lea.  Hunt deer around here - in-laws own land on the Blue Earth River in Faribault Co.  Also have hunted deer up near Isabella and also over by Red Lake.  Hunt the Lanesboro area for spring & fall turkey.  Get to spend a few days hunting pheasant around home too.
Otherwise, I like to hunt mulies in SW Montana.
Going to take my soon-to-be twelve y.o. daughter deer hunting on her grandpa's land this fall.  Really looking forward to that.  I really would like to try bear hunting in Northern MN too.

Mike

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2007, 04:34:16 PM »
snapcrackpop and winfan welcome to the Minnesota side of GBO.

It just hasn't taken off very well over here. I don't know if we're too busy hunting and fishing or what. 

I'm trying turkey again end of May. And this September hope to try sturgeon on MN/WS border waters.

Oh yaaa and in a couple of weeks hope to try steelhead (rainbow trout) up in the Split Rock river as they run in from Lake Superior on the north shore.    http://buckmountainchateau.com/splitrock.html

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2007, 07:37:41 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Bearfat.

Slow time of the year (between activities).
That plus there are lots of good forums on the internet like this one, but for MN stuff I prefer fishingminnesota.
Have you checked it out?
Got:

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2007, 01:00:22 AM »
Oh my....yes I did.

I'll be going by the name of "killer" which is my real nic name. Here's my avatar:

It's a Newell baitcaster with 50 pound line. I've lived most my life next to Mississipp/St Croix River and love fishing for the big ugly bottom stuff.

That site has lot's of info on smelt, steelhead, and sturgeon which I was looking for.

Thanks.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2007, 04:20:13 AM »
I found this site because of the NEF Handi rifle stuff.
Haven't picked one up yet, leaning toward a muzzleloader to complete my fall deer hunting options.
Currently use .308, shotgun and bow.

I haven't done any smelt, steelhead or sturgeon fishing....yet.
With 2 boys (5&7) we're into crappies, walleyes and sunnies....and deer!
Got:

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Ditto on the NEF bringing me on board. I switched back to the orig stock on my NEF. Still can't decide which new barrel to get...45-70 or 22 hornet.

I did have a NEF 223 in my hands the other month at Gander Mnt but went with a mil-surp and a NEF 12 gauge for the rat shack up north.

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2007, 03:24:58 PM »
The big town of Hawley,MN here currently a [/b] UNION EMPLOYED apprentice plumber. Dont do much deer hunting alot of bird hunting and skeet shooting in the fall tho.

Adam

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2007, 04:04:41 PM »
Welcome, Adam!
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2007, 08:43:53 AM »
slickest you always have coyote to set the gun sights on...year round.

Welcome.

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:43 PM »
I will def have some yotes to set the sights on this year. I will be working town in hettinger,ND if anyone knows where that is. about 75 miles out of dickinson . about 6 1/2hrs out of fargo,ND

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2007, 05:55:37 PM »

Would still love to hunt northern MN someday though----where both my grandparents grew up.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2007, 01:31:26 AM »
TribReady I work with lots of guys from "W".

They always call us "M" guys mudpuppies. 

They don't mean those slimy black things on the bottom of the St Croix river with little legs on them do they?   

Is it true you guys get some kind of royalty checks from the State of "W" from cheese sales?

Welcome 

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2007, 03:55:36 AM »

Is it true you guys get some kind of royalty checks from the State of "W" from cheese sales?

It's true. Every man, woman, and child in the state gets a tax credit for each brat, cheese curd, and beer sold   ;D

Most use any extra $$ to buy Packer apparel   ;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2007, 09:00:39 AM »
Haaaaa...one of my "W" union brothers was over here drinking one night with the boys and when he came out of a Super America he spied a nine foot tall inflatable Viking football player out front. He snapped. He jumped on the inflatable and took it down beating it to a pulp.

I haven't watched the Vikings sine 1975 when I lost a $10.00 bet when I was in the military. I vowed never again.

When I purchased my portable "Otter" fish house a few years ago I got it in Packer green although they offer it in purple. It never dawned on me the colors were made for diff reasons.

Here's the "Otter" in Viking land. I just found out "W" allows spearing for sturgeon and may venture over next winter...might as well pick up some cheese while I'm over there. Cheese really is good stuff!

Offline rifleman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
Welcome slickest!

I'm not too far from you, down in Fergus Falls. If'n you'd like to try some coyotes this fall, just let me know and we can get together sometime.

Dave

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »
rifleman-  You have a lot of yotes around there?  I've always found yote hunting fascinating, but not much of that here in the cities  >:(
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline rifleman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:26 PM »
Yeah, we've got quite a surplus around here. I've got access to quite a few acres hereabouts. My brother in law farms the family farm. His brother works for a farmer that runs about 4500 acres. I know quite a few other farmers, and have gained permission to coyote hunt on their land.

I'm just getting started with coyotes, so I don't claim to be an expert just yet. I bought an ecaller a couple of months ago and and have a few mouth calls. I am pretty well setup for this season. We saw a few during last deer season, and shot two of them.

Dave

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2007, 04:13:25 PM »
I'm from Duluth, MN and i go to my uncle's cabin just outside Finlayson, MN for whitetail , and Sisseton,SD for Pheseant opener.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2007, 08:57:17 AM »
sniper-

Welcome.
HuntingGuy

Offline summitx

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2007, 02:37:11 AM »
Grew up in Vining, went to school in Henning, and been living in Alaska since 88, plan on getting back to Vining area to do some deer hunting this fall. Love it up here as far as fishing and hunting but do miss deer hunt season

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »
Summitx
I'm class of 66 Henning. I've hunted Moose east of Chistochina, and black bears and goats at Jacks Bay out of Valdez. Beautiful country up there. I just got back from Colo Elk hunting. Wish I had a either  sex tag in Co. I would have fill it as it was I never saw a cow, so came home empty handed. Good luck around Vinning. I'll be north of Henning if I decide to hunt this year. I may go for pheasent  in ND instead

Offline summitx

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »
curteric
 I'm class 84, got out of the Corp in 88 and been here ever since live in Anchorage but work in Glennallen so I know of the area were you went moose hunting and did some commercial fishing out of Valdez and a few other spots as well. Lucked out up here and had a cow tag for a moose this year so that made moose hunting a little easier. Plan to head to Col next year for a deer hunt. Steve

Offline blackbear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2007, 11:34:29 AM »
Northern Minnesota. I am retired and live in the woods. Much of my time is devoted to Black Bear research. My "kids" own and operate a bear guide service. I help them out during their busy months (bait, tracking etc.).
Teach a kid to shoot, hunt and vote.

Offline whiskybill

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
Hi live in Cottage Grove spend all the time I can at the cabin in Hinckley. I deer hunt do some fishing ride atv, reload and punch holes in alot of stuff. Have gone hog hunting went antelope and doe mule deer hunting last oct in SD. Plan on going bear hunting in Canada and caribou hunting also. Right now getting tired of the cold weather.  Collecting social security disability so I have all the time in the world but never enough money.