Author Topic: Strange case indeed  (Read 819 times)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Strange case indeed
« on: August 24, 2006, 04:05:58 AM »
 Re: Strange case indeed
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 07:14:24 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I started showing an interest in what he was shooting and from the groups on target at 50yds hardly larger than one hole as near as I could tell through a spotting scope, then the guy became agitated and nervous and left in a hurry. I should have asked him for his membership card but didn't.

The case is marked super-X 30-06 and measures the same as near as I can tell with plastic caliper dial type instrument. the oal is 1.83 the mouth of the case is chamfered. inside measure is .419. outside is .445. Looks like an 06 cut just behind the shoulder by .10.  Near as I can tell from the fired case seating depth is .40. guessing from what I saw of the bullet oal with the bulletwould be 2.40" Looked like a hornady 405 sp interlock.

I cannot think of a use that is not covered by a 444, unless with the reduced recoil it could be used in an auto rifle for faster shooting. I know that the auto mag was based on the o6 cases cut down and reamed. So what do we have here the superautomag for a carbine, m1 garand type wepon. a double tap with something like that wouldn't be necessary. He was using a bolt action rifle?

Anybody know what diameter of bullet would fit inside a cut down 30 06?

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 04:34:30 AM »
Without reaming, a .41
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:14:24 AM »
Deo duce, ferro comitante